Purchase NEW items as Gift!

xOEDragonx

Re: Purchase NEW items as Gift!

Post by xOEDragonx »

Further thought, there would need to be a way to prevent duplicates via gifting. Using me as an example, there are weapons I actually own but still have never had a chance to use. Someone could try to gift me one of those weapons since I don't have kills with it thus it appears like I don't own it (since there really isn't a way to know if someone has the weapon or not without poking around their account and looking at their kills?), but the store shouldn't let them since I already DO have it. Or it should at least warn them somehow that I already own one. Duplicate weapons aren't necessarily helpful (with few exceptions), and other items like calls you never need more than one of, so buying duplicates of certain types of items would need to be prevented somehow or at least the buyer should be warned. Obviously duplicate stands/scents/baits/etc would always be welcome but I doubt there are many people who would want more than one of certain items, and it'd be a shame to spend ems on something just to find out someone else actually already had it.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

The problem is: Once this gets too complicated, it'll require more thoughtful code, more time and resources - and it'll be less likely to be implemented. So while we have a lot of good ideas here, better not make it too complicated. :?
Image Image Image
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

My main concern is the safety risk, though.
We'd have all sorts of hackers invading accounts to gift themselves (pretty dumb, but so are several people).
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I wasn't trying to make anything complicated, I was trying to see the larger picture and come up with problems and limitations such a system could cause, as well as ways to prevent them. If you don't include ways from the start to say, block certain people from gifting to you, preventing or warning about duplicates, or notifying people if they have received a gift, then you'll simply have a bare bones system that will certainly work, but support will begin receiving a number of problem tickets, and the forums will begin seeing more complaints (which we have plenty of as it is), until the issues are corrected anyway.

I know nothing about programming or running a business, but I'm under the impression that doing things right from the start and considering potential issues prior to designing a feature could result in a better feature that works well for both suppliers and customers.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

xOEDragonx wrote:I wasn't trying to make anything complicated, I was trying to see the larger picture and come up with problems and limitations such a system could cause, as well as ways to prevent them. If you don't include ways from the start to say, block certain people from gifting to you, preventing or warning about duplicates, or notifying people if they have received a gift, then you'll simply have a bare bones system that will certainly work, but support will begin receiving a number of problem tickets, and the forums will begin seeing more complaints (which we have plenty of as it is), until the issues are corrected anyway.

I know nothing about programming or running a business, but I'm under the impression that doing things right from the start and considering potential issues prior to designing a feature could result in a better feature that works well for both suppliers and customers.
My reply wasn't to your post specifically, I did also suggest having an option to reject a gift. I was just thinking out loud - in my experience, if a lot of programming needs to be done and it gets complicated, a feature must either be monetized in any way or it will probably not make it to the roadmap.
Other than that, I completely agree with you! :)
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

xOEDragonx wrote:Further thought, there would need to be a way to prevent duplicates via gifting. Using me as an example, there are weapons I actually own but still have never had a chance to use. Someone could try to gift me one of those weapons since I don't have kills with it thus it appears like I don't own it (since there really isn't a way to know if someone has the weapon or not without poking around their account and looking at their kills?), but the store shouldn't let them since I already DO have it. Or it should at least warn them somehow that I already own one. Duplicate weapons aren't necessarily helpful (with few exceptions), and other items like calls you never need more than one of, so buying duplicates of certain types of items would need to be prevented somehow or at least the buyer should be warned. Obviously duplicate stands/scents/baits/etc would always be welcome but I doubt there are many people who would want more than one of certain items, and it'd be a shame to spend ems on something just to find out someone else actually already had it.
You're right about this. Gifting duplicate items is not good especially for weapons and callers! So, as Marc said, there could be a reject button with a short message with rejecting to send a short message to the buyer! At lease the buyer realize that the receiver own that item!
BuiuRei wrote:My main concern is the safety risk, though.
We'd have all sorts of hackers invading accounts to gift themselves (pretty dumb, but so are several people).
That's why I suggest to add 2-Step Verification feature before!
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=74823
Tanngnjostr wrote:The problem is: Once this gets too complicated, it'll require more thoughtful code, more time and resources - and it'll be less likely to be implemented. So while we have a lot of good ideas here, better not make it too complicated. :?
Tanngnjostr wrote:My reply wasn't to your post specifically, I did also suggest having an option to reject a gift. I was just thinking out loud - in my experience, if a lot of programming needs to be done and it gets complicated, a feature must either be monetized in any way or it will probably not make it to the roadmap.
You're right about it, Marc. But I'm sure this feature will help EW to earn more money. For example, I couldn't purchase anything in the game because of the sanctions until I find a workaround to buy from the Steam! And I'm sure there are more players that like to buy things in the game and they couldn't buy for different reasons. So, their friends can do that and buy anything they want!
EW implemented other premium features like Trophy Pose and players bought them only once! So, EW put time and resources to earn money only once from every players!

But with this feature, every player can buy things for their friends as much as they want to! So, IMO, this is more profitable than other premium features in the game! :)
Season Stats
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

This is a good idea, and in theory a feature like this would generate revenue by the sales it promotes, so in that respect you could argue that it will pay for itself over time. There are definitely things to consider though. To avoid someone gifting you an item and creating unwanted duplicates, items in the store would need to be tagged so that only items which people would want to own in duplicate, can be gifted if the recipient already owns one or more. Then, if the person purchasing the gift tries to send a gift that would result in an unwanted duplicate, they would receive a message informing them that the recipient already owns a 6.5x55 Blaser R8 Bolt Action Rifle, or a .405 Lever Action Rifle, for example.

I personally wouldn't want to stop anyone from sending me gifts, but since it has been suggested, the solution would probably be an option that every user can set:
  • cannot receive gifts
  • can receive gifts from anyone
  • can receive gifts from friends only
At the moment the website only needs to know what's in your inventory. With this feature, choosing a recipient would warrant obtaining information about their inventory also (so that a check for duplicates can be made). So some work would need to be done to create some functions for that, and a variation of the regular buy functions would need to be created to accept a recipient as a variable and create a meaningful record in the sender's purchase history. Then of course, the notification to the recipient, so they know they've received a new item as a gift.

Not a huge task, and one that I suspect would get used quite often, especially by competition hosts. Thumbs up from me.
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

but only for weapons; one cant have enough stands, tents and so on:)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Granti wrote:but only for weapons; one cant have enough stands, tents and so on:)
Sure. Only items that you wouldn't want to own in duplicate, including clothing, callers, trophy lodge styles, etc.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Tanngnjostr wrote:My reply wasn't to your post specifically, I did also suggest having an option to reject a gift. I was just thinking out loud - in my experience, if a lot of programming needs to be done and it gets complicated, a feature must either be monetized in any way or it will probably not make it to the roadmap.
Just making sure I was being clear with my own suggestions, as I'm a pro at making things sound way more difficult than they are. :) I can't imagine adding checks for certain things, pop-up messages or similar "small" features to prevent issues from occurring with the system would make it less likely to be implemented, but that really could just be my ignorance towards programming speaking. I think it's more when we start to come up with additional complex features that aren't really necessary that a suggestion becomes too difficult and thus given up on before even considered.

I believe David is correct, such a system could possibly generate more sales and it might just be used often enough to make the time/costs put into designing it worth the effort. I was even in a hunt just last night with my boyfriend (who doesn't play this game nearly often enough to really justify buying anything for his account other than one of the membership bundles for a small variety of weapons) and kept thinking out loud about how I wish I could just send him over a trophy lodge or a couple new weapons or even just a scope for the scopeless plinkington he got with his membership with the ems I already have... which in turn would eventually lead me to buying myself more ems in the near future anyway :lol: I know it's definitely a system I would put to use and it would likely get more money out of me in the long run, so the same might be able to be said of others.

Return to “Website suggestions”