Goose with a Longbow. Help!

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Mackie2112
Tracker

Goose with a Longbow. Help!

Post by Mackie2112 »

So....On the final mission for Canadian Geese. I have the Flag lure, Long distance caller and short range. Have decoys setup a full spread and a blind placed well. 200 arrows I have still not hit anything with the longbow. Can any veterans share some strats? I have spent sometime with the longbow at the range. Trying to lead them slightly or wait till they are coming face on. I have only had 2 geese come face on and I shanked the shots. Should I set it aside until i level the longbow a bit? It sticks in my brain now so I will not likely set it aside. So any suggestions will help. Thank you!
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Re: Goose with a Longbow. Help!

Post by INTIMID883R »

Set a blind about 50 M from your decoys, and when the geese circle and just as they start to land, use the short range caller and they will glide to you.
If you still have problems, let me know and I will show you how to set it up, or even make the shot for you.
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

As Tony said: It's not a matter of your longbow experience, it's about getting your setup right and knowing when to use the short range caller. If you know how to do it, you'll be able to shoot a bunch of geese with the longbow each hunt.
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

There are several different strategies. The 2 most prominent being what Tony mentioned, and the other: letting them land, wait until they're close and either directly facing you or facing away, spook them & shoot.

I've also noticed decoy & blind placement makes a difference. Even when called with the short range caller, they tend to favor specific landing spots. If you can place your decoys & blind to take advantage of their favorite flight path you can increase your odds of getting a good shot.

I have one set of decoys near the corner of a big field, and the blind is only 10-15m away toward the center of the field. I've had geese land inside the blind.

Now, making the shot with the longbow is it's own challenge. :D
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

I did not think about blind placement. I have a good spot lot of geese land in the field. Funny story, I was hunting in Hirsh doing missions. I had the Goose mission loaded also to kill one on the ground. So after finishing the travel mission gametime is about 1pm. I say Ill just port over to my spot for geese and nail one. I FT there and the whole field starts flying! Literally hundreds. Got my kill fast. Point is I know this field well and never though to change the blind spot for an optimal approach. I will also try letting them land close, spook and shoot. Ill keep you posted and thank you for the advise so far.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

If you need some help and a good decoy/blind setup, send me a PM in the next two hours. I'm happy to host a MP game for you.
Image Image Image
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i made a video to show how to do it. ive done this three times now for other people and hit them first shot.i did the video and also got it first shot . :D

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

ronMctube wrote:i made a video to show how to do it. ive done this three times now for other people and hit them first shot.i did the video and also got it first shot . :D
Then your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to host a game for Mackie and do it again with the first shot. Your prize will be 20k em$.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

ooooooo that is tempting :D

okay so rather than just whimping out i just jumped on and gave it a go not fired the long bow for a very long time probably since i did that video. wasnt going to practice.just try it first shot only.

after getting the geese to break right i got one to glide into me which is what you want as in the video i made. call right up until they glide up to you and onto your blind.here is the result :D

missed it by a human hair . i think if i practiced on the range or whatever would of done it easily first go.if you look at the image you can see the arrow head literally touching the gooses body. :lol: whats interesting is watching the shot in slow mo it looks like just the head of the arrow is launched.would of been nice to of got the shot would of given it away in prizes.maybe i should practice more. :D
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Nice effort Ron. The detached arrow head does indeed look rather strange. I guess that's something you'd only notice playing something back in slow motion.
ronMctube wrote:would of been nice to of got the shot would of given it away in prizes.
Tell you what then, try again. If you get it first shot next time, you can have the 20k em$. If you get it with your second shot, you can have 19k em$. So, you get 20 shots, and each shot you miss you lose 1k em$.

Return to “Missions”