Handguns | .308 "Rival" Handgun

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
26%
1 - Very poor
12%
2 - Poor
17%
3 - Average
22%
4 - Good
13%
5 - Excellent
10%

Total votes: 156
Velaria

Re: Handguns | .308 "Rival" Handgun

Post by Velaria »

I selected Very Poor, I as others are not the best hunter, but I have taken time to learn the vital points and the nuances of hitting my mark. Day by day I learn more,however my husband is often right on par when it comes to his shots, and I have never seen so many body shots or need to tracks come from him since we started playing. I purchased the gun the same day he did, and I regret going for it over the 44. I have not even pulled it out of its holster due to what I have seen with his hunts with the gun.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Finished my 250 kills with it last night.
For the last 100 or so I had the ease of the scope (and what a scope! I want it for my revolvers!).
I must say it is really annoying when an apparently good shot renders a body hit. But on the other hand I heart shot pigs at long range (up to 191m), which is not easy but doable.
Very versatile gun, more than the revolvers. Shooting at deer sized game even a body shot at 200m is a kill.
Rated average. Idk if I will be carrying it around a lot now, but maybe I will. Would be excellent if it had 15% more power.
Spoiler:
Pattski
Scout

Post by Pattski »

Like this one, alot.
Has saved me many many times :)
Have both of them.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

Has this gun become stronger again?
Bought it today because the sale was just too good, and at 80m I still got single lung on moose on the archery addiction range.
Also at 50m I single lunged a red deer that died in 7s.
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

I rated it 'Excellent'. It is my favourite handgun I own in-game.

For a start, I think it is gorgeous to look at. Also, being a .308, I find it drops whatever I point it at easily [so long as I am sensible with range]. The scope is great too.

I can't fault it.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

I really think this gun is underappreciated.
A lung shot on a feral hog at almost 70m!
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/prin ... /471772752

A roo at almost 100m with 100hv!
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/prin ... /471767577
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

"This innovative single-shot weapon combines the mobility of a handgun with the power of a hunting rifle."

This is the problem of this gun. The store description says to compare it to a rifle. If players would compare it to other hand guns it would most likely have mostly "good" and "excellent" ratings.
To me it's the most usefull hand gun we have.

1. It's ethical for more species than any other handgun.
2. I know for sure that it works better than the .44 on all animals that gun is ehtical for.
3. I do not own a .45 but from what I have seen it performs better than that one on all ethical species too.
4. The .454 has better wounding but isn't ethical for a whole lot animals this gun is ethical for.

To me it's the best handgun in the game and most of these negative reviews feel a bit unfair (though perhaps the weapon perfomed worse than now at some point in time).
slazia
Tracker

Post by slazia »

Why is this so weak? Surely, a. 308 is gonna hit very hard, even from a pistol barrel.
Zarpa
Tracker

Post by Zarpa »

Prinz1989 wrote:To me it's the best handgun in the game and most of these negative reviews feel a bit unfair (though perhaps the weapon perfomed worse than now at some point in time).
Yes it did. Not only this gun, the whole .308 calibre was meh before the ballistics update. Now it's okish, and this handgun is a beast for the reasons you stated above.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I've recently begun hunting with it again. I bough it when it came out, and until a couple of days ago I only had 26 kills with it. Most of it was for a weapon specific mission. I rated it back then as very poor, and still do. The reason is from 23 meters, squared up broadside on a red deer hind, the penetration was only one lung. Shot a wild boar dead center on the brain from 12 meters and he ran for 175 meters, recovered completely from the wound, and I had to track him down, shoot him again in the brain (again he ran, this time for 150 meters). This gun is weak.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “Store Item Reviews”