Respect in the Forum

RedBlooded
Tracker

Re: Respect in the Forum

Post by RedBlooded »

T0MRf5 wrote:Not everyone is deserving of respect.
You rarely give anyone respect. I try my best to. I do fail sometimes, but I still try to. But, everyone is deserving of respect.
Knut wrote:It's a rare thing that I am agreeing with "Decostructed" fully and entirely. But he just hit the nail on the head.

RedBlooded wrote:I can tell you this; this is the single most disrespectful forum I have ever been on.
I am deeply pleased that you had such a good experience over the internet. Mine is the opposite. This is one of the most respectful forums I have come across. Opinions are discussed hard and sometimes heated here, but in nearly all instances confronting opinions are respected.

Respect is not to be politically over-correct and shut up when one disagrees. But respect is when you expect the other to have the maturity and intelligence to understand that what you're arguing about are the topics of the discussion and not the persons behind voicing them.
Respect is when you try to read what the other writes and try to understand what he wants to express. Respect is when you have read forum member's posts often enough that you understand when they can take a joke and when not. I could probably go on endlessly.
But one thing more is probably worth saying: Respect is also when you understand that everyone without exception will now and then steam off too hard, rant or reply snappishly. That's human. Respecting that occasionally and letting it pass by without harm is also respect.

And the occasional joke is just that, a joke. Don't forget that a forum is also a form of entertainment.
You have some points, but like I said, that line has been crossed a quite a few times.

Here are two relatively recent topics:

Didn't get respect for his ideas - topic closed
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=58045

Topic turned into a trolling post by the end - not much about the topic itself
http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=167&t=54953
Burning Bridges wrote:I have no idea what your perfect world would look like, let me just say this forum is rather civil and heavily moderated.
I'm not in any way or shape asking for more moderation. I am asking for members to respect one another. That would solve the problem in the first place.

Everyone should just know where the line is. When to stop, when it's too much, when they've had enough. It's not that hard. What is hard is for people to swallow their pride and stop hiding behind their computer screens. There is someone on the other end of the screen who wants to be respected, like everyone else.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Well, the first one was a rant and stated quite boldly from the very beginning. If you don't start a thread with respect (in this case respect for the devs, for the intelligence of others and for staying with the truth), you can't really expect the thread to be coined by respect, can you?

The second was a topic about a gun that has been suggested pretty often before (and actually discussed equally often very heated) -and it started very, very civilized, especially regarding the topic. I would not deem those threads representative and judge that to be collateral damage.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

i have respect for like 15 people on this forum.

Ive found in life its easier to think people aren't worth my respect until proven otherwise. Especially on the internet.
Burning Bridges
Hunter

Post by Burning Bridges »

Thought the OP was a bit childish in the first place but then so many people turned on him that I kind of side with the green duck.
Is that what you mean? Then I agree with you.
There are topics which seem to polarize a community, and AR's is certainly one of them. It's like reading a topic about the relative performance of the Bf109 vs Soviet fighters in a flight sim forum, it will always end in blood and thunder. I have no problem with that, once you see the humor in it. I mean isnt it completely ridiculous to start World War III about such things as the look of a rifle?
Burning Bridges
Hunter

Post by Burning Bridges »

Perhaps I kind of understand what you mean now.
If you dont want more moderation, but you want people to stop getting more and more agitated about something relatively unimportant, until the thread has to be locked.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

RedBlooded wrote: You have some points, but like I said, that line has been crossed a quite a few times.

Here are two relatively recent topics:

I'm not in any way or shape asking for more moderation. I am asking for members to respect one another. That would solve the problem in the first place.
The first poster should not have gotten respect for his ideas, sorry. The poster in question complains constantly and never has anything good to say about pretty much anything and then goes on a rant and offering ultimatums...you reap what you sow...

The second one, not reading 13 pages of it but topics get derailed sometimes just like life conversations spin off course. This is life, live with it.

As Knut alluded to, part of respect for others is not tip toeing around other people's opinions and offering honest feedback regardless of the fact that some think it is just better to smile and say nothing. Smiling and saying nothing does nothing. Debate, honest debate, that includes challenging ideas and opinions, in particular when they are way out of line is how things are resolved and progress...
jeff1963
Hunter

Post by jeff1963 »

RedBlooded wrote: Here are two relatively recent topics:

See, I was with you till you showed this as an example, c'mon man!. ;-)
Thanks, ~Jeff

RedBlooded
Tracker

Post by RedBlooded »

Burning Bridges wrote:Perhaps I kind of understand what you mean now.
If you dont want more moderation, but you want people to stop getting more and more agitated about something relatively unimportant, until the thread has to be locked.
YES! That's exactly what I meant! Thank you!
vivoun
Spotter

Post by vivoun »

Personally, I hardly get into debates anymore. I usually just try to expose my ideas or whatever I feel the need to communicate in a form that is, in my opinion, good enough that educated people can see the point I'm trying to make. Some agrees, some don't, that's normal. I then leave it to that since I know eventually a few noisy people hi-jack the thread to impose their opinion until the thread dies out.

The deeper you get into simulations and niche genres the better the population. One of the best communities I've seen are those of DCS world & Lockhead martin prepar3d. The best I've seen is iRacing, I think it also has to do with the fact that you post and play with your real life name which is a blessing. TheHunter isn't the worst community by any means, but it seems there's always these few people that can't handle constructive criticism and sadly, as it's often the case, they also happen to be the most active and noisy.
jpm1
Outfitter

Post by jpm1 »

i have exactly opposite feeling of OP feeling . trolling is common on the internet just let it roll

Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”