A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

User avatar
dmbHunter7
Spotter
Posts: 66
Joined: July 16th, 2015, 12:10 am

A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby dmbHunter7 » December 21st, 2015, 2:49 pm

Warning: Moved by author to the current location due miss posting under the wrong category. The same post was under the Thoughts & Suggestion. I apologize for any inconvenience and clutter that my mistake has made. Now, onto the post.


Last night, I went looking through the forums to find details and historical facts about both the forum and the game development mainly Expansive Worlds' player relations and utilizing post and conversations. That is when I ran into viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63792 in other words "Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies" by Alena Rybik. Very interesting read because I now grasp some of the reasons behind the atmosphere. However, I see that as a bandage on a festering wound and one day possibly soon that festering wound is going to destroy everything that was built.

I was a soldier in the United States Armed forces and I know all to well what happens when the officers only care about themselves. We enlisted folks can become a little anger and fustrated to the point that we start doing things against our better judgement and saying things about those that have double standards. Even though, we still do what we must to get through the day.

There must be an outlet where the players can come to to rant, rave, insult, and scream their heads off to clear their mind and soul. If not player suicide numbers will increase. For this forum, death. For Expansive Worlds, no more developing theHunter because no one cares to play or buy the memberships.

I see those here holding onto hope and praying for their words to be heard. But what happens, when Expansive Worlds does nothing during 2016? "Expect the worst hope for the best" then you're "Good to go!" The US Armed Forces help soldiers release their fustrations with United Services Organizations and R&R activities. However, that still has only helped Post Tramatic Stress Disorders become a little less. Now, PTSD for this game is that bugs aren't fixed in a timely manner and your sights were locked on a competition winning trophy beast as Error Code 16005 shows up right before your finger pressed the tigger key. Who do you yell at for that? 4 hours of walking and hunting just for the game to give you the finger!

No where on this forum. Not allowed. "Sir. Ma'am. Yell at your screen." No one wants to do that. Now, I find the bugs amusing and I do find other means to elevate my fustrations but I haven't invested the money, the time, the years, or the words that long time players have. Therefore, my suggestion after a long winded buildup is to have a forum place named "Complaints and Tantrums" dedicated to raving complaints where any words, phrases, insults, and temper tantrums are allowed. Then, the moderators when they see a complaint that isn't constructive in any other location they can just move it to that section and give a warning, if they want, to the poster. This will help control the other threads from being a sounding board for those with a negative tongue, a gripe to made and temper to be wielded. And maybe just maybe the positive atmosphere that was once here can come back. Utopia can sleep easy again.

There we can grab our pitchfolks and raid town hall. Grab the magistrate by the nonlistening ears and give a good one to his lying, no good for anything and manipulative lips.
User avatar
dmbHunter7
Spotter
Posts: 66
Joined: July 16th, 2015, 12:10 am

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby dmbHunter7 » December 21st, 2015, 4:12 pm

I want to add some information that I found during my research after I posted the original posting.

Kring had the exact same idea in his post under his viewtopic.php?f=195&t=50715 aka "Harder moderation needed on the forums?" under Forums Feedback & Suggestions.
Kring on February 1st, 2014, 11:29 am wrote:People ranting about everything. Sure, these rants have some substance but the discussion value is often lacking and people use posts and topics like this just to let off steam. A sub-forum only for ranting would be better, so that more constructive discussions doesn't get hindered.



Flanker305 fired back on February 2nd, 2014, 3:12 am when he wrote: I see your point, but I think it will be very hard get this on track. We would have to judge whether opinions are a rant or not and if so move those threads to the 'rant section'. That would give trouble. Also, sometimes constructive discussions heat up and the thread goes off topic. We would have to split those heated posts off then and put them in the 'rant section' because it belongs there. The people involved would feel as if their opinion is not worth to stay in the constructive discussion and that is not something I personally would prefer.


I believe Flanker305 gave a great counter to Kring in 2014 and my 2015 suggestion.
User avatar
baloo.the.dog
Hunter
Posts: 717
Joined: October 21st, 2016, 5:00 pm
Location: In a Duck-Blind

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby baloo.the.dog » October 23rd, 2016, 7:20 pm

heck yeah
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
User avatar
TundraPuppy
Outfitter
Posts: 2272
Joined: April 30th, 2009, 12:06 pm
Location: Probably on Steam. You should be too!
Contact:

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby TundraPuppy » October 23rd, 2016, 9:33 pm

Holy necro! But I do think this is an interesting thread, and wanted to give some additional thoughts on it.

dmbHunter7 wrote:Warning: Moved by author to the current location due miss posting under the wrong category. The same post was under the Thoughts & Suggestion. I apologize for any inconvenience and clutter that my mistake has made. Now, onto the post.


Last night, I went looking through the forums to find details and historical facts about both the forum and the game development mainly Expansive Worlds' player relations and utilizing post and conversations. That is when I ran into viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63792 in other words "Forum attitude adjustment and new moderation policies" by Alena Rybik. Very interesting read because I now grasp some of the reasons behind the atmosphere. However, I see that as a bandage on a festering wound and one day possibly soon that festering wound is going to destroy everything that was built.

I was a soldier in the United States Armed forces and I know all to well what happens when the officers only care about themselves. We enlisted folks can become a little anger and fustrated to the point that we start doing things against our better judgement and saying things about those that have double standards. Even though, we still do what we must to get through the day.

There must be an outlet where the players can come to to rant, rave, insult, and scream their heads off to clear their mind and soul. If not player suicide numbers will increase. For this forum, death. For Expansive Worlds, no more developing theHunter because no one cares to play or buy the memberships.


Actually, the opposite was happening. Prior to stronger moderation and allowing players to have an outlet where they can rant, rave, insult, and scream their heads off, it was causing users - especially new ones - to feel that their voices were not being shouted down, and the overall atmosphere was a negative, toxic one, which people don't want to hang out in. We've (the mods) have all had players who have told us, personally, they are glad with the stricter moderation, and the stronger moderation to clamp down on behavior that is contrary to a calm community. In fact, the people who complain about it are the ones who generally cause trouble. It's a bit like robbers complaining that too many people are putting locks on their houses. Well... sorry that people don't want their stuff stolen?

dmbHunter7 wrote:I see those here holding onto hope and praying for their words to be heard. But what happens, when Expansive Worlds does nothing during 2016? "Expect the worst hope for the best" then you're "Good to go!" The US Armed Forces help soldiers release their fustrations with United Services Organizations and R&R activities. However, that still has only helped Post Tramatic Stress Disorders become a little less. Now, PTSD for this game is that bugs aren't fixed in a timely manner and your sights were locked on a competition winning trophy beast as Error Code 16005 shows up right before your finger pressed the tigger key. Who do you yell at for that? 4 hours of walking and hunting just for the game to give you the finger!


Ignoring the fact that I know someone, personally, with PTSD, and I find comparing losing a virtal animal in a video game with life-crippling PTSD is a bit on the overly dramatic side and borderline insulting to someone with PTSD, I think you (as in, plural - everyone) need to remember that this forum is not a "back and forth" between EW and the community. This forum is designed to be used by the community, to communicate with the community - ie: member to member. It's somewhere for us to share hunting stories, tactics, suggestions, help, and ideas. Creating an environment here where we rant, rave, insult, and scream because you are attempting to presumably get the attention of the developers, does nothing to foster a sense of community, nor does it get the attention of the developers. In fact, the developers used to be very active in this community. They stopped showing up on the forums frequently because of the behavior that you're suggesting we should allow.

dmbHunter7 wrote:No where on this forum. Not allowed. "Sir. Ma'am. Yell at your screen." No one wants to do that. Now, I find the bugs amusing and I do find other means to elevate my fustrations but I haven't invested the money, the time, the years, or the words that long time players have. Therefore, my suggestion after a long winded buildup is to have a forum place named "Complaints and Tantrums" dedicated to raving complaints where any words, phrases, insults, and temper tantrums are allowed. Then, the moderators when they see a complaint that isn't constructive in any other location they can just move it to that section and give a warning, if they want, to the poster. This will help control the other threads from being a sounding board for those with a negative tongue, a gripe to made and temper to be wielded. And maybe just maybe the positive atmosphere that was once here can come back. Utopia can sleep easy again.

There we can grab our pitchfolks and raid town hall. Grab the magistrate by the nonlistening ears and give a good one to his lying, no good for anything and manipulative lips.


Yelling at your screen is actually what I suggest you do. Actually, to be honest, I suggest that if you find yourself suffering from PTSD-like symptoms, or find yourself wanting to scream and yell at the game, you may be getting a little too personally involved with the game, and should probably go out and take a break or a breather, and do some other activity. Coming onto the forums to basically explode over frustration that you didn't get a virtual deer isn't going to help you very much because you'll probably just end up getting moderated if you choose to do it in a way which breaks the Code of Conduct which you agreed to when you signed up for your forum account, and that's just going to make you angrier. That's the problem with anger - you don't solve anger by getting angrier, you solve it by redirecting it into a positive, constructive activity. That's pretty much the antithesis of what you're suggesting here.

Creating a subforum specifically for rants isn't going to do much because a.) the developers won't read it anyway, b.) you'll feel that your concerns are being ignored by the developers (which they would be - no one wants to read an enormous block of angry text), and c.) it fosters a section of the community which revels in complaining about the game, and that could potentially bleed into the rest of the community. We are extremely against that happening.

Is the game perfect? No. Does this mean you should only write nice things with a big dumb smile on your face? No. What it means is that constructive criticism of the game is absolutely allowed (and encouraged - as long as it remains civil and constructive), and constructive criticism doesn't need to be shuttled off into some rant-zone. It's perfectly fine here in the forums.

We're all adults here, and we can get our message across without resorting to the equivalent of throwing a temper tantrum like a child. But when that happens, like a child, expect your actions to be stopped and perhaps a time out.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
User avatar
mikeman1
Scout
Posts: 360
Joined: February 3rd, 2016, 11:12 pm
Location: Pembroke, Ontario, Canada

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby mikeman1 » October 23rd, 2016, 10:56 pm

I agree with dmb. While the rants are sometimes entertaining it can get pretty distracting, even depressing at times, especially when the same people harp on about the same issues. I can imagine from the dev's perspective it gets tiresome weeding through the repetitive whining and moaning posts to find something useful for improving the game. Makes sense to put them in a separate folder to use as examples of how not to communicate in a forum environment. It might make some people think a little harder about being more diplomatic about how they communicate issues to the devs.
Last edited by TundraPuppy on October 23rd, 2016, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed a quote containing veiled profanity in a post about diplomatically communicating.
Code: Select all

User avatar
DonderDeer
Outfitter
Posts: 2140
Joined: February 4th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby DonderDeer » October 23rd, 2016, 11:12 pm

Examples of how not to communicate are moderated. Anything that isn't moderated is deemed fit as far as I'm concerned.
homk
User avatar
TundraPuppy
Outfitter
Posts: 2272
Joined: April 30th, 2009, 12:06 pm
Location: Probably on Steam. You should be too!
Contact:

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby TundraPuppy » October 23rd, 2016, 11:18 pm

mikeman1 wrote:I agree with dmb. While the rants are sometimes entertaining it can get pretty distracting, even depressing at times, especially when the same people harp on about the same issues. I can imagine from the dev's perspective it gets tiresome weeding through the repetitive whining and moaning posts to find something useful for improving the game. Makes sense to put them in a separate folder to use as examples of how not to communicate in a forum environment. It might make some people think a little harder about being more diplomatic about how they communicate issues to the devs.


No offense intended but this honestly makes about as much sense as the police saying "We're going to let some people break into a house so that you can have an example of why it's bad to break into a house."

Additionally, you create a situation where people will vie for their posts to be part of the "examples". This is the internet remember, and for those of us who have read Penny Arcade, we all know what happens when you add a regular person with (relative) anonymity, plus an audience. ;)

It's better to not let the stuff happen in the first place, and just create rules about what's appropriate and what isn't (for example, veiled profanity), and then handle it. :)
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
User avatar
mikeman1
Scout
Posts: 360
Joined: February 3rd, 2016, 11:12 pm
Location: Pembroke, Ontario, Canada

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby mikeman1 » October 24th, 2016, 4:44 am

Yeah, you're probably right. I just wish people would remember its only a game. Getting all mad in the face and spouting off in the forums about how messed up the game is accomplishes nothing and can sour the experience for the other players. All in all, the game is great. There is always room for improvement, but generally speaking the size of the membership is a testament to the quality of the game.

And sorry for the "veiled profanity", although it was pretty mild :roll:
Code: Select all

User avatar
MewKitty
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: November 24th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby MewKitty » November 3rd, 2016, 11:24 pm

Couldn't really find a good place to post this so figured it would be considered a rant, i just feel since the release of WhiteRime Ridge The game has been Sub par in updates, The game for a lot of players i know was close to unplayable from the release of whiterime and up to 5 months after its release due to crashing errors, and it feels since those crashes were fixed the game became playable again but the updates for the game have been rather lackluster, possibly the best example for this was the recent Halloween update every year its by far my favorite time of year and generally the updates had been really fun and sometimes challenging, and "the beast" has always been an exciting moment, but this year not only was there no Beast but there wasn't even any missions, the mission was literally kill an elk on timbergold... it took me 63 seconds to complete the mission (and yes i timed it for this exact reason) and then after the mission i was soo disappointed i have barely played since.

even the item updates have been lackluster or verging on calling them completely redundant the new tent is redundant as if im going to spend that much em's on a tent i feel the general public will get the tent that matches the scenery not the generic green one. and for movember i always love contributing but practically cant this year as i already have every stash in game, no new ones have been added. even the new map is lackluster, i always get excited for new maps but the past 3 have felt rushed, Val-des-bois was an amazing innovative map and to this day one of my favorites, its full of life, has great diversity in how you want to hunt, has a good aray of animals, and is generally overflowing with game to hunt. but as of recent and this goes 10 fold for timbergold trails the maps have felt "huge" but not in a good way, they have felt barren / empty, you find some good hotspots / spawn locations, set up tent and then just bounce around from hotspot to hotspot until theres a moment where there isn't a call and you reset map, this can take anywhere between 10 mins and 1 hour but then its generally time for a re-set. also if you arent fast traveling from tent to tent the space in between each good area is usually empty or just barely any animals, it feels like the game used to be No matter how you hunt there is always something for you, but now it feels like its just "this is the best way to hunt" and then the rest is just not fulfilling or worthwhile.

now these are easily improvable points especially the feel of underpopulated maps, (i understand its supposed to be a hunting simulator to simulate real life hunting But) increase the population of the of the maps or increase the number of spawn locations to mix it up a little, particularly for the bighorns, i feel there's a few good spots but then the rest of the mountains are left bare (again i know this resembles real life hunting but it just makes it rather boring to be bothering with trecking the empty spaces with possibly 1 animal in between rather than just fast traveling from tent to tent once finding the good spawn locations) there's a fine line between "this game feels like real life hunting" and "this game is just getting boring" and i feel considering it is a game after all (and the fact you can hunt polar bear in it) just making it that little bit more populated will keep a lot of people interested in playing and instead of releasing update after update where you might get a couple sales in, spend more time on the updates, put the effort in and then get a Huge payout from it. i feel the recent map was rushed (possibly released on accident but also possibly released for the sake of Halloween) and considering the first quote i remember reading was "we promise not to rush the new map this time around" and then we get a "here's the test hunt" then BOOM map released to public!! it was rushed and still needs final polishing.....

anyway i could go on and on but i feel i got most of my points on the table, in short just spend more time on details and asking people what can be done to improve rather than constantly pushing out "new" irrelevant items and rushed maps.
User avatar
jeff1963
Hunter
Posts: 937
Joined: November 8th, 2012, 12:47 am
Location: Washington State.

Re: A new forum category "Complaints & Tantrums"

Postby jeff1963 » November 4th, 2016, 9:48 am

I had bookmarked this post when I first started in TheHunter, It has some sage thoughts.

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=36853
Thanks, ~Jeff


Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest