All Complete!

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: All Complete!

Post by OldMtnMan »

This had inspired me to use the traditional method all the time. Not the best choice for competitions ot getting on the Leaderboard but HooCairs. Not me.

The important part is to enjoy the hunt as much as possible. I know this is what I enjoy the most. It's not the end of the journey that counts. It's the journey itself. It's not the kill result. It's how I got it that I care about.

I'm in a Grizzly competition. I used the modern method so far. I'm going to finish out with my traditional method and stay using it from now on. I give you permission to punch me in the mouth if I don't. Make it a good one. After all. HooCairs about teeth? It makes for a more interesting smile with some missing.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Deconstructed wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
Good job. I can't wait to see how you did it.

I added the score of antlers to the challenge because it seems in game the bigger score the smarter the bull seems. Do you agree? I didn't want an unexperienced young bull being shot. My ultimate goal is to get on the top 10 of the Leaderboard using this hunting method. It may be a goal i'll never do but we all need something hard to aim at. I haven't been close to the top 10 using any hunting method and gear. I don't know where they find those big bulls?

EDIT...I just looked at your hunt report. It looks in order. Looking forward to seeing the hunt. How do you consider the hunt? Was it difficult?
I agree the really higher scoring animals are indeed harder to get closer to. 338 to 350, no difference at all in animal behaviour, which is why I am fine with the 338. Top 10 leaderboard is totally doable hunting like this but with good shot placement you can easily make a 50-60m shot with the Cap Lock, you may need that extra distance for a truly top tier bull.

I did not hunt any differently than I normally do (much is similar when primarily bow hunting) for the most part. I didn't bother noting if I was in a field or in forest (which I would if wearing 3d instead of the trapper outfit, this was actually a benefit when hunting just Elk). Scent elim not so much an issue with most of the deer species. The main difference was not using a caller, however, nothing new as there are other animals (like Grizzly) which you cannot call. The first Elk came to me unexpectedly and the second was quite close after fast travelling, so it was a short stalk and kill.

I hope you have an hour to kill. I have left most of the video intact as it seems you were most interested in seeing how and understanding why a more experienced player would hunt the way they do. Chapters added if you want to jump around. I started a new Youtube channel just to get this done so now that the delivery vehicle is in place we may be seeing additional videos down the road. Uploaded in 720p, HD yet to be processed but the SD quality video is good to go.

I hesitate to make this post but it must be said so others will know who decide to try this. Please don't get upset. I can see you put a lot of effort into this.

First off imagine you're a hunter in 1840. Right at the end of the fur trade era. Anything that the hunter didn't have at that time. You don't have either. That means no Huntermate to id tracks or calls. You may use it for navigation only. It takes some control to not bring up the Huntermate when looking at a track or hearing a call but it's part of the challenge. There weren't any range finders either but I don't see it helping that much. Most of us can judge 30m and a few meters over won't make it a bad kill. I use the trapper binos because I love the looks of them and they are PC. I don't expect anybody to buy them just for this challenge. Use the binos that came with the game. Everybody has those.

Now, a couple of nitpicks but i know you want your videos to be good. I had a hard time hearing you on some of it but my hearing is kind of weak from age and shooting too many guns all my life. Just a little louder please. The 2nd nitpick is my only option was auto or 360p. Both were too blurry to watch with the screen expanded.

I'm sorry. I feel bad about doing this.
I referred to your original challenge post when setting out to do this (which included nothing about the HM). Didn't even think about the HM until I saw Andhii's post after I had already done the hunt and made the video. I think if you watched through the video you can see I could adjust to not using it without to much of an issue. Most of the times I was using it to ID calls I was calling out direction and sometimes distance before I checked to demonstrate that. That first Elk would have been almost an impossible track after I hit it with the bow as it crossed it's own previous tracks 3 times, I'd rather use the HM than get an email from Doc and screw with my bow stats (that matters to me and my style). You might note at times I was ignoring the HM tracking directions as well because I know better than to trust it all the time.

Youtube had yet to process the HD quality video. When posting to Youtube they process SD (360) first and some time later process HD quality which can take time (in particular with an hour long video). In fact, if you check it now the 720p has finished processing and is available. I commented near the start I was finding my mic a little low myself. When editing the video it seemed okay on the volume, I will boost it up in future.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I did mention the HunterMate in a later post and you even quoted it. I should have added it to the list too.

I'll watch the whole video later in 720p. I only watched for 25 min and couldn't take the blurry anymore. I'm blurry enough on my own.

If you think your kill is good and the HunterMate didn't help. That's good with me but i'll still watch it.

btw..The bow is your own challenge. I only asked for the caplock. I've done the bow too with everything else the same and it is a bit harder. Especially, not having the rangefinder for distance.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote: btw..The bow is your own challenge. I only asked for the caplock. I've done the bow too with everything else the same and it is a bit harder. Especially, not having the rangefinder for distance.
Well then, no issue. The Huntermate did not even come into play on the Cap Lock kill.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, i'll watch it after supper. I have a grizz competition to finish.

I'll use the caplock on it now. I have a unique way to hunt for grizz with the caplock. I wait to hear it growling. I then walk towards it, which makes it mad and it will charge me. I can then try for a brain shot as it charges. It works real good or i'm real dead.

Not a method i'd use in real life.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:Ok, i'll watch it after supper. I have a grizz competition to finish.

I'll use the caplock on it now. I have a unique way to hunt for grizz with the caplock. I wait to hear it growling. I then walk towards it, which makes it mad and it will charge me. I can then try for a brain shot as it charges. It works real good or i'm real dead.

Not a method i'd use in real life.
I do the exact same thing with Bison on WRR, only with a crossbow.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Reminds me of COTW. The bison were mental and always charged when shot. The muzzy with mini ball dropped them pretty good. I enjoy Classic so much more than COTW that I deleted it a month ago.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Deconstructed wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:
Deconstructed wrote:Here is my hunt link. Did not get a 350 but a 323 and a 338 (and a grizzly). Working on the video, expect that with my voice explanations of stopping short of the 350 later. I assume this will prove the point to a fair enough extent but wait for the video first. Will take a bit. Have some experience creating Youtube videos and want to do it up right.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/deco ... /105509050
Good job. I can't wait to see how you did it.

I added the score of antlers to the challenge because it seems in game the bigger score the smarter the bull seems. Do you agree? I didn't want an unexperienced young bull being shot. My ultimate goal is to get on the top 10 of the Leaderboard using this hunting method. It may be a goal i'll never do but we all need something hard to aim at. I haven't been close to the top 10 using any hunting method and gear. I don't know where they find those big bulls?

EDIT...I just looked at your hunt report. It looks in order. Looking forward to seeing the hunt. How do you consider the hunt? Was it difficult?
I agree the really higher scoring animals are indeed harder to get closer to. 338 to 350, no difference at all in animal behaviour, which is why I am fine with the 338. Top 10 leaderboard is totally doable hunting like this but with good shot placement you can easily make a 50-60m shot with the Cap Lock, you may need that extra distance for a truly top tier bull.

I did not hunt any differently than I normally do (much is similar when primarily bow hunting) for the most part. I didn't bother noting if I was in a field or in forest (which I would if wearing 3d instead of the trapper outfit, this was actually a benefit when hunting just Elk). Scent elim not so much an issue with most of the deer species. The main difference was not using a caller, however, nothing new as there are other animals (like Grizzly) which you cannot call. The first Elk came to me unexpectedly and the second was quite close after fast travelling, so it was a short stalk and kill.

I hope you have an hour to kill. I have left most of the video intact as it seems you were most interested in seeing how and understanding why a more experienced player would hunt the way they do. Chapters added if you want to jump around. I started a new Youtube channel just to get this done so now that the delivery vehicle is in place we may be seeing additional videos down the road. Uploaded in 720p, HD yet to be processed but the SD quality video is good to go.

Thank you for this video Deconstructed! It was a pleasure watching your playthrough here. That part where you spotted the Elk herd across the river and then decided to cross the river down stream to avoid spooking the animals, I probably would have lost patience and tried to just cross right there and maybe would have spooked the animals away. But normally I'm not trying to get that close. Of course, making that shot at the bull which was obscured by the grass was cool. I'd probably not have been able to take that shot with confidence of making the shot unless I was winging it. It was nice to see how an experienced player goes about such a challenge and see how these things are doable. I look forward to more videos like this if you are inclined to make them. :)
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote: Thank you for this video Deconstructed! It was a pleasure watching your playthrough here. That part where you spotted the Elk herd across the river and then decided to cross the river down stream to avoid spooking the animals, I probably would have lost patience and tried to just cross right there and maybe would have spooked the animals away. But normally I'm not trying to get that close. Of course, making that shot at the bull which was obscured by the grass was cool. I'd probably not have been able to take that shot with confidence of making the shot unless I was winging it. It was nice to see how an experienced player goes about such a challenge and see how these things are doable. I look forward to more videos like this if you are inclined to make them. :)
I was considering starting a channel awhile back. Thought after the fact it would have been really cool to have a video of all 10 kills that won me the summer jackpot comp. Now that I have it setup you can count on more stuff.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

OldMtnMan wrote:Reminds me of COTW. The bison were mental and always charged when shot. The muzzy with mini ball dropped them pretty good. I enjoy Classic so much more than COTW that I deleted it a month ago.
You're preaching to the choir brother, there aren't many fans of COTW hereabouts. Videos posted here of even Diamond hunts in COTW garner so few views you can count them on one hand, sometimes two. And yep, they need to buff the bison and make them a sight more easily spooked in Classic. It's like they think all wild bison are like they are in Yellowstone, almost farm animals.

Return to “Missions”