Rifles | 8x57 IS K98k Bolt-Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
3%
2 - Poor
1%
3 - Average
9%
4 - Good
31%
5 - Excellent
43%

Total votes: 182
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

fantastic rifle . my only regret is to have waited so long before purchasing it
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | 8x57 IS K98k Bolt-Action Rifle

Post by Jack.Grave »

My overall rating is Excellent without any doubt! Even halfskilled shooter (like me) is capable to kill any animal with ironsights up to 150 m with clean shot, with scope up to 230 m (maybe more). IMHO sounds are pretty decent. Overall look good ole Man 'o War, battle proven, godfather of almost all hunting rifles of modern age. 5/5. Jack
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

I refrained to buy it for a long time since I already had another 8x57, but what I can say is: it is amazingly beautiful, seems to reload faster than the Anschutz and awesome iron sights (I don't own the scope, neither plan to): got a red deer at 194m at level 2, so imagine what I will be able to do at level 7 (already told Tony I'm going to shoot a bear at 340+m when I'm more skilled with it).
Spoiler:
Vulcade
Scout

Post by Vulcade »

This is my favourite rifle, thanks to its beauty, versatility and performance. I prefer the sight, it feels more accurate because it's less obstructing (no mark directly ON the target). The scope works fine for every range I encounter (I don't go out of my way for extreme range).
marcomies
Tracker

Post by marcomies »

It's a great rifle with versatile caliber if you want to use iron sights (they are well aligned and don't stutter as much as most). It's not a real option for perfect long range shots though since it only has 4X scope.
Derpy_McDerpyson
Scout

Post by Derpy_McDerpyson »

First kill I got with this rifle was a 200m shot on a hog. No complains. Wish it had different options for optics, but the 4x works well and is really the only scope that fits the rifle design.
K4n4y
Hunter

Post by K4n4y »

Got it since a few but never used it much before, bought it when they done a discount some times ago but I don't own the scope for it.

It's a mixed bag for me, i used this rifle a lot in Red Orchestra series games and was able there to get iron sighted shots at ranges where what you was aiming at was not more than 4 or 5 pixels on screen covered by the top of the pin sight when aiming at them so i'm a bit biased when it comes to this rifle judgment, keep in mind that i am by no means expert of rifles too.

First thing : the sights, to be exact the little pin in the middle appearing not correctly, never displaying as a small well shaped triangle like it should, sometimes looking like a small beam and not a triangular pin and sometimes as a bad shaped triangle :

In game picture Zoomed x3 times with all GFX settings at max , including anti aliasing at x8
This is what it should look like ( zoom on pictures as they are not really of good quality but you should get the idea ) :
http://www.gunpics.net/ironsights/k98.html

This alone is one of the reason i didn't touched it much after buying it, the open sights that i use only in theHunter as not having the scope for this rifle were very disappointing.

I was used to correctly shaped sights and here they are almost always not correctly shaped plus misaligned by a bit like with many rifles iron sights in theHunter, this makes the precise shots at long ranges completely wonky if you don't go for big animals, another thing i miss coming from Red Orchestra is the possibility to adjust the range of the iron sights 100-200-300m. etc, it's weird to shoot something at 60m and at 150m+ using the same iron sights settings and view, we probably won't ever see such options in the hunter but Dev's should take a look at what some games like RO2 and see what they do in this domain both for iron sights and scope ranges settings, will really make the game great.

Sounds : the muffled shooting sound does not bother me, it makes it interesting and different from other rifles in fact but the reload sound have a kind of metallic digital small echo that makes it really really bad, hopefully you don't reload often and sounds don't bother me much with this rifle

Look : the design is pretty well done, the wood color could have been a more bit dark but it's ok like this, on this point nothing to say from a third view point only, first person aimed rifle is like explained disappointing due to sights design.

There is almost no sway using it without scope, still at low level 2 for me but not a problem, i guess i am used to greater sway so it's fine.

Overall : using it more and more recently with no scope it's always a great sensation to drop something at long ranges with it, like yesterday a walking roe deer shot at 186 meters, those tiny targets shot at long ranges are satisfying but the sights bad shape, the misalignment of them and the fact that you can't adjust the range with them is a big let down for me.

Will continue to use it and make some kills with it, probably will have a very low hit % with this rifle as i try to hit small things at long ranges for the challenge it is and the sights being how they are it's easy to miss.

This rifle could have been a must in game for iron sights shooting and it turns out to be a great deception for me.
Maybe one day they will add the Ajack 6x or even a Zeiss Zielsechs 6x sniper scopes that are possible to mount on this for this rifle for what i know, the only scope we get in game right now isn't attracting me.

Rated average after hesitating with poor as it's still fun to drop something with them but there is too many downsides, again I'm biased when it comes to this rifle as I used it a lot in games where they were well designed, plus i don't own the scope for this one so it's only based on the rifle itself using iron sights.
Milic
Outfitter

Post by Milic »

I just love it! Who can resist its looks?
EvanWeeks

Post by EvanWeeks »

Just used this for the first time last night, on a smallish kangaroo @ 114 meters, with the vintage German scope and its post-style reticle. It dropped the 'roo within a few hops of the hit. The sound was a booming report that sounded a lot like the real-world rifle (my dad has one, and it manages to be louder than the mosin nagant I used to own). The recoil was about right as well, since the real-world rifle kicks like a six-legged ninja on cocaine.

As far as its utility goes, I don't really know how to rate it without testing it further. I think the model and its sounds are pretty darn accurate, though.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

Very well designed rifle almost dead on with detail to the real life version of the rifle. Nice sound when firing as well.
I would say it's the best rifle in the game for accuracy. Even though some people might say the scope for the gun has low magnification you don't really need any higher to be honest.
I've shot Ibex so many times at 200M+ and can get pixel perfect accuracy with the scope on. Heck even Iron sights is good.

Rated good.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox

Return to “Store Item Reviews”