Bows & Crossbows | Compound Bow "Parker Python"

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
7%
1 - Very poor
2%
2 - Poor
1%
3 - Average
7%
4 - Good
21%
5 - Excellent
62%

Total votes: 223
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Bows & Crossbows | Compound Bow "Parker Python"

Post by HooCairs »

I disagree that the bow is "very week". It used to be, but not anymore. You can drop every animal in the game instantly with the Parker. Just as an example, watch this scene dropping a brown bear at 40m. And this was back in the days when all weapons were still shaking quite a bit.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

I have 250 harvests with this bow so it can't be that bad, I suck so hard with the bows.

Like others I would put this just behind the new Pulsar bow in regards usefullness
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

The Parker is still my favorite. You can jump out from behind a tree, draw and shoot. Can't do this with the Pulsar unless it is a really dull animal. Also the Rangefinder is a big advantage. Spook distances appear to be equal.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Sqwertle
Tracker

Post by Sqwertle »

HooCairs wrote:I disagree that the bow is "very week". It used to be, but not anymore. You can drop every animal in the game instantly with the Parker. Just as an example, watch this scene dropping a brown bear at 40m. And this was back in the days when all weapons were still shaking quite a bit.
Hah I had actually already seen that video of yours.. nice one :D. Maybe I am just not as good with the bow yet, cause I had gotten used to the strength and power of snakebite. I was basing the strength on how it performs at archery addictions as well... solid lung shots on the animals at 60-80 only come back as body shots.
willybepop
Hunter

Post by willybepop »

It's the first weapon in the game that I really love. I've got over 1000 kills with mine. I almost no longer even look at the rangefinder, gotten so used to judging the distance.

On a side note, the bow is fast. I've spooked hogs and was able to bring it up and draw before the hog got to me. I tried this with the Pulsar the other day with a polar bear. I was a frozen Popsicle for the polar bear before I could even get the arrow out of the STUPID quiver.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

What I like about the pulsar that the python doesn't have is:
Much more powerful
More stable
Just as quiet if not more quiet
Looks nicer
All python has it has a rangefinder sight and draws faster. It sucks for elk becasue it always get a single lung from front on. Good for deer and coyotes but for elk,etx not the ideal choice
Sqwertle
Tracker

Post by Sqwertle »

With nearly 100 harvests this bow has really grown on me... I have gotten much better with it and I love how quiet it is. Haven't brought the snakebite out since I bought this with the rangefinder. Have grown to prefer bow hunting over rifles whenever possible, since you never know what is waiting just out of sight. I'd change my rating to "good" if not excellent at this point.
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

nosnerb wrote:...
All python has it has a rangefinder sight and draws faster. It sucks for elk becasue it always get a single lung from front on. Good for deer and coyotes but for elk,etx not the ideal choice
I may be missing something, but I alway thought that hitting both lungs by frontal shot is extremely rare. How do you think lungs are positioned in the body?
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Rated excellent after a couple dozen kills.

Purchased this one after about 900 Heavy Recurve kills. I'm very good with aiming the Heavy Recurve by now, but the Parker Python is excellent for taking longer-range shots. The sight you can buy is phenomenal (I haven't really used the iron sights yet). Some have complained about the blinking lights, but I really like it. It's a fun switch from the traditional low-tech to this.

I'd tried a crossbow, and it's so silent and powerful that it really feels like cheating--like a somewhat shorter-range rifle that doesn't spook everything. I didn't enjoy it; it wasn't fun. This bow still has excellent silence--it's VERY quiet even compared to the Heavy Recurve. It surpised me having animals only a couple dozen yards off that didn't spook from its shots. But, performance-wise, it's not as powerful. I have had deer with single lung shots run 300+ yards. The penetration is still good--you can still hit through both lungs when broadside--but if you miss an instant kill, the animal will flee and spook others nearby.

That is, of course, to be expected, and it's entirely fair. It feels less cheaty than the crossbow to me as a result. It feels like a good, balanced, realistic weapon that requires good placement to make the most of, and that's fine. It is like using a very realistic weapon in a realistic situation, and I very much enjoy that. It is not by any means weak, mind you. Good placement will still instantly drop your targets and fully penetrate (I'm hunting primarily elk, and deer). Sidenote, the stability of the weapon is fantastic. Very easy to aim even at low skill, with minimal wobble. The bow can, as others have mentioned, also be drawn/nocked very quickly.

As a final note, the sounds--the quiet click of slotting an arrow into place, and the slight "whiz" as you draw or gently release the string--are fantastic. Really nice to listen to.

So, in summary:
- Purchaseable sight is great
- Extremely quiet (and the noises are pleasant)
- Great range for a bow
- Good penetration
- Very stable
- Draws quickly

Only downside, for me, compared to Heavy Recurve, is that the initial shot (if placement isn't perfect) doesn't seem to do as much damage, with animals taking longer to bleed out. That's it though. Highly recommended.
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

This is my best bow! The rangefinder scope is a bit must but it feels a bit like cheatin :)

Return to “Store Item Reviews”