All Complete!

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Re: All Complete!

Post by Deconstructed »

Here is my hunt link. Did not get a 350 but a 323 and a 338 (and a grizzly). Working on the video, expect that with my voice explanations of stopping short of the 350 later. I assume this will prove the point to a fair enough extent but wait for the video first. Will take a bit. Have some experience creating Youtube videos and want to do it up right.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/deco ... /105509050
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

JimboCrow wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
Deconstructed wrote: I can find/spot/kill any animal in the game with relative ease.
Here's your mission for tomorrow. I'll call it Traditional Elk Hunter. Can you cut the mustard?

This requires a video. I'd like to see how you did it.

One RME bull at least a 350. No shot over 30m.
Must wear buckskins with no scarf or face paint.
Caplock with no scope.
No tree stand, tripod, ground blind. tower etc. On the ground. You can use a boulder.
No calling.
No scent eliminator.
No urine scent.
No wind checker.
2 Attempts.
1 shot at 100%

Have fun.
Cussing me and the rules is allowed.
Ok, fair enough, I'm in. I will do my best to record a video start to finish tomorrow, but I give you my word that I will follow the rules to the letter. However, I have one question: why no wind indicator? You always know the wind when you hunt IRL, why not in this game? That's actually unrealistic isn't it?
We're trying to simulate a hunt in the mountain man era. Call it 1830 to 1850. I agree the hunter needs to know the wind direction but the wind indicator is a more modern method to check it. There are other ways to check the wind in Classic that are more period correct.

I restricted the distance because the .50 cal round ball is not a strong load for bull elk. It's only 175gr and a horrible BC of just.069. That means it slows down fast and loses elevation and energy. It takes 1200lbs of FPE to kill a bull elk. An average load of 90 gr of black powder has only 1250 fpe (foot pounds energy) at the muzzle. At 50 yds it's down to 750 fpe. A .58 cal round ball weighs 280gr and is a much better elk load but is still a short range load. The in game .50 round ball has way more energy than it should but I still use it as I would the real one. Actually, i'd never use it in real life. My Hawken is a .58 cal as was most real Hawkens in the early 1800's and I still used it at short range. The ingame Hawken and I hesitate to call it a Hawken. It's Thompson Centers version to sell to the general public. It's a far cry from a real Hawken. It weighs 8 lbs with a 28" barrel. My Hawken is an exact replica and has a 34" barrel and weighs 11 lbs. Wimps can't shoulder a real Hawken and hold it up long enough for a shot. I could give you a long list of what's wrong with the game Hawken but that's not important. It is what it is. The shorter barrel is another reason the the velocity is low.

So, for realism let's keep the shots close. Good luck on the hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Deconstructed wrote:Here is my hunt link. Did not get a 350 but a 323 and a 338 (and a grizzly). Working on the video, expect that with my voice explanations of stopping short of the 350 later. I assume this will prove the point to a fair enough extent but wait for the video first. Will take a bit. Have some experience creating Youtube videos and want to do it up right.

Good job. I can't wait to see how you did it.

I added the score of antlers to the challenge because it seems in game the bigger score the smarter the bull seems. Do you agree? I didn't want an unexperienced young bull being shot. My ultimate goal is to get on the top 10 of the Leaderboard using this hunting method. It may be a goal i'll never do but we all need something hard to aim at. I haven't been close to the top 10 using any hunting method and gear. I don't know where they find those big bulls?

EDIT...I just looked at your hunt report. It looks in order. Looking forward to seeing the hunt. How do you consider the hunt? Was it difficult?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Sorry, 22SAS_Wimp. I didn't mean to hog your thread. I should have started my own. :oops:
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Here's your mission for tomorrow. I'll call it Traditional Elk Hunter. Can you cut the mustard?
Great mission. Even trough you challenged Deconstructed I wanted to try it myself. I managed to complete this on my first hunt. I don't know what clothing you were implying to but judging what others wrote I think you ment Trapper outfit, which I don't own so I went with full basic gear which give no bonuses of any kind. I also did not use huntermate at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCyVgbUsF7U

This video is short and simple, just to prove the end result. I did take some footage along the hunt that I can piece together when i have more time. I use shadowplay with 5 minute clips.

Hardest part was to fight the muscle memory to not id a call with huntermate when hearing one. Wolfs also gave me hard time by chasing the elk I ended up shooting 2 times away from me. I got lucky that I found him both times and even more lucky that in the end he roamed towards me after being spooked by wolfs.

Hunt link
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andh ... /105512210

Cheers for the challenge.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

Andhii wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
Great mission. Even trough you challenged Deconstructed I wanted to try it myself. I managed to complete this on my first hunt. I don't know what clothing you were implying to but judging what others wrote I think you ment Trapper outfit, which I don't own so I went with full basic gear which give no bonuses of any kind. I also did not use huntermate at all.

This video is short and simple, just to prove the end result. I did take some footage along the hunt that I can piece together when i have more time. I use shadowplay with 5 minute clips.

Hardest part was to fight the muscle memory to not id a call with huntermate when hearing one. Wolfs also gave me hard time by chasing the elk I ended up shooting 2 times away from me. I got lucky that I found him both times and even more lucky that in the end he roamed towards me after being spooked by wolfs.

Hunt link

Irony it's a 383. You'll have to watch my upcoming video for the context on that. Good job.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Andhii wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:

Hunt link

GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!! You had to travel a bit to get it and ended up in my favorite type of terrain. Plus, you shot a good bull. I couldn't ask for a better result. I would have preferred the trapper binos but that's nitpicking. Yes, buckskins are the Trapper outfit. I've called them buckskins for so many years I do it without thinking now. Although mine are made from elk hide, so not really buckskins. Elk is much more durable.

That's again for joining in on this. It does my heart good seeing someone else hunt like this. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Deconstructed wrote:Here is my hunt link. Did not get a 350 but a 323 and a 338 (and a grizzly). Working on the video, expect that with my voice explanations of stopping short of the 350 later. I assume this will prove the point to a fair enough extent but wait for the video first. Will take a bit. Have some experience creating Youtube videos and want to do it up right.

I added the score of antlers to the challenge because it seems in game the bigger score the smarter the bull seems. Do you agree? I didn't want an unexperienced young bull being shot. My ultimate goal is to get on the top 10 of the Leaderboard using this hunting method. It may be a goal i'll never do but we all need something hard to aim at. I haven't been close to the top 10 using any hunting method and gear. I don't know where they find those big bulls?

EDIT...I just looked at your hunt report. It looks in order. Looking forward to seeing the hunt. How do you consider the hunt? Was it difficult?
I agree the really higher scoring animals are indeed harder to get closer to. 338 to 350, no difference at all in animal behaviour, which is why I am fine with the 338. Top 10 leaderboard is totally doable hunting like this but with good shot placement you can easily make a 50-60m shot with the Cap Lock, you may need that extra distance for a truly top tier bull.

I did not hunt any differently than I normally do (much is similar when primarily bow hunting) for the most part. I didn't bother noting if I was in a field or in forest (which I would if wearing 3d instead of the trapper outfit, this was actually a benefit when hunting just Elk). Scent elim not so much an issue with most of the deer species. The main difference was not using a caller, however, nothing new as there are other animals (like Grizzly) which you cannot call. The first Elk came to me unexpectedly and the second was quite close after fast travelling, so it was a short stalk and kill.

I hope you have an hour to kill. I have left most of the video intact as it seems you were most interested in seeing how and understanding why a more experienced player would hunt the way they do. Chapters added if you want to jump around. I started a new Youtube channel just to get this done so now that the delivery vehicle is in place we may be seeing additional videos down the road. Uploaded in 720p, HD yet to be processed but the SD quality video is good to go.

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I would have preferred the trapper binos but that's nitpicking.
No I think that's perfectly fair Pete! This is a mountain man challenge after all! Don't be so easy on them! :twisted:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Deconstructed wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:

I agree the really higher scoring animals are indeed harder to get closer to. 338 to 350, no difference at all in animal behaviour, which is why I am fine with the 338. Top 10 leaderboard is totally doable hunting like this but with good shot placement you can easily make a 50-60m shot with the Cap Lock, you may need that extra distance for a truly top tier bull.

I did not hunt any differently than I normally do (much is similar when primarily bow hunting) for the most part. I didn't bother noting if I was in a field or in forest (which I would if wearing 3d instead of the trapper outfit, this was actually a benefit when hunting just Elk). Scent elim not so much an issue with most of the deer species. The main difference was not using a caller, however, nothing new as there are other animals (like Grizzly) which you cannot call. The first Elk came to me unexpectedly and the second was quite close after fast travelling, so it was a short stalk and kill.

I hope you have an hour to kill. I have left most of the video intact as it seems you were most interested in seeing how and understanding why a more experienced player would hunt the way they do. Chapters added if you want to jump around. I started a new Youtube channel just to get this done so now that the delivery vehicle is in place we may be seeing additional videos down the road. Uploaded in 720p, HD yet to be processed but the SD quality video is good to go.

I hesitate to make this post but it must be said so others will know who decide to try this. Please don't get upset. I can see you put a lot of effort into this.

First off imagine you're a hunter in 1840. Right at the end of the fur trade era. Anything that the hunter didn't have at that time. You don't have either. That means no Huntermate to id tracks or calls. You may use it for navigation only. It takes some control to not bring up the Huntermate when looking at a track or hearing a call but it's part of the challenge. There weren't any range finders either but I don't see it helping that much. Most of us can judge 30m and a few meters over won't make it a bad kill. I use the trapper binos because I love the looks of them and they are PC. I don't expect anybody to buy them just for this challenge. Use the binos that came with the game. Everybody has those.

Now, a couple of nitpicks but i know you want your videos to be good. I had a hard time hearing you on some of it but my hearing is kind of weak from age and shooting too many guns all my life. Just a little louder please. The 2nd nitpick is my only option was auto or 360p. Both were too blurry to watch with the screen expanded.

I'm sorry. I feel bad about doing this.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “Missions”