Rusa Deer Missions

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Andhii
Scout

Re: Rusa Deer Missions

Post by Andhii »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Muldo, did you finish? If you did, any tips on how to kill two Rusa with one shot? I have got them under a tree stand several times. They will not queue up like the wolves and coyotes and elk do. They are too far apart. Then I tried attracting them 25 meters away. They come at odd times, and by the time the second one shows up, the first one is ready to go. I used urine scent to hold them, and that didn't work either. I had a group of four come one time, but dang they just bunch up too far apart. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Simplest way would be to call few of them to you from treestand and then let the call expire so they walk away, then go down and make a call about 30-40m from the treestand, in an ideal spot. The deers will quickly return and usually settle quick aswell so then don't move around which gives you the chance to move and find a good angle to take the shot. Ideally you want to land that buckshot on lung/heart area for both but if you have a male and a female standing next to each other, the males posture is higher so you might be able to shoot the female to the head/neck area while having the males lungs/heart behind that ready to receive the remaining buckshot.

A good area to attempt this mission is the northern part of the railroad where the railroad goes over the river. There's alot of rusa in the area and you can shoot down on them from the railroad from the optimal range of 30-40m when the buckshot has spred enough to hit both deers with lethal force.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Andhii wrote:
stancomputerhunter wrote:Muldo, did you finish? If you did, any tips on how to kill two Rusa with one shot? I have got them under a tree stand several times. They will not queue up like the wolves and coyotes and elk do. They are too far apart. Then I tried attracting them 25 meters away. They come at odd times, and by the time the second one shows up, the first one is ready to go. I used urine scent to hold them, and that didn't work either. I had a group of four come one time, but dang they just bunch up too far apart. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Simplest way would be to call few of them to you from treestand and then let the call expire so they walk away, then go down and make a call about 30-40m from the treestand, in an ideal spot. The deers will quickly return and usually settle quick aswell so then don't move around which gives you the chance to move and find a good angle to take the shot. Ideally you want to land that buckshot on lung/heart area for both but if you have a male and a female standing next to each other, the males posture is higher so you might be able to shoot the female to the head/neck area while having the males lungs/heart behind that ready to receive the remaining buckshot.

A good area to attempt this mission is the northern part of the railroad where the railroad goes over the river. There's alot of rusa in the area and you can shoot down on them from the railroad from the optimal range of 30-40m when the buckshot has spred enough to hit both deers with lethal force.
Thanks.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Similar experience to you Stan, I'm still trying. Had one decent try when 2 passed with their heads pretty close but neither died. Most often, when I call to a tree stand, they stand one behind the other. Definitely not close enough for a double kill. :(
Thanks for the advice Andhii,10 or 12 Gauge better? What do you think?
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Just had my best effort so far, the female dropped on the spot, the male ran on with an intestines hit. One last try tonight.

Edit- That last try- 2 females ,one dropped on the spot, the second ran off with a body hit. Getting closer but need the Rusa slightly farther away.
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

muldo wrote:Thanks for the advice Andhii,10 or 12 Gauge better? What do you think?
I used the 10ga and got it done first try. I'm sure 12ga works fine too, just my personal preference :)

Edit: Just went out to do it again just to record an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FEV2LApguc
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Andhii wrote:
muldo wrote:Thanks for the advice Andhii,10 or 12 Gauge better? What do you think?
I used the 10ga and got it done first try. I'm sure 12ga works fine too, just my personal preference :)

Edit: Just went out to do it again just to record an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FEV2LApguc
Just watched the video and off to try, thanks buddy.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Wow. Nice one. Have never got two of them that close together. Did you used urine scent? That Stag would have walked straight ahead for me.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Wow. Nice one. Have never got two of them that close together. Did you used urine scent? That Stag would have walked straight ahead for me.
Didn't use spray. The caller will last a good couple minutes and both of these were nearby when I made the call so they came to it rather quickly which gave them more time to stand around before losing interest. Funnily enough, I think that the male started moving due losing interest on the call, and just happened to turn around and walk past the female.

Try attracting multiple deers from treestand and when you have few under you, let the call go old and when they roam about 60m+ away, go down and make a call where you want to shoot them. Rusas won't notice you if you are crouched in the treestand, even without scent eliminator.
muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Job done, 10G shotty and 2 female Rusa dropped on the spot. Thanks for the help Andhii, the method worked well. One doe head and lung, the other, spine at 25m. Completed at the top of the railway tunnel building, having just fast travelled there.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Any ideas on heart shot on male Rusas? I would almost want to call it a bug but frontal shots on rusa males tend to just be body shots? Tried 7x64 and 7mm both should have some penetration? On female rusa I did it on first try but I failed a male rusa at 34 meters to get anything more then body on a frontal shot perfectly centered and standing rusa and failed at 95 metre both 7x64 and 7 mm. I am not aiming on the low side of the heart but if anything a bit high so would expect to get lungs if I miss the heart. Hit lower I am afraid I would get body shot as it might get below the heart. It´s just a shot that always give either lung and or heart on every other species.

Managed it two times now not doing anything different but possible with .308 and 7 mm at least. Last mission 16 gauge and closer range or 10 gauge? I almost had it done was sitting in a tripod as I managed to call four rusa females in. However only one died and the other body but must been close :)

Wonder if you don´t get better angles through tripod then treestand as you get less of an angle. Groundblind maybe even better?

Return to “Missions”