Remove Grey Wolf from TGT for a Week

DutchHunter74
Tracker

Re: Remove Grey Wolf from TGT for a Week

Post by DutchHunter74 »

Last weekend I went out to Timbergold to hunt some muleys for a competition. It had been a while since my last visit but I was shocked by what I saw. Wolves, wolves and wolves...way more than muleys or elks. I truly hope that EW will consider to decrease their population and not to remove them completely, just reduce their amounts to what is reasonable as in real life situations. And when doing that....please reduce also the amounts of carcasses and make them attract grizzlies as well... ;)
The ptarmigans can stay, they're fun to hunt but for the haters, maybe a button before the game starts to add birds/bird sounds yes or no in the upcoming hunt...? It is possible, we saw it during the release of the lynx in Hemmeldal..

EW, please take this thread serious, Timbergold is such a great reserve but nowadays hunting isn't as great as it used to be.
Spoiler:
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

TGT is great the way it is.
Don't like it?
Hunt somewhere else.

I put up with Roe Deer, you can put up with wolves.

Just my opinion.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I enjoyed TGT before the wolves but I also enjoy shooting wolves and would hate to see them removed. If it were up to me, I'd remove the chasing mechanic entirely. I'm not convinced that it adds any realism at all and it clearly irritates more players than it impresses. I mean, why would a wolf be chasing a full grown bull elk across the map when there are elk carcasses in almost every field?

That leads me to my next change, reduce the amount of carcasses that spawn in a hunt and possibly make wolves visit them more frequently. I have a favorite stand in TGT that's good for all the lower land species, including calling in wolves, that has a carcass that spawns near it more than half the time. I've hunted this stand dozens of times without calling and can count on one hand how many times I've seen wolves actively come to the carcass without an additional lure. They're probably too busy chasing all the elk and deer away to be concerned with the carcass or they're working away at the other couple dozen carcasses they have available to feed from.

And this is a much lesser problem but I get the feeling it could also be influenced by the chasing mechanic. I see A LOT of lone wolves. The longer a hunt goes on, the less likely it seems I will encounter a pack. I have never followed a pack long enough to confirm this, but I wonder if the chasing mechanic will break a pack up. I've seen packs feed together but don't think I've ever seen them chase together. If only one goes off on a chase or if they all go different ways chasing different animals, do they ever try to regroup? Deer trot around until they regroup but the lone wolves I see are never trotting so who knows if they're regrouping or just staying single after a chase.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

IMO all they need to do is reduce the number of wolves that spawn to some semblance of a balanced ecosystem. TGT has WAY more wolves than could realistically be supported by the number of prey animals on it.

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Been hunting there these past couple days and its way out of proportion !!
Way too many Wolves and all they do is chase !
74 spotted in 6 hunts = 7 real hours .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

xOEDragonx wrote:I enjoyed TGT before the wolves but I also enjoy shooting wolves and would hate to see them removed. If it were up to me, I'd remove the chasing mechanic entirely. I'm not convinced that it adds any realism at all and it clearly irritates more players than it impresses. I mean, why would a wolf be chasing a full grown bull elk across the map when there are elk carcasses in almost every field?

That leads me to my next change, reduce the amount of carcasses that spawn in a hunt and possibly make wolves visit them more frequently. I have a favorite stand in TGT that's good for all the lower land species, including calling in wolves, that has a carcass that spawns near it more than half the time. I've hunted this stand dozens of times without calling and can count on one hand how many times I've seen wolves actively come to the carcass without an additional lure. They're probably too busy chasing all the elk and deer away to be concerned with the carcass or they're working away at the other couple dozen carcasses they have available to feed from.

And this is a much lesser problem but I get the feeling it could also be influenced by the chasing mechanic. I see A LOT of lone wolves. The longer a hunt goes on, the less likely it seems I will encounter a pack. I have never followed a pack long enough to confirm this, but I wonder if the chasing mechanic will break a pack up. I've seen packs feed together but don't think I've ever seen them chase together. If only one goes off on a chase or if they all go different ways chasing different animals, do they ever try to regroup? Deer trot around until they regroup but the lone wolves I see are never trotting so who knows if they're regrouping or just staying single after a chase.
I pretty much agree with your whole statement about the Wolf chasing of Elk and the way too many Elk carcasses,.. if there are that many carcasses all over the place why would Wolves
be chasing Elks in the 1st place,... wouldn't they just be feeding on them? They should be lowered to only 25% of what carcasses there is now laying about,.. and while they do that make the Grizzly bears attracted to the carcasses because what Bear in it's right mind would pass up on a free meal........... ;) I don't think EW clearly thought over this feature when they added it.
If they made a change as we suggest I believe it would probably make a lot of players happier as I don't think the Wolves would interfere as much as they do now with other hunting as what a lot of other players dislike about features of the Wolves in TgT, even though it doesn't really bother me that much the way they are now, it wouldn't bother me if they lowered Elk carcasses and Wolves chasing them.

As far as lone Wolves are concerned that's what happens with Wolves a lot after they have had a feed and wonder off by themselves,.. that is the reason when the Alpha male is the one that
Howls calling the pack together when he gets hungry to gather the rest of the pack for a hunt. Another reason is how you suggest they're wondering off after chasing Elk may take them away from the whole pack. I have seen some regroup and I have seen some just keep roaming about further and further away from their pack... I don't see how it would hurt Wolf hunting by EW letting us
knowing this knowledge if some lone Wolves stay by themselves or some lone Wolves belongs to a certain pack and regroups with it or regroup with another pack? They may never tell
us that and it's really not that important to know even though how curious we may become about it.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

BearJohnson wrote:TGT is great the way it is.
Don't like it?
Hunt somewhere else.

I put up with Roe Deer, you can put up with wolves.

Just my opinion.
Yeah , dude. No one said it aint great. Design wise its the most beatiful map in the game. And on paper offers a great diversity for hunts. In reality its just not what it used to be. As a new player i can think it might still be fun cause u dont know the difference. But people that have played there before it all went down wont share your oppinion. I dont want to hunt somewhere else. I love the map. And i have , and am 100% sure , spend more then 50% of all my game time on there. I used to have a massive setup there and practically lived on that map at some point :lol: but at some point i moved everything cause i just couldnt stand the state it went to anymore without being heartbroken and ***** at the same time all the time. I wouldnt complain about the map on every occasion if i wouldnt deeply care about it. People just want it to become better again. I am sure u would have even more fun there then u already seem to have if the map will someday find its course back to the old good shape. And i am damn sure i would play a lot and spend a lot more again if this ever happens.

To some other people here. Never did i say remove them forever. I said for a week. So people can go out there and have another experience and perspective. We already have good suggestions. Tone down numbers, chasing and carcass. The devs could monitor the outcome and get an inspiriation on how to handle and finally fix the whole situation and then reintroduce everything else until satisfaction is reached. Wolfs are part of TGT and the howling and seeing a pack every now and then can add atmosphere and fun but its waaaay overdone atm to the point were itsjust ridiculous and annoying and i see this is a point were mostly everyone agrees that has seen it going down.
Last edited by D3AKUs on October 24th, 2018, 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

Let the wolves like they are, many things had to be fix before changing animals AI.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

SoftShoe wrote:IMO all they need to do is reduce the number of wolves that spawn to some semblance of a balanced ecosystem. TGT has WAY more wolves than could realistically be supported by the number of prey animals on it.
Very reasonable and realistic take on it.

Make their tails shorter too, EW, while you're at it. I keep saying it, but a wolf's tail hangs to its hocks--shortish, and very straight. These long, curved tails that touch the ground are just... bizarre.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

@OP Remove Grey Wolf from TGT for a Week

I believe this will never, ever happen but boy it sure would be nice if something was done.

If you haven't seen it, this thread is very much like one I posted a couple months ago.. https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=88278

There's a lot of ideas from a lot of different players/viewpoints, much like your thread here. Thanks for this thread. :)

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”