i think its time for a "Karma"/Kudos System

Gooseman81
Outfitter

i think its time for a "Karma"/Kudos System

Post by Gooseman81 »

The Hunter is growing its community every day what in fact is a really nice thing (at least if you ask me),

but i think with a growing player base its time for a system in the forum where you can give Kudos / good kama to players that actually think about what they right and are a addition to the forum and neg karma to those who only troll and produce poopoo...
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Re: i think its time for a "Kama"/Kudos System

Post by TundraPuppy »

Gooseman81 wrote:The Hunter is growing its community every day what in fact is a really nice thing (at least if you ask me),

but i think with a growing player base its time for a system in the forum where you can give Kudos / good kama to players that actually think about what they right and are a addition to the forum and neg karma to those who only troll and produce poopoo...
The danger with a system where you essentially reward or punish people for what they say, is that you begin to enforce a universal opinion. Good ideas here don't need a karma system, because in theory every comment here should be good (that's our goal, right?) - what's the point of rewarding good posts when every post would then be rewarded? Why have karma at all if everything gets karma?

As for troll comments, I suggest you report them to the mods. That's a better way to handle troll posts since the moderators themselves can look at whether a post is trolling or merely against the status quo, and you don't risk negative karma being used to punish/silence/hide/ostracize people with unpopular opinions.

As a hypothetical, think about what it would have looked like if we had a neg karma system back when multiplayer was still just an idea. I still wake up at night in a cold sweat from the nightmares of people talking about how it was going to destroy the game, people were stupid if they wanted multiplay, go back to Call of Duty, you don't belong here, quit wasting dev time, etc, etc. You can't tell me that the vocal majority (and back then, they were) of people against multiplay wouldn't have used neg karma to punish people who dared suggest multiplay would be a good addition to the game. These suggestions were not trolling, they were just unpopular at the time - now look at how popular multiplay is. Those unpopular (at the time) ideas are what ends up getting punished along with the trolls. For a more current example, consider how pro- and con- people are for suppressors.

I think you have a lot of faith in your fellow forum goers, and I would like to as well. Sadly, I know how petty and vindictive people can be when they feel like their opinions or desires are being ignored or threatened, and they have some degree of power to do something about it.

tldr: Just report trolls to the mods. :)
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Agreed that a negative rating could be abused against those with a different opinion, but a Like counter would be interesting. I sometimes scroll through Facebook and don't bother commenting on stuff, but occasionally press the Like button because it is so convenient. The same might happen in the forum, where many folks read but few bother to comment.

If an idea got a lot of likes (and maybe a good argument against the idea would get likes too) we and also EW would have an indication about how much interest this topic raised.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

HooCairs wrote:Agreed that a negative rating could be abused against those with a different opinion, but a Like counter would be interesting. I sometimes scroll through Facebook and don't bother commenting on stuff, but occasionally press the Like button because it is so convenient. The same might happen in the forum, where many folks read but few bother to comment.

If an idea got a lot of likes (and maybe a good argument against the idea would get likes too) we and also EW would have an indication about how much interest this topic raised.
What if the moderators implemented a "Like" function, and then made +1 classified as spamming? That way, you would essentially have a "+1" (via the "Like"), without adding post count to a topic which would keep signal to noise ratio high and keep the thread somewhat clean?
Gooseman81
Outfitter

Post by Gooseman81 »

would be okay for me Puppy
0celot
Outfitter

Post by 0celot »

What happened to the +1 button? I like this. However I do try to not only support an idea by saying so, but adding something to the discussion. That said, I also believe a +1 button, acting as a nod of agreement is just more appropriate sometimes.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Re: i think its time for a "Karma"/Kudos System

Post by DHRifleman »

In all fairness you can't add a like button without a dislike button. You can't make it easy for those that agree with something, and hard for those that don't. What is wrong with actual discussions on topics? after all it is a forum created for that.

What is wrong with someone just posting +1 really? If it because of the thought some may use it to bolster their post count, so what.
Why is post count shown in the first place? it doesn't show anything except how many posts a person has made, and nothing about quality of posts.
It shows as much about a poster as the HS shows about a player of the game, which is really very little.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
DarkLord
Scout

Post by DarkLord »

Clicking a button is not an opinion. If you have something to say then you should say it loud and clear so everyone can hear it.

Spoiler:
TundraPuppy
Outfitter

Post by TundraPuppy »

DHRifleman, I think post count is a terrible thing for most forums in general, and you would find -absolutely zero argument- from me for removing it from these forums. I personally don't really care -who- is posting something, I can -what- the actual message is, regardless of whether it's from a player who has been here from Day 1, or a new player who registered his account yesterday. Good ideas are good ideas.

DarkLord, I completely agree with you in this case - sometimes, even rephrasing why you agree with something can yield new, subtle nuances, and gently change the discussion into new and interesting territory. It makes the discussion more organic, which a +1 "like" button completely negates.
Am I doing a good job? I thrive on feedback! Please PM me, or my bosses Alena Rybik or Tod1d with comments, criticisms, or accolades!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

HooCairs wrote:Agreed that a negative rating could be abused against those with a different opinion, but a Like counter would be interesting. I sometimes scroll through Facebook and don't bother commenting on stuff, but occasionally press the Like button because it is so convenient. The same might happen in the forum, where many folks read but few bother to comment.

thing is bots ! troll fake/ accounts.

look at facebook for eg. i have mentioned this too people already.looked into reporting incidents on fake promotion.

make a comment some persons comment video media is botted to be like so many times to appear to be popular.when in fact it doesn't receive that much traffic. ;) . i know i monitored them .

any systems like this are often abused .

its promoting a person that could be abused so easily .

same can happen on the forums people can be elevated to higher positions through falseness. big no from me.

Return to “Forums Feedback & Suggestions”