Purchase NEW items as Gift!

BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Purchase NEW items as Gift!

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

xOEDragonx wrote: I was even in a hunt just last night with my boyfriend (who doesn't play this game nearly often enough to really justify buying anything for his account other than one of the membership bundles for a small variety of weapons) and kept thinking out loud about how I wish I could just send him over a trophy lodge or a couple new weapons or even just a scope for the scopeless plinkington he got with his membership with the ems I already have... which in turn would eventually lead me to buying myself more ems in the near future anyway :lol:
That’s how he thinks?? He doesn’t play nearly enough? Dump him. It’s over.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Qs

Of course we are just talking here but what if i want to give a rifle that i have twice or more to someone that doesn't own it ?
Are we talking only about the '' gifter '' buying an item to give ?

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

HD_Artworks wrote:Hi, everyone.
I hope you all have a great time. ;)

I think this suggesed before, but, I'm not talking about giving away our items in inventory to our friends. I'm talking about Buy new items as gift! :)
So, for example, I have the .405 rifle and I decided to purchase another one as a gift and give that to Marc(Tanngnjostr)! :D

1- You have to go to the .405 page on the store:
Spoiler:
2- Enable the checkbox "Purchase as Gift". After you enable the checkbox, a popup will open and ask you to put the profile's name and the URL of your friend:
Spoiler:
3- Right now, I want to purchase this rifle for Marc! :D
Spoiler:
4- After you press OK button, if you put the name and the URL correct, you will see his name in parentheses! Right now you can see "Tanngnjostr" name)!
Spoiler:
So, all done! After this short process you can press the BUY button and the rifle will go into Tanngnjostr's inventory and he will recieve an Email or message about it! :D

So, this will not lose money for EW. Beside it could be more profitable for EW because some players can't purchase items for different reasons.

What do you think, guys?

I think this is great idea. :)
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

BucksNBuffalo wrote: That’s how he thinks?? He doesn’t play nearly enough? Dump him. It’s over.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What he lacks in interest when it comes to hunting videogames, he makes up for with being my real life hunting buddy... but even then he's normally just my cameraman :lol: Finally got him his first deer this fall, I was hoping that would be the final straw but sadly that still didn't get him hooked on hunting so likely he never will be. That's alright, his family has one heck of a wild turkey farm and as long as he keeps waking up at 2am every saturday during turkey season to take me up there without complaints, I sure won't mind if he holds the camera and I hold the gun 8-)

DYEUZ wrote:Qs

Of course we are just talking here but what if i want to give a rifle that i have twice or more to someone that doesn't own it ?
Are we talking only about the '' gifter '' buying an item to give ?
This would probably be one of those unnecessary features that would make the original idea just a little bit too complex and thus less likely to be considered. I suppose my first curiosity would be why you'd have two copies of a gun in the first place. If you won a duplicate, you'd be giving away a free item thus not really encouraging a new purchase. If you bought the duplicate for yourself intentionally, then I believe it should be yours to keep, even if you change your mind about wanting the duplicate. If you'd be buying guns or items to hold to give away later for gifts or comps... I imagine that system could maybe be "abused" since you could buy everything on sale then give it away when it's not on sale (not really abuse at all per se, but would still imply less income overall for EW thus sounding discouraging for them wanting to implement the feature maybe). So while there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of giving away an item in your own inventory, it would just need to be one more thing that would need to be programmed that probably wouldn't offer much benefit over just using the suggested purchase-new-item gift system. Just my thoughts, maybe someone else could offer better feedback.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

DYEUZ wrote:Of course we are just talking here but what if i want to give a rifle that i have twice or more to someone that doesn't own it ?
Expansive Worlds would never go for this, since you can obtain duplicates for free with membership bundles and retail memberships.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

caledonianblues wrote: Expansive Worlds would never go for this, since you can obtain duplicates for free with membership bundles and retail memberships.
I didn't even think of that, but I knew it sounded like there was some sort of potential for abuse there. Another major flaw with the idea of gifting items in your inventory is that people could essentially share their gear. As an example, what would stop me from gifting a friend some of my guns, then my friend gifting them back when they're done with them? Then I can gift them back if they need them again, then they can send them back again. This would also lead to the trouble of people offering to "loan" out their items, then perhaps the person doesn't give them back as planned, then people throwing a fit and demanding that EW get them their item back even if it was "gifted."

Way too many problems I can see with that.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

xOEDragonx wrote:I can't imagine adding checks for certain things, pop-up messages or similar "small" features to prevent issues from occurring with the system would make it less likely to be implemented, but that really could just be my ignorance towards programming speaking.
I couldn't imagine this either until I learnt about the engine that the game uses! Not that I understand much about programming, but people with knowledge said this engine is not really... convenient! :D
xOEDragonx wrote:I was even in a hunt just last night with my boyfriend...
Did I just hear the sound of a hundred forum users' hearts breaking? :P
Image Image Image
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

caledonianblues wrote:This is a good idea, and in theory a feature like this would generate revenue by the sales it promotes, so in that respect you could argue that it will pay for itself over time. There are definitely things to consider though. To avoid someone gifting you an item and creating unwanted duplicates, items in the store would need to be tagged so that only items which people would want to own in duplicate, can be gifted if the recipient already owns one or more. Then, if the person purchasing the gift tries to send a gift that would result in an unwanted duplicate, they would receive a message informing them that the recipient already owns a 6.5x55 Blaser R8 Bolt Action Rifle, or a .405 Lever Action Rifle, for example.

I personally wouldn't want to stop anyone from sending me gifts, but since it has been suggested, the solution would probably be an option that every user can set:
  • cannot receive gifts
  • can receive gifts from anyone
  • can receive gifts from friends only
At the moment the website only needs to know what's in your inventory. With this feature, choosing a recipient would warrant obtaining information about their inventory also (so that a check for duplicates can be made). So some work would need to be done to create some functions for that, and a variation of the regular buy functions would need to be created to accept a recipient as a variable and create a meaningful record in the sender's purchase history. Then of course, the notification to the recipient, so they know they've received a new item as a gift.

Not a huge task, and one that I suspect would get used quite often, especially by competition hosts. Thumbs up from me.
Thanks for explain how it could implement, David.
If you say, this is not a huge task, then it's doable! :)
Thanks for the thumbs up, David. ;)

:arrow: EW, it's time to work on it and implement this feature and earn more money! :D
Season Stats
Spoiler:
CootDawg
Scout

Post by CootDawg »

can you send friends gifts?
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

CootDawg wrote:can you send friends gifts?
It would be nice if we could send Gifts to friends and family, but I don't think EW has the resources to do that. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “Website suggestions”