I'm Stuggling with "Silencing the Critics"

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

I'm Stuggling with "Silencing the Critics"

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

Hi all,

I'm having a tough time with this mission. Either I can't get the lead right (I can't tell if I'm shooting in front or behind) or the elevation right (I can't tell if I'm shooting above or below), but when I do down a bird it's either not the right range, I've hit it twice or I get a bug with my Retriever where it'll drop the duck at my feet and said duck will then jump about all over the place off into the distance where I'll never find it again.
I feel like I'm just banging away with blanks. :(

Does anyone have any hints or tips please?
Can anyone make any shotgun recommendations that's better at beyond 45m ranges than the 20 GA Semi-Auto?

Cheers. ;)
Last edited by 22SAS_Wimp on June 19th, 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: I'm Stuggling with "Silencing the Critics"

Post by caledonianblues »

22SAS_Wimp wrote:Does anyone have any hints or tips please?
22SAS_Wimp wrote:Can anyone make any shotgun recommendations that's better at beyond 45m ranges than the 20 GA Semi-Auto?
My answer to both questions is the 10 GA lever action shotgun.

Try a duck hunting session beforehand and familiarise yourself with the lead required at that range. It's not as much as you'd think. As for the retriever dropping ducks and them launching half way across the map, this is an age-old bug that I hope will get fixed one day. One solution is to not let the dog drop the birds, but to run toward it and harvest the bird before the dog drops it. Almost like taking it from the dogs mouth before it gets a chance to drop it. I know, it kind of defeats the purpose of the dog but it does work.

Do you have the 10 GA shotgun?
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

22SAS_Wimp wrote:Hi all,

I'm having a tough time with this mission. Either I can't get the lead right or the elevation right for the ranges I've been firing at the birds from, and when I do it's either not the right range or I get a bug with my Retriever where it'll drop the duck at my feet and said duck will then jump about all over the place off into the distance where I'll never find it again.
I feel like I'm just banging away with blanks. :(

Does anyone have any hints or tips please?
Can anyone make any shotgun recommendations that's better at beyond 45m ranges than the 20 GA Semi-Auto?

Cheers. ;)
10g lever action worked for me.
Spoiler:
22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

So what makes the 10 GA more successful? Is its projectiles larger? Does it have a tighter pattern? Higher projectile velocity?

I don't currently have one, no.

Thanks for the replies so far. :)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I can't say exactly, technically what's better about the 10ga. I suspect it just does more damage. The range might be just a tad longer, but that could also be increased damage.

I usually just try to aim at their beak, and that seems to be about the right lead. but I've also noticed that it can depend on network speed & performance, particularly in MP.

Guessing when they are about 45 1/2 meters away, that's the challenge to this one. You can try to spot other landmarks that are at that distance, but it's mostly something you just have to get a feel for.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

Their beak?! I've got 2 of the 4 ducks now, plus others of the same 2 species, and all those times I've fired about 2 bird-lengths in-front of the birds I've hit. ??? I'll try a shorter lead though, just to see. ;) Thanks.

I switched to the (Primal) 12 GA Pump which seems to be giving me (slightly) more success. I've also tried using both the Red Dot and Slug Scopes, but they didn't help at all. lol
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

When I came up with this mission set, the 10GA didn't even exist and you had to do it with the 12GA - it is possible, but not too easy. The hardest mission of the pack if you ask me - as Tod said, you need to find the exact distance. A little too long and you won't kill them with one shot, a little too short and it doesn't count. It's an exercise in frustration tolerance... :?

And don't use the 20GA, it's way too weak!
Image Image Image
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

As Tann said, it can be done with the 12 GA, I got the pintail this way(pure luck!)

After I tried the 10GA things got WAY easier. So you can continue with the 12GA or get someone with the 10GA to help you out.

22SAS_Wimp
Tracker

Post by 22SAS_Wimp »

Thanks all. ;)
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

Pretty tough mission I must say, my best so far is 42 meters with the 12 ga slide by slide, and it was a body hit, not head or neck, so I think that with 10 ga this mission is definitely possible.

Return to “Missions”