Respect in the Forum

RedBlooded
Tracker

Respect in the Forum

Post by RedBlooded »

I am very surprised and disappointed in this forum community. I really am. I haven't been a member for very long, but I can tell you this; this is the single most disrespectful forum I have ever been on. I have been a member of many forums, but none of them were as disrespectful as this one. If anyone tried this stuff on other forums, they would be banned within hours. Almost every single topic that is meant to be a serious subject is "hijacked" and the post turns into several pages of people trying to have a serious conversation while others just troll and crack wise-jokes. It is highly disrespectful and should not be tolerated on any forum.

There are certain people on this forum who should not be allowed to post in certain topics. These people let their voice be heard on everything, every time, everywhere. They get away with disrespecting new forum members, old forum members, everyone and anyone. If some suggests an idea they don't like, they dehumanize the other side of the argument. They are so gang-ho on making fun of others, but don't tolerate it when it comes back to them.

These have been my observations in only my first few months of being here, and I am not impressed. I believe that most members here are not older than the age of 12. At lest they are not socially for they do not understand a simple concept; respect. I was brought up to respect and tolerate everyone and all ideas, to respect administration and people above me, even if I do not agree with them. I was taught to turn the other cheek and bite my tongue. I'm not perfect, I'm not an expert, I make mistakes and I don't know everything. Why can't other people just wake up and realize that too.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that you understand where I'm coming from, and please, try to clean up your act. Not for me, or anyone else, but for yourself. If you start respecting others, they will start respecting you.
It's really that easy.
Last edited by RedBlooded on September 6th, 2014, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kring
Tracker

Re: I am surprised

Post by kring »

You're speaking to deaf ears, I'm talking from experience. One of my first topics were about harder moderation on the forum (http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=50715) but it was not very well received. Apparently most (active) members prefer this style of forum as it is now.

I still think that the moderators should be less lenient with everyone here, but I guess it won't change anytime soon...

Also, I think this thread is better suited for the Forum Feedback & Suggestions sub-forum. And please try to set a descriptive topic title next time, it should be obvious with just a glance what the thread will be about (reported these so a moderator will probably fix one or both of these soon).
RedBlooded
Tracker

Post by RedBlooded »

kring wrote:You're speaking to deaf ears, I'm talking from experience. One of my first topics were about harder moderation on the forum (http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=50715) but it was not very well received. Apparently most (active) members prefer this style of forum as it is now.

I still think that the moderators should be less lenient with everyone here, but I guess it won't change anytime soon...

Also, I think this thread is better suited for the Forum Feedback & Suggestions sub-forum. And please try to set a descriptive topic title next time, it should be obvious with just a glance what the thread will be about (reported these so a moderator will probably fix one or both of these soon).
I hear ya. Thanks for the clarification. :)

EDIT: I'm not so sure about more moderation. If people just respect each other, we wouldn't have these problems.
Blind Mole
Outfitter

Post by Blind Mole »

@RedBlooded: im sure that i'm #1 on your badasslist ;)
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

Heard, and I remember kring's post, you know that forums are just a bunch of alter ego's in a room talking, people have the ability to say things they would never say in person, it's hard to put rope around that. Many people in many forums believe that their number posts = quality, same as the HunterScore system.
Thanks, ~Jeff

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Re: Respect in the Forum

Post by Deconstructed »

This forum is really really mellow compared to almost every other place I have seen. I think if you are having a tough time here perhaps need to thicken up that skin and learn to not take things personally. Direct personal attacks are taken care of pretty quickly here but there obviously different view points and opinions. Quite to the opposite of your comment about members not being older than 12, the ability to debate and have different opinions and keep it somewhat civilized is exactly what makes people reasoned adults rather than children, this is not preschool with 4-5 year old where everyone needs to hold hands and sing songs together or go to a corner for a time out.

Lighten up, grab a sense of humour. Injecting some comedy, tongue in cheek comments, etc should really not be problematic, this is a discussion board for a video game, not a presidential debate, not discussing anything of any real importance anywhere. If you are getting offended over it I think perhaps you might be taking it far too seriously.
RedBlooded
Tracker

Post by RedBlooded »

@deconstructed Hey, I love humor and joking around. But, there are some people who want their topics to be taken seriously, not joked about and trolled. There is a line, and it has been crossed many times by many people. The line needs to be made clear. You can joke around and still respect people, but it's gone too far in this forum.
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

I think one of the issues is your definition of respect and my own may differ. I hope I do, but probably fail in dealing with people with a certain degree of civility, but respect? Not everyone is deserving of respect.
Burning Bridges
Hunter

Post by Burning Bridges »

I have no idea what your perfect world would look like, let me just say this forum is rather civil and heavily moderated.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

It's a rare thing that I am agreeing with "Decostructed" fully and entirely. But he just hit the nail on the head.

RedBlooded wrote:I can tell you this; this is the single most disrespectful forum I have ever been on.
I am deeply pleased that you had such a good experience over the internet. Mine is the opposite. This is one of the most respectful forums I have come across. Opinions are discussed hard and sometimes heated here, but in nearly all instances confronting opinions are respected.

Respect is not to be politically over-correct and shut up when one disagrees. But respect is when you expect the other to have the maturity and intelligence to understand that what you're arguing about are the topics of the discussion and not the persons behind voicing them.
Respect is when you try to read what the other writes and try to understand what he wants to express. Respect is when you have read forum member's posts often enough that you understand when they can take a joke and when not. I could probably go on endlessly.
But one thing more is probably worth saying: Respect is also when you understand that everyone without exception will now and then steam off too hard, rant or reply snappishly. That's human. Respecting that occasionally and letting it pass by without harm is also respect.

And the occasional joke is just that, a joke. Don't forget that a forum is also a form of entertainment.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”