Suggestions for North American Hunters

Firebird213

Suggestions for North American Hunters

Post by Firebird213 »

I think hunting is nice to enjoy the environment and a great way to relax, and to respect wildlife. I remember the Deer hunter series, i have a few suggestions into one thread, things i want to see not really suggest. swamps and pinelands for whitetails. how about antler growth with the change of seasons and climbing treestands? Theres alot of weapons i dont know for what maybe war with the animals lol. Hunting in North America is special becuase whitetail are elusive, man i miss the deer hunter series.
xOEDragonx

Re: Suggestions for North American Hunters

Post by xOEDragonx »

Welcome to the forums Firebird. Perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself in the new members section of the forum? :)

Whitetails can be found in swampy areas of the game, including throughout Rougarou Bayou (almost the whole map is a swamp) and occasionally in the northwestern swamp area of Redfeather Falls. There aren't really any pine plantations in the game that you might see in the states but Redfeather Falls does offer several large evergreen stands in the northern and eastern parts of the map. Unfortunately you won't find many whitetails there though, mostly just elk and blacktails with the occasional bear or moose.

Rut and seasons in general seem to be a popular request so maybe we could still see these in the future. Many players are in favor of a full behavioral update for the deer species that would include rut, fighting, scrapes, and other things of that nature. I too would might like to see these things added. Antler growth is a whole different story though as it would require the game to have some sort of progression. Right now each new hunt is it's own separate entity with totally different animals. If we could have a progressive system where a small deer in one hunt would be a monster in another, well, I'm not so sure that'd be different enough from a monster deer spawning randomly in the existing system to warrant the effort developers would have to put into a whole new seasonal system.

The arsenal of weapons available in the game now are there because they offer the player a variety of hunting options. Different calibers have different strengths and weaknesses and can often only be used for certain species groups. There's nothing wrong with the variety of weapons available and the entire game can realistically be played with just a couple weapons (particularly a compound bow).

I'm not sure what the draw would be for a climbing stand. Right now we have tree stands that are easy to carry around in the game and can be placed instantly on most trees. Aside from maybe aesthetic reasons, I'm not sure how a climber would be any different unless you actually want to play out the climbing part. Honestly, I believe the climbing rope mini-games on Val-de-bois are irritating enough, I'd hate to have to play a ridiculous mini-game every time I want to get up in a tree.
Firebird213

Post by Firebird213 »

Hey, the seasons and rut would be superb with antler growth, would make each outing unique and exciting to see whats out there. A spike one year to a possible 10 point or maybey a small 6 or 4 pointer with its own size, a skinny fork or a tall fork. The possibilities are endless. Besides that you said they have treestands you can carry around and put in trees?
Firebird213

Post by Firebird213 »

I dont know i think the devs started out wrong, more sight seeing of a game, i dont even have a pc with those specs for now. climbing treestands is whats popular in real life hunting incase yiu didnt know. We need a hunting game.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Certain parts of this game are "left to the imagination". For example, when I click on a track I don't imagine that the information is really showing up on my GPS. That's just the way the game connects you to the information. I imagine it's what I'm thinking when I observe the track. Same with spotting info.
Likewise, you can imagine that placing a treestand is climbing the tree. Having some kind of mini-game to actually climb would be really annoying & immersion breaking. (just like the rope climbing).
Antler growth would require persistent animals. Given the way this game is played, you would be playing an entire hunting season in a week (or 1 day if you play a lot).
The seasons would have to be drastically shortened to keep the game fun. Would you want to do a dozen hunts just to shoot one animal like IRL?

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Do you want a more realistic hunting game? Or do you want the game to be more "arcade" like Deer Hunter? (Less "sight-seeing"?)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Hynu
Tracker

Post by Hynu »

I think thehunter has the balance between realism and game reasonably right, I mean it has to be fun at the end of the day, not days without seeing an animal ala real life. Expectations need to be realistic within ourselves aswell ;)
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

You said you don't have a PC with the specs right now, I assume that means you haven't actually played the game (or might you happen to be talking about theHunter : Call of the Wild?) There is a system in this game called TruRacs that randomizes antler configuration on deer species. I'd definitely argue that TruRacs offers endless possibilities already. No, you don't get to watch a spike grow into a forkhorn then a big eight point. But who'd want to do that when there's a sixteen point, 180+ score swamp donkey crawling around right now? The game in it's current state always has a few surprises around each corner (monsters sizes, rare skin variations, non-typicals, even typicals with unique kickers). Perhaps you should go check check out the screenshot section of the forum and see some of the animals that people harvest in the game. Each animal is much more unique than the cookie cutter antlers you used to find throughout most of the Deer Hunter series.

Yes, there are stands in this game. There are hang-on tree stands that need to be placed in trees as well as tripod stands and ground blinds that can be placed almost anywhere. There are also large deployable hunting towers that you get from buying memberships or earning from certain holiday events. With several stand options already, I don't see climbers bringing anything new to the table.

And I can't quite wrap my head around the thought that the devs started wrong. This game has existed for about ten years now, much longer than any single series game, so my thought is they've been doing something right. The game has also seen a change of developers since it's start. With over 40 species to hunt, 12 maps to hunt them on, a seemingly endless line of weapons to hunt with and a whole arsenal of gear to help you, I hardly see this as being a sightseeing game. If you have played the game (although like I said, I assume this is all just your speculation) and all you've done is sightseeing, perhaps you need to reassess your hunting technique.

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”