Rifles | .22 Air Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
11%
2 - Poor
16%
3 - Average
22%
4 - Good
22%
5 - Excellent
15%

Total votes: 206
jttoo
Hunter

Re: Rifles | .22 Air Rifle

Post by jttoo »

I also purchased this for the cottontail and euro rabbit missions, and have found the weapon to be quite frustrating to use. The cottontails rarely stay still long enough to get such a precision shot as needed with this weapon, but I eventually completed it. I gave up on the European Rabbit mission, as I can't get them to come out of their burrows long enough to be able to get a shot off. I am sitting in a tripod stand, 15m away from a bunch of burrows, and they stay in there, and when they do come out, they either immediately hop right back in, or run to another burrow and dive in. Hardly enough time for a .22 shot. A shotgun would be fine, as they could be blasted while they are running for the burrow.

How do you all manage to hunt European Rabbits with anything other than a shotgun?
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

Try moving back around 40 meters away from burrows.
Spoiler:
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

jttoo wrote:I also purchased this for the cottontail and euro rabbit missions, and have found the weapon to be quite frustrating to use. The cottontails rarely stay still long enough to get such a precision shot as needed with this weapon, but I eventually completed it. I gave up on the European Rabbit mission, as I can't get them to come out of their burrows long enough to be able to get a shot off. I am sitting in a tripod stand, 15m away from a bunch of burrows, and they stay in there, and when they do come out, they either immediately hop right back in, or run to another burrow and dive in. Hardly enough time for a .22 shot. A shotgun would be fine, as they could be blasted while they are running for the burrow.

How do you all manage to hunt European Rabbits with anything other than a shotgun?
Euro rabbits can smell you if you are on wrong side of the wind. Find a direction where they can't smell you and they will stay on the surface even if you are quite close to them.
Colin Walker
Scout
Location: ScouseLand, United Kingdom 53°28'58.9"N 2°52'51.4"W

Post by Colin Walker »

voted poor
Season 39

Range record- Season 23, Season 25, Season 37 Dall Sheep
PB range, Xbow 580.470, Bow 471.180, Rifle 609.050 , Pistol 274.90, No scope rifle 571.280

2016 Season 16
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

For the limited use that this toy is applicable for, it should come with a scope and you should not have to purchase a 6kGM scope to make the thing useful at all. Either that or be able to use a scope that fits another rifle. I found it very difficult hunting Euro rabbits with this gun without a scope.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

I voted: 1, Very poor, would give a lower rating of 0 if it was not taken up by "Have not used option"
Worst air rifle currently, such long waiting times in between shots, you literally have 1 shot to headshot a running European Rabbit or you will get doc's love letters.
I can't imagine how people did the duck air rifle mission...
Also might have more bullet drop then the .22 plintington, but not sure about that.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Do not waste your money on this completely ineffective weapon.

I want and bought the scope, as you need to get distance from the rabbit burrows in order to get them to come out at all. This toy only gets body shots on rabbits at 40m. Complete waste of money, and I'm quite ***** that I wasted $13600 GM's on this completely useless toy.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

The scope is pretty much mandatory imo, improves the experience by a ton. And allows you to take very long shots - you can always see where the pellet lands. It even makes camping at a distance from euro burrows fun. Before I got the scope though I was hating it.
curlyCoyote wrote:I can't imagine how people did the duck air rifle mission...
Like the bow missions - just wait for them to fly near, or even better, directly towards you.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Right, you need the scope because you need distance from the euro rabbit burrows in order to get them to come out. Then the problem becomes ineffective killing power unless you get precise head shots.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

jttoo wrote:Right, you need the scope because you need distance from the euro rabbit burrows in order to get them to come out. Then the problem becomes ineffective killing power unless you get precise head shots.
You can still camp close if you want, scope makes that a lot easier too.

Killing from 100m+ and having to correct for drop and wind is kinda fun though. And pellets are cheap!
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Return to “Store Item Reviews”