Grey Wolf Missions

Discuss missions, share walkthroughs and tips, report discrepancies in descriptions.
drakle
Hunter

Grey Wolf Missions

Post by drakle »

Grey wolves now have their own set of missions. Good luck to everyone!

Steam Username: ColdBloodCroc™
Villkatta
Outfitter

Re: Grey Wolf Missions

Post by Villkatta »

And here we go:

Mission 1: no weapon or gear required
Mission 2: any permitted weapon
Mission 3: any compound bow
Mission 4: any crossbow

muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Villkatta wrote:And here we go:

Mission 1: no weapon or gear required
Mission 2: any permitted weapon
Mission 3: any compound bow
Mission 4: any crossbow
Thanks for that update Villkatta.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Tried 2 hunts in TgT for the mission and never heard , seen tracks of have visual of a single wolf ! :? :lol:
Thx for the infos Villkatta.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

No worries guys ;)

And here's more for you:

Mission 5: treestand
Mission 6: any permitted weapon

muldo
Outfitter

Post by muldo »

Thanks again Villkatta, really tough to find Wolves today. :(
Cajunscout
Tracker

Post by Cajunscout »

Now that wolf missions are up and I activate one it seems the wolfs go into hiding (haha). thanks Villkatta for the info.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Cajunscout wrote:Now that wolf missions are up and I activate one it seems the wolfs go into hiding (haha). thanks Villkatta for the info.
Same here. Thanks for the info on weapons. Still stuck on #4. Villkatta, any tips on getting a male to STOP for even a second or two at 35 meters? I'm trying this today...a tripod and TS or Tower 40 meters apart. Depending on which direction the call comes from, I can call at one spot and move to the other one. The problem I'm having is this: To get a response from a call with the elk cow caller, the wolves have to howl within 80-100 meters..the ones I'm getting are within 50-75 meters, so it's difficult to get to the ambush spot before the wolf/wolves are there. Which spooks them. If they are coming, they move pretty quick.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Same here. Thanks for the info on weapons. Still stuck on #4. Villkatta, any tips on getting a male to STOP for even a second or two at 35 meters? I'm trying this today...a tripod and TS or Tower 40 meters apart. Depending on which direction the call comes from, I can call at one spot and move to the other one. The problem I'm having is this: To get a response from a call with the elk cow caller, the wolves have to howl within 80-100 meters..the ones I'm getting are within 50-75 meters, so it's difficult to get to the ambush spot before the wolf/wolves are there. Which spooks them. If they are coming, they move pretty quick.
They are quick once they start to trot, but not that fast to react to the call imo.
Use binos etc. to measure up 35m or so, I did this from the ground. Wait until wolves are close enough then call 2-3 times.
Crouch towards the treestand and get up asap, don't mind the panting sound - it can be heard from far away. My experience is that they don't spook that fast while they are trotting, especially while they are trotting through water. They circle a bit first, but they will stop at the spot eventually. If they don't stop, but walk away, the effect of the call has probably worn off - this happens rather fast.

Not saying this is the best way or the best spot, but I use this setup:
(Wolves travel direction with red arrows).

I start at the tent at 8am. I first listen for calls from the eastern riverbank as I head towards the bridge.
If none calls I head slowly across the bridge and towards the northwestern treestand. Sometimes there might be wolfs on the open plain where my tower is, so I either call them from the ground, or wait til they are far enough away from me to sneak to the treestand(I don't use the tower since they sense me in it too fast).
Quite often a pack spawns at the south-western side of the river and they usually head north-eastwards towards the stand. Sometimes a elk carcass also spawns 40-50m away from the stand. They are easy to spot and will come to the call once they are close enough. When I'm done at that stand, whether I got a pack there or not, I FT to the tent and head to the treestand south-east for the tent. I'll often get calls from a pack or single animal on the east side of the river. I walk through the woods, crouch at the bank, walk to the desired spot, call and get in the stand.

For other missions this area is also good. Wolves are generally everywhere.
I addition to the remarks above, I often get calls from right behind the hill South-West of the tent at the beginning of the hunt, and also around the plain below Freds last stand - the one to the east.

Rinse and repeat as often as required.
Last edited by Villkatta on October 13th, 2017, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Mission 7: any .270 Bolt Action Rifle
Mission 8: Any crossbow + any compound bow + any .270 Bolt Action Rifle

Return to “Missions”