Animal targets for every species please!

CapnQuint
Tracker

Re: Animal targets for every species please!

Post by CapnQuint »

Sherab86 wrote:
srb2012 wrote:i mentioned on another post a few months back about having a placeable mat for target practice, you could place it anywhere on the map. now imagine placing one on top of the many hills on brr and setting up some goat, pig, roo decoys 200 meters out.
when using a placeable mat you get unlimited amo only when standing, kneeling on it. the devs would need to figure out how for this not to be abused and in general shooting, perhaps using this pad the amo is target shot only and can't kill any animals.
the 200 meter range was only so as its not as far to travel back and forth with diff weapons and decoys if you want to change them.

I like the idea too. :)
Yeah I would like custom built shooting ranges the best, that way you can do whatever you need. Testing bullet drop of a new rifle, testing penetration on bigger animals, and even just having fun in multiplayer. It would bring a lot of new things to the game's experience.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

I might be the only one with the opposite feeling on this idea . I just don't see where it could make sufficient money for EW and how useful it could really be for players . I , for one would not use a system like that .
Best practice for me is on the field with the real animals . With time , a player will get the experience and the skills , like in real life .

Too much work for EW vs. what it would bring them is what i think. There are soooo many other things that need to be done imo, before that . Like i said soooo many times also , lets see some improving of the gameplay before adding stuff. I can hear some say : Well, it will improve my gameplay if i can practice !! Sure !! And you have many places and kind of shooting range to do just that already !!

I'm not saying that its not a good idea . Maybe doesn't suits my needs , thats all .Anyway what do i know right ? Don't hold your breath guys . ;)

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Well, I don't consider this to be of first priority either (however, my personal "first priorities" are probably not so much important for most of players too). :) I simply think, this is nice idea, that's all. Regardless of the fact is it profitable or not for EW, I simply like the idea - nothing more, nothing less. ;)

Good hunting! :)
CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

DYEUZ wrote:I might be the only one with the opposite feeling on this idea . I just don't see where it could make sufficient money for EW and how useful it could really be for players . I , for one would not use a system like that .
Best practice for me is on the field with the real animals . With time , a player will get the experience and the skills , like in real life .

Too much work for EW vs. what it would bring them is what i think. There are soooo many other things that need to be done imo, before that . Like i said soooo many times also , lets see some improving of the gameplay before adding stuff. I can hear some say : Well, it will improve my gameplay if i can practice !! Sure !! And you have many places and kind of shooting range to do just that already !!

I'm not saying that its not a good idea . Maybe doesn't suits my needs , thats all .Anyway what do i know right ? Don't hold your breath guys . ;)
You have made a lot of good points in the thread and it's always a good thing to have a devils advocate in the discussion. However I feel my friends and I would get a lot of use out of this and I think if there are enough people like me it will bring in some revenue. Thanks for your thoughts though!
Buckkiller4
Hunter

Post by Buckkiller4 »

I like the idea because you could get a feel for shot placement, but I feel I like Instinctive's idea better of a range in the woods. It would be more realistic and you could actually get a feel for how it would be in the woods, not just on a range.
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

You could create a mini-reserve only used as a shooting range.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

fantamichele wrote:You could create a mini-reserve only used as a shooting range.
I think the whole shooting range thing is a good idea. Fantamichele's addition would make it even better. All the target ranges on one map.

If it were me I would also add sporting clays to it so we could have ground shots on moving targets for shotguns or what ever you would want to use.
Spoiler:
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I enjoy the idea of this entire concept. The thing I picture would likely be a combination of many of the ideas suggested-- it would be treated like it's own mini-map (it would need to be something big enough to offer long range shots), it would have a variety of targets at many distances or even movable targets, and instead of buying sets of animal targets I'd rather they come with it and instead you pay a one-time fee to access the "range" or it could be a member only beneft. Making it member access only could encourage membership sales. But then, is shooting fake animals on a non-huntable map really something that would encourage a guest to buy a membership? A one-time fee like a trophy lodge wouldn't be too bad, but there's another thread going on right now where membership benefits came up and I was just thinking something like this could be a cool member feature.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Allow me to shed some light on the developer side of things.

I am a former developer (CGI artist). If you ever played Microsoft Flight Simultor there is a good chance you toyed with some of my work. I work in 3DS Max, Mudbox, Photoshop & Lightroom primarily.

Creating an entirely new reserve would probably be the best way to make this happen. You could then code all the ground tiles so you didnt use ammo anywhere. Its entirely realistic to have a long range rifle course. 3d archery course & even a sporting clays course on that range. From what I have seen of the game so far all the elements are already in place to make it work.

I may be talking through my hat since I dont know what engine theHunter uses but so long as it isnt archaic the mods we are suggesting shouldnt be a problem.

1st off the notion of will creating something be worthwhile to EW is frankly foolish. Every single update, addition & mod adds to the products value making the consumer that much more likely to want to spend their money on the game. Making a new map/weapon/animal is never a waste. There is always someone somewhere out there that is willing to spend money to get it. Hell there are a number of things I would love to see in game. I will even model & skin them gratis if EW will put them in game.
2nd: Unless they contract out for their talent they have CGI artists, coders, animators on the payroll. These folks need to be doing something daily to justify their salary. If they arent getting much out of them maybe they should contract out for talent ( I am available for moonlight gigs :D ).
Finally doing this is not a major project. Any CGI guy can make a good map in a day or two. Since there is already a plethora of resources for textures & animals there is very little work to skinnging the map. Hell if they wanted to they could plop these ranges down on every preserve with some excludes & flattens cutting the work down even more.

Monetizing this isnt a significant hurdle. A number of good options have already been suggested but they should avoid nickel & diming us. I like the idea of buying season passes or better yet, just make access to the range limited to members.

Frankly I think EW should stop pandering to the free to play crowd. They will never amount to much more then a blip on the bottom line. Instead make theHunter free for 2 weeks then either become a member or stop playing. There are a number of games out there that do exactly this. All of them cater to niche markets which this definitely is as well. For those of us that love it 30 something bucks a year is nothing.

CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

SoftShoe wrote:Allow me to shed some light on the developer side of things.

I am a former developer (CGI artist). If you ever played Microsoft Flight Simultor there is a good chance you toyed with some of my work. I work in 3DS Max, Mudbox, Photoshop & Lightroom primarily.

Creating an entirely new reserve would probably be the best way to make this happen. You could then code all the ground tiles so you didnt use ammo anywhere. Its entirely realistic to have a long range rifle course. 3d archery course & even a sporting clays course on that range. From what I have seen of the game so far all the elements are already in place to make it work.

I may be talking through my hat since I dont know what engine theHunter uses but so long as it isnt archaic the mods we are suggesting shouldnt be a problem.

1st off the notion of will creating something be worthwhile to EW is frankly foolish. Every single update, addition & mod adds to the products value making the consumer that much more likely to want to spend their money on the game. Making a new map/weapon/animal is never a waste. There is always someone somewhere out there that is willing to spend money to get it. Hell there are a number of things I would love to see in game. I will even model & skin them gratis if EW will put them in game.
2nd: Unless they contract out for their talent they have CGI artists, coders, animators on the payroll. These folks need to be doing something daily to justify their salary. If they arent getting much out of them maybe they should contract out for talent ( I am available for moonlight gigs :D ).
Finally doing this is not a major project. Any CGI guy can make a good map in a day or two. Since there is already a plethora of resources for textures & animals there is very little work to skinnging the map. Hell if they wanted to they could plop these ranges down on every preserve with some excludes & flattens cutting the work down even more.

Monetizing this isnt a significant hurdle. A number of good options have already been suggested but they should avoid nickel & diming us. I like the idea of buying season passes or better yet, just make access to the range limited to members.

Frankly I think EW should stop pandering to the free to play crowd. They will never amount to much more then a blip on the bottom line. Instead make theHunter free for 2 weeks then either become a member or stop playing. There are a number of games out there that do exactly this. All of them cater to niche markets which this definitely is as well. For those of us that love it 30 something bucks a year is nothing.
That's how I imagine it happening, just an unrecorded reserve that you can spawn into for shooting and shot placement practice.
I would love it if they just made it members only, I would get a lot of use out of it and new members would really appreciate it.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”