Handguns | .308 "Rival" Handgun

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
26%
1 - Very poor
12%
2 - Poor
17%
3 - Average
22%
4 - Good
13%
5 - Excellent
10%

Total votes: 156
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Handguns | .308 "Rival" Handgun

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I rated this weapon "very poor". The new Hirschfeld Travel Mission requires the harvest of a wild boar with this gun. I shot 3 of them, all under 30 meters, and all in the sweet spot. Didn't harvest any of them. Tracked all 3 for hours. Just take a look at my hunt history on 3-7-15 at Hirsch.

http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/ehr_w ... n/46797550

11.22 kilometers chasing down wounded wild boars.

The one I finally harvested, I waited until he was 20 meters away, with a roe deer closing fast, and he still ran for 50 meters.

Crappy weapon.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Daugr
Scout

Post by Daugr »

I don't use it a lot in-game and then just as an "emergency rifle" for the holster at a bow hunt. So it is more than the less average, but definetly not a must-have.
plasmaflare
Hunter

Post by plasmaflare »

Waste of money now, used to be worth your time to own and carry. Poor at best.
MeistaRulez
Scout

Post by MeistaRulez »

Very poor.

Horrible at anything big past 20m.
I expected to get a small handgun that packed a really big punch...intead I got a slingshot.

This is why we need a rifle-range to test out new equipment before buying.
And I could bite myself for not checking out this thread first...

Don't buy it, it's a waste if money and frustration is guaranteed.
redArrow2
Tracker

Post by redArrow2 »

mapache01 wrote:I wish the scope of this on the .357 and .44 that 2x scope sucks
Yes, I was actually interested in this one for the 4x scope, but when I read how inaccurate it is after 20meter after ballistics changes, I'm going to stick with the .44.
So what have you achieved now developers? People who feel like they've wasted money, they are unhappy and their comments are encouraging me to keep the $10 (handgun + scope) in my pocket.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

redArrow2 wrote:
mapache01 wrote:I wish the scope of this on the .357 and .44 that 2x scope sucks
Yes, I was actually interested in this one for the 4x scope, but when I read how inaccurate it is after 20meter after ballistics changes, I'm going to stick with the .44.
So what have you achieved now developers? People who feel like they've wasted money, they are unhappy and their comments are encouraging me to keep the $10 (handgun + scope) in my pocket.
No one is saying there is a problem with it's accuracy, it's just fine. They are complaining that it's power (penetration/damage) is not great enough after the ballistics change last summer. It used to pack more of a wallup, but now it's a bit weak for a .308. It will still bring down all the medium and large animals in the game, but you'd better hit vitals, or you're in for a long track. They reduced the power of the .44 in the same update, but it still does much better than the .308 handgun.
Personal Bests...
SloNeZ
Scout

Post by SloNeZ »

Used to be a hand cannon, now it's a palm puppy.
Looks good in Trophy shots though, if you're lucky enough to win the lung lottery and score a kill shot.
I still like it, I just wish the trend toward less lethal weapons would stop. Hunting weapons are meant to kill, not maim.
What's happening in game is a lot like taking half the powder out of a load to make things more "challenging". I don't get why a weapon actually killing things is such a bad thing.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

I'm going to rate Average on this one mainly because it's a nice looking handgun and has a nice scope reticle.
However like a lot of people say it's not a very powerful handgun, it all depends on what animal you use it on.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

I finally got it and thought it was gonna be a hell of a grind like the .357 foxy lady was (never hit vitals, extremely short range etc) but after around 25 kills I don't think it is too bad at all; hitting good vitals on red deer and brown bear, also with pigs, on ranges up to 100m.
It does shoot pretty high, though (I don't own the scope for it, but even so it shoots a lot high at less than 50m), so maybe that has something to do with the body hits. Not saying you old timers don't know how to aim; I just was kinda surprised about its performance after reading so many people cursing it.
I'll keep my vote to when I have more kills to propperly judge it.
Spoiler:
Justaurus

Post by Justaurus »

Not happy with it at all. I debated purchasing the Highwayman version of this gun. Very thankful I did not but regretting even purchasing the .308 Rival. Like many others have posted and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best in game by a long shot but I know how to aim for vitals and more often than not I seem to get "Body" with this gun,it took just three shots at hogs to make me put it away. My wife hunts with the .357 and has far better luck with it, so I'd definitely recommend the .357 and/or .44 long before I would recommend the .308 Rival or Highwayman. Of the weapons I do own this is the first one I felt was off and not worth the investment. If given the chance I'd trade it in for the .357 or .44 in a heartbeat.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”