Whistling causes "Ducks Breaking and Spooking Bug"

This forum is for reporting bugs or glitches that are specific for multiplayer game. Please add a summary of the bug in the topic title with description, titles with only "found a bug", "bug" and alike will be deleted.
Example title: Ducks bounce and disappear
Mickey415
Scout

Whistling causes "Ducks Breaking and Spooking Bug"

Post by Mickey415 »

While in multiplayer, when a guest whistles during duck hunting, it will cause all the flocks to be bugged indefinitely. After whistling, just once, every new flock will break and immediately spook. Over and over. Once that player leaves or gets kicked, it will fix the bug. It will happen every single time. The host cannot bug it.

Maybe, this will shine a little more light for the players struggling so much with duck hunting. It's really not that hard, especially if you know how to prevent the current minuscule amount of bugs.

I think a lot of players confuse this by claiming that the ducks don't break at all. When in reality, they are breaking and immediately leaving the area. Just imagine how many people are probably experiencing this because they let them land or whistle when to shoot. I'd be curious to see how many people think "more ducks are breaking" after this is fixed.

Ironwood
Last edited by Mickey415 on February 12th, 2014, 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: Ducks Breaking and Spooking Bug

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Please clarify: when you say "whistle", do you mean the whistle with the default F key, such as to flush pheasants, or do you mean whistle as in one of the callers (short range or long range)? That little bit of clear info can go a long way, I give you your props for testing this out
Mickey415
Scout

Post by Mickey415 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Please clarify: when you say "whistle", do you mean the whistle with the default F key, such as to flush pheasants, or do you mean whistle as in one of the callers (short range or long range)? That little bit of clear info can go a long way, I give you your props for testing this out
Yes, I mean whistle with the F key for flushing pheasants. From experience, I know that some players will use it to flare landed ducks or inform other players when to shoot.

But, of course, many players will accidentally whistle when they get on my server and that's how I eventually discovered this.

Ironwood
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Awesome. The better the clarity of the description, the better the chance of the Devs being able to pinpoint and destroy exactly that bug.
Mickey415
Scout

Post by Mickey415 »

And, if any of the users of the forum want to spend five minutes to confirm this, please let me know.
ColoradoKid
Master Competitor

Post by ColoradoKid »

excellent post, respectfully done and attempting to be clear and helpful. Wouldn't it be great if in fact this was most or all of the cause for a couple of the bugs frustrating some MP users...and perhaps it is. I know that ducks can be spooked by a gunshot while still inbound, then they fly over and later break off and fly off in a different direction as they are already in a spooked state.

Perhaps the whistle gets stuck in a silent loop as the LD and SD callers can often do in audible form. If in fact the whistle gets stuck in a silent loop, of course it would spook all ducks trying to break off and land.

To clarify, is it only when a guest whistles? what if the host uses the whistle. I thought I used it a few ties as host and my guests did not and my MP sessions were all ok.

(tbh I wish the whistle were not even part of the duck hunting. there are other ways to spook ducks up - but must my opinion)
Mickey415
Scout

Post by Mickey415 »

ColoradoKid wrote:excellent post, respectfully done and attempting to be clear and helpful. Wouldn't it be great if in fact this was most or all of the cause for a couple of the bugs frustrating some MP users...and perhaps it is. I know that ducks can be spooked by a gunshot while still inbound, then they fly over and later break off and fly off in a different direction as they are already in a spooked state.

Perhaps the whistle gets stuck in a silent loop as the LD and SD callers can often do in audible form. If in fact the whistle gets stuck in a silent loop, of course it would spook all ducks trying to break off and land.

To clarify, is it only when a guest whistles? what if the host uses the whistle. I thought I used it a few ties as host and my guests did not and my MP sessions were all ok.

(tbh I wish the whistle were not even part of the duck hunting. there are other ways to spook ducks up - but must my opinion)
From my experience, I don't think the host can cause the bug if they whistle. I personally haven't tried, but I have accidentally whistled and never seen them bugged afterwards.

And, you're welcome.

Edit: I was thinking the exact same thing about it getting stuck in an endless loop like the duck calls.

Ironwood
Mickey415
Scout

Post by Mickey415 »

Yup, this has definitely got to be the source of the bug. (I'm not saying it's the same bug that some people may be experiencing.)

I fully tested this on my own server as the host, and by joining other people's server. If any guest whistles, the ducks will spook indefinitely. Whistling again does not fix it, nor does whistling several more times. It appears the only fix is to restart the game. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Sincerely,

Ironwood
ColoradoKid
Master Competitor

Post by ColoradoKid »

It is also fixed by that guest that whistled exiting the hunt. When that guest exits, the ducks immediately go back to normal behavior. I believe this will fix not only the observed and reported bug of ducks break off and returning to the flocks. But I believe it will also fix half of the "bug" of multiple flocks for an hour never having any ducks drop down. I am convinced that in half of those situations ducks are in fact leaving the flock and returning and the players are bored or frustrated enough that they are not attentive enough to observe those brief behaviors of the ducks leaving and retuning. Therefore they report that no ducks ever break off the flocks.

The host using the whistle does not change the ducks behavior. No return to flock bug has been witnessed in multiple MP hunts with 3-4 players that I have tried this in with just the host using the whistle.

I also experimented on this a few times with 3 players last week with me as the host whistling and I have tested this multiple times as well with up to 4 players in a hunt.

I believe when the dev team can fix this one thing, 2/3 of all reported problems with the ducks being "broken" will be eliminated.

thanks, Ironwood
Alphamale1956
Outfitter

Post by Alphamale1956 »

ColoradoKid wrote:It is also fixed by that guest that whistled exiting the hunt. When that guest exits, the ducks immediately go back to normal behavior. I believe this will fix not only the observed and reported bug of ducks break off and returning to the flocks. But I believe it will also fix half of the "bug" of multiple flocks for an hour never having any ducks drop down. I am convinced that in half of those situations ducks are in fact leaving the flock and returning and the players are bored or frustrated enough that they are not attentive enough to observe those brief behaviors of the ducks leaving and retuning. Therefore they report that no ducks ever break off the flocks.

The host using the whistle does not change the ducks behavior. No return to flock bug has been witnessed in multiple MP hunts with 3-4 players that I have tried this in with just the host using the whistle.

I also experimented on this a few times with 3 players last week with me as the host whistling and I have tested this multiple times as well with up to 4 players in a hunt.

I believe when the dev team can fix this one thing, 2/3 of all reported problems with the ducks being "broken" will be eliminated.

thanks, Ironwood
Confirmed here. Whistle from guests must create inaudible to us but audible to flock sound loop. But I am using 5.1/7.1 surround speakers setup and I am hosting. Have any test been done with a host who has just stereo? Just so we rule this out. Also, I can provide videos upon request of this bug.

Return to “Multiplayer”