Bows & Crossbows | Recurve Bow

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
12%
1 - Very poor
4%
2 - Poor
2%
3 - Average
12%
4 - Good
39%
5 - Excellent
31%

Total votes: 143
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Bows & Crossbows | Recurve Bow

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

kahuamp wrote:How does it compare to the Cable-Backed bow?

I couldn't find any info on it in the Store items reviews....
The cable-backed bow is weaker and doesn't have the same effective distance as the recurve. It is a very fun bow, and certainly shouldn't be overlooked simply because it's a bit more challenging.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Tobi_1989

Post by Tobi_1989 »

Old comment:
Spoiler:
Was this bow nerfed in any way since 2016?

Just bought it and after some testing in archery range in Redfeather Falls i concluded it can't penetrate bones and struggles with soft tissue even at ranges under 20 meters.

Tested at the leftmost "Whitetail" target, which iIRC Is about 10-15m far, both the Snakebite and Parker Python scored shoulder blade + double lungs through the front leg, double lungs right behind it and skull + brain to the head while the Recurve did only "body" hits to shoulder and head and single lung behind the front leg.

Single elk came by later so i could try the bow on some actual animal.
Long story short, after over 1 km of tracking the elk, shot by two arrows to the chest around shoulder (first one from front, second squarely from side, both about 20-25m) which would otherwise mean lung shots, was sitting there, exhausted and waiting for the mercy shot.

From point-blank range, the arrow couldn't penetrate his skull through the eye and i had to use fourth one to finish him off.

Now, i realise i'm not the best shot with the bow, but if i was using any of the compound bows He would drop much sooner and it certainly wouldn't took four arrows.
EDIT: It's the arrow choice. To any newbie out there like myself: Don't try to make the cupid arrows work in this, like ever.
It might seem like good idea, especially if you already have those for your compound bow, but they work terribly in it and you'll lose virtually all the performance not just on longer ranges like with the compounds, but even on point-blank ranges. Just switching from Cupids to regular arrows the bow went from absolutely anemic toy unable to penetrate into Whitetail's soft parts any deeper than by its arrow head to absolute beast sinking the arrow almost whole.
Last edited by Tobi_1989 on April 19th, 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

The recurve is one of my favorite weapons next to the reverse draw crossbow. I give it a five out of five. The suggestions I can think of is I’d like it if the traditional recurve was a one piece instead of the three piece model. Other than that, beautiful bows! The challenge of hunting with these is fun.

For the ten point crossbow I’d like to see more skin variations like the reverse draw has.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Pattski wrote:I like all bows but the recurve is in a class for it self, that`s a awesome bow with alot of killing in it.

Mine is called "Bettan" when im out hunting with her.
Bettan huh? That’s cute. Why Bettan? I’ve named my guitar. Never thought about naming a weapon in the hunter but you gave me an idea to. :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:
Pattski wrote:I like all bows but the recurve is in a class for it self, that`s a awesome bow with alot of killing in it.

Mine is called "Bettan" when im out hunting with her.
Bettan huh? That’s cute. Why Bettan? I’ve named my guitar. Never thought about naming a weapon in the hunter but you gave me an idea to. :)
Its from the disney Robin Hood movie.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”