Magpie Goose Missions

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
muldo
Outfitter

Magpie Goose Missions

Post by muldo »

Took the plunge and purchased 10 decoys and the long and short range caller in the sale.On to Mission 8 now and the first specific weapon/ammo requirement is for .17HMR.HV.
The short range caller is a must, it really brings them in. Several missions involve other animals from the area. Good fun so far. ;)
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Magpie Goose Missions

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Has anyone done mission 10? Harvest an airborne goose from 15 meters or less without using a waterfowl blind. I have tried several different ways to do it, but its almost impossible in SP. I'd appreciate any advice.

Rant: thanks EW for ******* up my shot/kill stats on the longbow for the Canada Goose one, and thanks for ******* up my shot/kill ratio on the .357 pistol for the Mallard Duck one, and it looks like it will be the same with the 10 GA shotgun for the Magpie. Sad, that we have to have gimmicks instead of hunting.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Has anyone done mission 10? Harvest an airborne goose from 15 meters or less without using a waterfowl blind. I have tried several different ways to do it, but its almost impossible in SP. I'd appreciate any advice.
That's the 9th mission.

Go prone about 40-50m from your decoys and toot once in the short range caller when the geese start landing aka gliding down. This should make them to do a last minute turn towards you and all you have to do is shoot one thats about to land on you.

You can also try going prone where the geese normally land without you using the short range caller. Odds are you will be prone where they land this way, ready to get one from less than 15 meters.

There's couple other tricks which you could try but they take abit more effort so hopefully you'll get it done with the above advice :)

Mission #10 is to harvest an airborne magpie goose with any compound bow.

Best of luck!
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Has anyone done mission 10? Harvest an airborne goose from 15 meters or less without using a waterfowl blind. I have tried several different ways to do it, but its almost impossible in SP. I'd appreciate any advice.

Rant: thanks EW for ******* up my shot/kill stats on the longbow for the Canada Goose one, and thanks for ******* up my shot/kill ratio on the .357 pistol for the Mallard Duck one, and it looks like it will be the same with the 10 GA shotgun for the Magpie. Sad, that we have to have gimmicks instead of hunting.
Hi Stan, I just did this mission on the first try. Blind 12 meters from the molds, after you called the short range the geese start to circle in circles above your head. You just have to wait until a goose starts the descent as close as possible. It is not difficult
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Andhii wrote: That's the 9th mission.

Go prone about 40-50m from your decoys and toot once in the short range caller when the geese start landing aka gliding down. This should make them to do a last minute turn towards you and all you have to do is shoot one thats about to land on you.

You can also try going prone where the geese normally land without you using the short range caller. Odds are you will be prone where they land this way, ready to get one from less than 15 meters.

There's couple other tricks which you could try but they take abit more effort so hopefully you'll get it done with the above advice :)

Mission #10 is to harvest an airborne magpie goose with any compound bow.

Best of luck!
fantamichele wrote:Hi Stan, I just did this mission on the first try. Blind 12 meters from the molds, after you called the short range the geese start to circle in circles above your head. You just have to wait until a goose starts the descent as close as possible. It is not difficult
I have tried both of the methods listed. Thank you for the responses.

On yours Andhii, since I was prone, each time the goose got close enough to shoot, it was impossible to raise the weapon high enough. In the same scenario, if I tried to go to crouch, they spooked before they got to me, or were too far gone after they passed. I even tried being prone on the up-slope of a mound of dirt.

On yours fantamichele, how fast can you do this? Have the short range caller ready. As they turn away, toot it. Now put down the caller, grab the weapon, and then get out of the blind and then raise the weapon and fire. Too early and they spook. Too late and they are gone passed me. They glide in way too fast.

So far I have managed one at 17 meters and that was luck. Just out of curiosity, where do you guys have the DPI set on your mouse?

Edit: I tried again, and did some tweaking based on the guides above. I managed to complete it on the first try today. Thanks!

Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

stancomputerhunter wrote:On yours Andhii, since I was prone, each time the goose got close enough to shoot, it was impossible to raise the weapon high enough. In the same scenario, if I tried to go to crouch, they spooked before they got to me, or were too far gone after they passed. I even tried being prone on the up-slope of a mound of dirt.
I also did my mission being prone on a little slope and the goose glided right into my face, shot it about 5m from me while prone.

Try moving you blind further away from decoys and once again toot the short call when they are about to start the landing sequence. This time, when the time is right, jump out of the blind and shoot. It's a bit faster than crouching from prone but you have to get the distance from decoys right. Note that you will exit the blind from the spot you entered.
stancomputerhunter wrote:Just out of curiosity, where do you guys have the DPI set on your mouse?
I use steelseries rival, which has a DPI change button on it. I have 2 pre-set DPI sensitivities on it, 1000 and 1500. I use the 1500 normally and 1000 when doing long range shooting. If I play piccabeen I will compensate for the hardware lag and turn it up to 1700.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

stancomputerhunter wrote:So far I have managed one at 17 meters and that was luck. Just out of curiosity, where do you guys have the DPI set on your mouse?
The mouse settings depend on the mouse settings in the game. In the game I use very low mouse settings (see screenshot).
With these game settings the mouse is set to 50 DPI for long distance shots, 2.000 DPI that I use normally and 8,200 DPI when I use binoculars and when I use the optics to hunt geese.
When I go hunting for geese without optics I use 2,000 DPI sometimes even 500.

montana
Tracker

help?kill magepie geese with compound

Post by montana »

Any body have secrate to kill magpie geese with compound bow in missions.
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Time to pack all of my compound arrows for mission 10, I may be a while.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Been working on it for a week. Over 100 shots..no hits.

Return to “Missions”