Rifles | 8x57 IS K98k Bolt-Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
14%
1 - Very poor
3%
2 - Poor
1%
3 - Average
9%
4 - Good
31%
5 - Excellent
43%

Total votes: 182
vittring
Tracker

Re: Rifles | 8x57 IS K98k Bolt-Action Rifle

Post by vittring »

This rifle is powerful and deadly.
The iron sights are the best of ANY rifle in the game, if you like to use iron sights this is the best one.
Whoever made this rifle, knew how the game should be played.

Rated Excellent, just because of the awesome iron sights!

It's affected by the unfixed ghost shell bug/animation, as many other rifles though. http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=64730
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

Rated excellent. Bought yesterday and I love it. Powerful, fast, just everything I want in a rifle like this. I also love the challenge the scope provides.
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

Couldn't resist to buy this from the sale. Looks good and nicely detailed. It has a sound glitch when loading the magazine, some cartridges doesn't make a sound when they go in. Handles pretty well, has some sway but not that bad for low levels. Bolt action is quick and smooth, so follow ups are easy to make. Scope is weak as would expect from old scope, but you can still hit well even longer distances. Iron sights are good but front sight is bit difficult to see against dark background. Ballistics seems to be same with 8x57 IS Anschütz, same bullet drop and power, so no Moose's from 250m with this one either. Overall it's a good looking and feeling historic rifle, voted good.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Love the iron sights, great for elk in the woods !!! Good overall
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

I LOVE the K98 (ingame AND IRL)

I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Toledo
Spotter

Post by Toledo »

I voted excellent: powerful, beautifully modeled, great sound and iron sights, highly recommended. I never thought I would like classic rifles in this game, but I actually love them.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

Rated: Excellent

Pros:
  • Powerful Cartridge
  • Relatively Steady Aim
  • 5-Round Magazine
Cons:
  • Limited Practical Range (due to sights)
  • 1 Optic
  • Bugged Reloading Sounds
Comments:
Of the 4 "Great War" era rifles, the K98k is arguably the best-in-class pick in terms of power, steadiness, and permissions.
The K98k is the only "classic" rifle permitted for Bison and has the power to do so.
The 8mm trajectory is similar to the .30-06 but comparably hits harder at appropriate ranges.

The steadiness of aiming the K98k is very satisfying.
Even at skill level 1, the K98k does not wander off targets as much as other rifles.
Aiming the K98k may be comparable to the smooth aiming of the 7mm Mag break actions.

My only true complaint is the bugged reloading sounds where cartridge 1 & 4 make a noise when inserted, but 2,3, and 5 do not.
On another note, "body" shots have a better probability of being fatal so the rifle is a bit forgiving in this regard.
Overall, the K98k is a great hunting rifle that can take down targets out to +200m, possibly further when accustomed to the limited sights.

< https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/dubi ... /764709162 >
A 71m shot with just iron/open sights. This iconic rifle is just perfect for trophy shots!
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

The kar-98K was the first thing I bought when I saw it. I just had to have it. A fantastic piece of craftsmanship chambered in 8x57. This gun I have found to be a great all-rounder. Very short and lightweight rifle compared to others of the time. The original German reticule is a little tricky to get used to due to its thickness (I prefer finer crosshairs but I guess you can't beat a classic). I don't know if scope wobble is dependent on gun in this game but I will say that trying to aim this rifle from crouched is rather tricky even at level 5 but provided you can get to a prone position, you can hit well past 100 metres (the real one's practical accuracy was 1000yds so it ought to be). I managed to get a hit from around 150m once but I don't longshot much. Otherwise, I'd recommend everyone at least use the rifle once. Looks nice on my gun rack too. From what I can tell the one featured in game is pre-'39 due to the lack of a hooded sight and the hand-fabricated front band. My favourite types. The scope from what I can tell is not mounted using the traditional mount but maybe someone else could confirm that for me. Maintaining the rifle is made very simple too in real life as the bolt can easily be removed and the firing pin is easily disassembled from the bolt using the hole in the side of the stock.

Last edited by Modifly1 on April 18th, 2023, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

knott wrote:Rated poor.

Sound is really bad and muffled.

The sight is not thought out at all. Big and bulky and not very practical as a hunting rifle. The magnification is a bit to low for the tower hunting too.
Reading such remarks makes me swat my forehead!
This is basically a recreation of the sniper version of the Mauser K98 K! Including the sight picture. They were used extensively for hunting after WW I in the Mauser K98 variant and after WW 2 in the carbine variant due to easy availability.

"Big and bulky and not very practical as a hunting rifle." Indeed because it was a combat rifle.

"The magnification is a bit too low for the tower hunting too." It uses the German reticle #1 which was developed for fast target acquisition and many modern combat sights are variants of it. Also, some people can hit with it:

The Kar98k Sniper Rifle and the WW2 German Sniper
https://youtu.be/UeXZEheGeik

Kar98k + Zf 39 Sniper to 1,100yds: Practical Accuracy
https://youtu.be/bdxVqFX9Iwo

wow, I really resurrected an old post there, but I love my historicals and of course especially the Germans.
Code: Select all
Modifly1
Tracker

Post by Modifly1 »

Historicals can do quite the sterling job. My kar 98 has served me exceptionally well in game so far. As for the weight complaint by some, sure It's heavy compared to sporting rifles, but it's still far lighter than other rifles of it's time. The M1 Garand was about 5.3kg whereas a really lightweight Kar 98 (with the one piece original stock and not the denser laminated stocks) could weigh in at 3.7kg which isn't too bad and is still lighter than even the No.4 SMLE which was over 4kg and the lightest Mk1 was about 3.96kg. It's length is fairly average at 1.1m but still slightly smaller than many existing rifles. The kar 98 is a classy rifle. It's not one you buy because you want to buy a rifle. There are many great rifles in game you can pick from, especially if you want something 'sporty'. No, you buy a kar98 because you want a kar98

This is my rifle...it's a Mauser...it mauses.

Return to “Store Item Reviews”