Mission "Illegally Blonde"

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
Longmann
Scout

Re: Mission "Illegally Blonde"

Post by Longmann »

caledonianblues wrote:I found some time this afternoon, and did the mission. I started at Trapper's Rest lodge, then fast travelled to one of my tents in the north. I have one right next to the spawn point for this mission, but rather than going straight there, I went to a tent about 1km southeast. I shot half a dozen bears before I spotted a blonde one. Admittedly she didn't really look blonde. She looked light brown, or tan. That being said, she was definitely much lighter than the others, so I had a good idea it was her. And sure enough, it was. The mission took me 49m 23s to complete, and I harvested a total of seven bears. She was about 350m southeast of the spawn point.
Thanks for showing us it's possible to do it and the way how to approach this mission to comlete it in less than an hour.
Looks like the humble pie is on hold folks. Yer all just rubbish ;)
Will try to do exactly as you did, rubbish doesn't sound like a compliment. :D Honestly, I didn't believe you would be able to complete it.
Spoiler:
We pray our sights be straight and our aim be true,
We pray for no pain to the game we pursue.
We thank you, Lord, for this land,
We thank you for the sights from our stands.
We pray for safety one and all,
We pray we may return next fall.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

So to complete the mission: Use at least 45min, shot between 4-10 bears, eventually you will shot the right one, keep looking around until you find the lighter brown bear that's the right blonde :( :roll:
Ah forget you could find them 350-400 mts around the spot the mission says it will be roaming, that's about some 400 square mts around the spot, did I miss something?

But the most important thing from EW would be, mission not bugged, it's ok, Some other could finish the mission so don't complain, read what other do to complete :roll: :? :|
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

mapache01 wrote:So to complete the mission: Use at least 45min, shot between 4-10 bears, eventually you will shot the right one, keep looking around until you find the lighter brown bear that's the right blonde :( :roll:
If the bears were still using the old textures and a blonde variation was unmistakably blonde, then I could have shot just one bear. However, I would rather have the new fur and struggle a bit to identify variations. Just my personal preference. I have to ask though, do you think 45 minutes to complete a mission is an unreasonable ask? I don't understand what the issue is.
mapache01 wrote:Ah forget you could find them 350-400 mts around the spot the mission says it will be roaming, that's about some 400 square mts around the spot, did I miss something?
I will ask Expansive Worlds if they can make a mission for you, in which the bear is glued to the exact same spot waiting for you to arrive ;)
mapache01 wrote:But the most important thing from EW would be, mission not bugged, it's ok, Some other could finish the mission so don't complain, read what other do to complete :roll: :? :|
Exactly. Spot on. The mission is not bugged. Or maybe it's a bug that I was able to complete it first time without any issues. Seriously though, how do you expect the developers to fix a bug they can't reproduce? This has been tested in the office very recently and nobody else had issues doing the mission. Now I've done it. There are people in this thread that have done it too.

I think the issue is you expect the mission to be possible by doing the exact same thing as everyone else. There is a significant random element to it. The spawned bear wanders and has simulated roaming applied before you even start walking. If it happens to be near the spawn point when you arrive, you were lucky. I think 300-400 meters away is not a huge drama. The mission is supposed to be a challenge, not a 5 minute rinse and repeat affair.
Roger_Mellie

Post by Roger_Mellie »

Well done David - I left a tent up there, I shall revisit it! (The custard, cream and mustard can wait for another day.)

Bluejay - sorry about the image that wouldn't open; it was my hunter stats for that hunt - 3 hours real time, 8 bears spotted, 6 females harvested plus a couple of nice Blacktails too!

David's post suggests that a search south east of the river is needed. I still think this mission is one of the hardest, but of course I am a mere mortal. Thanks for all the thoughts and help everyone.

There are some who call me..... Simon. In game: Alf_Tupper
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Roger_Mellie wrote:David's post suggests that a search south east of the river is needed.
I think it's completely random where the bear roams - since David had to walk a bit until he reached the target area, the bear had wandered off to the SE in his case, but it could as well have gone somewhere else instead.

For me, there are a few things to be aware of:
1) The bear will have one hour before you start to hunt, so even if your tent is close to the spawn point, the bear will likely have already left - but you should find its tracks nearby.
2) There can be a lot of bears in the area and you do not know which tracks to follow - we only know it's a rather small (light?) female bear. So pick one and hope you're lucky - otherwise, start over until you're lucky and pick the right tracks.
3) For some reason there is a small female glacier bear that seems to be stuck to the coordinates given in the mission description, but it's not the bear you're looking for. Maybe the mission does not only spawn the blonde, but also a few more bears for distraction and the glacier is part of that? Did anyone ever check whether the glacier bear is still there once the mission is done?
Image Image Image
Roger_Mellie

Post by Roger_Mellie »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
Roger_Mellie wrote:David's post suggests that a search south east of the river is needed.
I think it's completely random where the bear roams - since David had to walk a bit until he reached the target area, the bear had wandered off to the SE in his case, but it could as well have gone somewhere else instead.

For me, there are a few things to be aware of:
1) The bear will have one hour before you start to hunt, so even if your tent is close to the spawn point, the bear will likely have already left - but you should find its tracks nearby.
2) There can be a lot of bears in the area and you do not know which tracks to follow - we only know it's a rather small (light?) female bear. So pick one and hope you're lucky - otherwise, start over until you're lucky and pick the right tracks.
3) For some reason there is a small female glacier bear that seems to be stuck to the coordinates given in the mission description, but it's not the bear you're looking for. Maybe the mission does not only spawn the blonde, but also a few more bears for distraction and the glacier is part of that? Did anyone ever check whether the glacier bear is still there once the mission is done?
Marc, yes I totally agree with your summary. From that alleged spawning point Blondie could have gone in any direction. NB - I didn't mention in my summary above that I was pretty sure there were no female tracks left in the area I had hunted, and I double checked at all the river crossings, so of course the bear spawns up to one hours worth of bear walking from the given point I think?

I will try this mission again, and I will try to remember to go back to check on the tame glacier bear if I ever finish the mission.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Roger_Mellie wrote:I will try this mission again, and I will try to remember to go back to check on the tame glacier bear if I ever finish the mission.
This is how I did it: I placed a tent near the spawning point, but not too close (it was 250 meters NE of the coordinates, close to the northern border of RFF). Then I started a hunt from this tent, went directly to the coordinates and killed the glacier - one set of wrong tracks gone! I searched the area and found tracks from several other bears - followed female tracks (or light tracks, I can't remember if my tracking skill was high enough to give away the gender at that point) that were about one hour old. The blonde hadn't gone too far yet (something like 300-400 meters to the SW) and she spooked while I chased her, but finally I got her.

I would only take one chance per hunt - decide on one set of tracks, chase that bear and if you find it and it wasn't the right one, start over. Unless you find it real quick, then maybe you could go back to the mission coordinates and select another set of tracks to follow.

I know you can do it, Simon! :D
Image Image Image
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

caledonianblues wrote: I will ask Expansive Worlds if they can make a mission for you, in which the bear is glued to the exact same spot waiting for you to arrive ;)
Please do!! wahahahahahah
caledonianblues wrote: Exactly. Spot on. The mission is not bugged. Or maybe it's a bug that I was able to complete it first time without any issues. Seriously though, how do you expect the developers to fix a bug they can't reproduce? This has been tested in the office very recently and nobody else had issues doing the mission. Now I've done it. There are people in this thread that have done it too.

I think the issue is you expect the mission to be possible by doing the exact same thing as everyone else. There is a significant random element to it. The spawned bear wanders and has simulated roaming applied before you even start walking. If it happens to be near the spawn point when you arrive, you were lucky. I think 300-400 meters away is not a huge drama. The mission is supposed to be a challenge, not a 5 minute rinse and repeat affair.
And No, I don't expect to complete in 5-10 min, but here's my last hunts to prove I try more than 20min, the bears I shot and none complete the mission, and that's only last days of november so no one can't say I did not try
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/77749527 1h 25min spot 4, track 4, harvest 4
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/77750462 53min spot 3, track 2
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/77558496 48min spot 4, track 3, harvest 2
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/mapa ... n/77529641 1h 25min spot 2, track 0, harvest 1

Not bugged, well that's your opinion, mine yes is bugged, there's an old Greek phrase "you can't cover the sun with a finger, except from your eyes"
There's no revenue for EW to check this so, no care about it
I'm out of this topic
Roger_Mellie

Post by Roger_Mellie »

A constructive point - I've tried mapping where you get the trigger message top left that you are now in the right area, and it more or less seems to be along the line of the river as you head NW. That is in some ways misleading? As David has shown the bear was south east of this line when harvested. Is this because the bear is spawned an hour in advance and has wander time, or is this an assumption we have made to explain that the bear isn't in the area of the spawn grid reference given in the mission? It doesn't work like that in the Brown Bear last mission or the Feral Hog last mission for instance - the target animal spawns in the area specified when you start the game.

Looking at where the target bear has been shot, is it spawning consistently in the wrong place perhaps, or should the target trigger message be changed plus the mission description changed?

Just another afterthought - on my longer preplanned hunts, when I have shot multiple female bears, there were no female tracks unaccounted for anywhere near the spawn point; so where is the target bear actually spawning? I think it is this last question that is causing some of us bafflement.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

When I finished the mission, the bear seemed to be spawned at the coordinates given in the mission description. At least I found its tracks that were one hour old at the start of my hunt, so I assume it must've spawned there.
Image Image Image

Return to “Missions”