Rifles | .270 Bolt Action Rifle

Forum for collecting user comments, reviews and media relating to all theHunter Store items.

How would you rate this item?

0 - Do not own / have not used
7%
1 - Very poor
4%
2 - Poor
6%
3 - Average
29%
4 - Good
37%
5 - Excellent
16%

Total votes: 177
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Rifles | .270 Bolt Action Rifle

Post by caledonianblues »

.270 Bolt Action Rifle
The .270 rifle is for shooters that want more power than the .243 but not the massive recoil and weight of the .300 class rifles. While not suitable for big game like Moose and Bear this rifle excels vs. medium sized game such as Mule Deer, Whitetail and Blacktail Deer.

See it here in the store.

See the composite version here in the store.

Please leave your comments, reviews and media relating to this item below. As this is a weapon, additional information relating to weapon penetration would be extremely useful. Screenshots and YouTube videos are welcome.
Knut
Outfitter

Re: Rifles | .270 Bolt Action Rifle

Post by Knut »

I can't really condense it down to what is the reason, but I find myself liking this rifle far more than I should from its pure paper form.

It surely is with the wooden stock the best looking of the old single shot bolt-action rifles.
It is very precise with little little wobble and in combination with the 3-9x40 red dot scope I find myself intuitively aiming and shooting better.
It unfortunately has a limiting range of species it is permitted for but on those species the results are really good. On reserves without really big game where this gun wouldn't be permitted for, I really like to use it as my all-purpose gun.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
JackRbbt
Trophy Hunter

Post by JackRbbt »

A good performer for mid-size game and a great rifle for hunting pigs. But from the same class, Blaser R8 6.5x55 is far better!

Rated: Average
Spoiler:

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Should harvest value ever matter more (which I don't hope), I might be using this nicely finished gun more often. Right now I am cowardly relying on stronger rifles.

I like the sound. And I prefer it over its evil twin 6.5x55 Blaser.

Rated "Good".
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

I love this rile but can only rate it as good due to its limits against elk and bear. Will always use again.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

purchased it recently to have 2 weapons for hunting bouquetin and i love that american classic
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

Looking at weapon performance, I think it should be noted as some may not be aware but following the relatively recent update to ballistics, the .270 appears to be the equal and maybe a hair better than the .308. Of course it has a slower rate of fire than the .308 but it still deserves some respect.
khavy
Tracker

Post by khavy »

Excellent- for the permitted game it's one of the best!
Extremly steady, my favorite for long range shoots!
Lem
Scout

Post by Lem »

Was testing this at the AA range and it holds its own in penetration ( cant say for wounding power on 3d targets) with the .308
both can double lung the moose at 60m and single lung and heart at the furthest moose target away. Its nuts that this thing is only marginaly less lethal if at all than the .308.

Yet the .308 is legal for brown bear and moose and the .270 stops at the red deer. Adding black bear and elk to its legal list will really make this gun a great option for a hike hunt round settler creek, whitehart and rougarou.

A revised ethical species list and a face lift much like what the .300 carbon received and this gun could become a fan favorite in the middleweight category of rifles
EvanWeeks

Post by EvanWeeks »

I use a rifle much like this one for hunting in the north GA, a Tikka T3 .270. It's been perfect for the ranges we tend to see here, which is up to about 200 yards. I have found when shooting it out past about 450-500, though, it tends to lose a TON of energy and start dropping like a stone and wobbling. It just doesn't have the mass to maintain energy past that. Shooting at the 600 yard targets at Riverbend Gun Club here in north GA, I have to get lucky to have good hits. On whitetail at 100-200 yds, though, the terminal ballistics are pretty gnarly.

All that to say, I've taken several whitetail in this game at those sorts of ranges and the behavior seems to be pretty well modeled, including ballistics behavior (the .270 is an incredibly flat-trajectory round up until the point it slows down).

Return to “Store Item Reviews”