Piccabeen Bay Reserve .

JJ74
Tracker

Re: Piccabeen Bay Reserve .

Post by JJ74 »

Sambar Deer don't respond to calls IRL, also the call made ingame is a warning call but they added it as a normal call for whatever reason?
Jagdreviermeister

Post by Jagdreviermeister »

Obviously to locate them. And because they don't respond, we don't have a caller for them. I remember Mat saying that they release animals which cannot get attracted to make hunting a bit more challenging. I'm fine with that.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Deer are Deer, mostly no matter what species they are.... They are alert ,.. learning this as a prey species over ions of centuries from predation,.. most everything wants to kill them.
The only thing I've found in the hunter game that perturbs me a lot is how the deer spook when you are downwind of them and you can be crouching(stalking) them and they still get alerted
of your presence from sound or scent or sight, whether you have cover scent on (this just doesn't work) but I still put it on. The other problem is the Deer on PB are on a constant move unless feeding early morning or towards evening. And this can be a real handicap in the other hours of the day because our crouch mode is a lot slower than their roaming mode,.. thus it is a lot harder to catch up to them without spooking them in the process of movement. I like to stalk big game much more than sitting in a stand waiting for animals to arrive,.. and I like to track big animals or just come across them in my wonderings,.. so you can see how this game is limited in your hunting abilities to actually just plain luck running across animals in this game once you know where the spawns are.
I would really like to see a stealth mode in the game where your abilities would grow the more you hunted this way. Something that would put you up to the most alert quarry and
balance out your abilities with hunting the animal. But I guess that is another subject all its own,.. and will have to be brought up hopefully sometime in a near future post.
I know IRL I can get to within feet of a bedded deer if I can keeps it's senses from getting alerted from my presence,.. especially when I know where the bedding area is.
In the game they can bed anywhere, and they have no daily routines & trail routes that they use.
But I guess we can't expect everything from just a game,.. now can we?
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

gas56 wrote:Deer are Deer, mostly no matter what species they are.... They are alert ,.. learning this as a prey species over ions of centuries from predation,.. most everything wants to kill them.
The only thing I've found in the hunter game that perturbs me a lot is how the deer spook when you are downwind of them and you can be crouching(stalking) them and they still get alerted
of your presence from sound or scent or sight, whether you have cover scent on (this just doesn't work) but I still put it on. The other problem is the Deer on PB are on a constant move unless feeding early morning or towards evening. And this can be a real handicap in the other hours of the day because our crouch mode is a lot slower than their roaming mode,.. thus it is a lot harder to catch up to them without spooking them in the process of movement. I like to stalk big game much more than sitting in a stand waiting for animals to arrive,.. and I like to track big animals or just come across them in my wonderings,.. so you can see how this game is limited in your hunting abilities to actually just plain luck running across animals in this game once you know where the spawns are.
I would really like to see a stealth mode in the game where your abilities would grow the more you hunted this way. Something that would put you up to the most alert quarry and
balance out your abilities with hunting the animal. But I guess that is another subject all its own,.. and will have to be brought up hopefully sometime in a near future post.
I know IRL I can get to within feet of a bedded deer if I can keeps it's senses from getting alerted from my presence,.. especially when I know where the bedding area is.
In the game they can bed anywhere, and they have no daily routines & trail routes that they use.
But I guess we can't expect everything from just a game,.. now can we?

Well, I suppose every animal is slightly different. And I'm talking not only about inter-species differences, but about inter-specimen too. As you all (most of you) know, I'm not a hunter IRL. I'm amateur photographer, however I was "working" mostly with amphibians, reptiles and birds. Only occasionaly with mammals. So I do lack of experience. But from what I've read, smell, while very important, do not neccessery spook animals instantly, but quite often makes them more wary. They start to observe their surroundings more carefully. May become more nervous, or quite contrary - inquisitve. But not neccesery they run away just after they've smelled the potential danger. This is perhaps even more true in case of sounds - I've read a lot, that animals are simply used to some cracks, and so on. So it seems, while animals can be aware of our presence quite early, they often need visual confirmation before starting to run away. And of course I don't mean they will never run away just after smelling us. But simply this do not have to be the case. But game is game. Things works differently here. But for compensation, animal's sences are quite dumped in the game. Let's take for example piggies. ;) They have one of the best noses in the world - and how close can we get in-game to them even going upwnwind to them? I would say - very close. So there is something for something in exchange. Animals may "overreact" compared to IRL sometimes, but from other hand their sences are highly dumped, and they occur much more densly than IRL. They call more, and so on. Taking into consideration limited area of in-game reserves (they are still quite impressive), and render distance, some compromises are unavoidable I suppose.

Theorethicaly, in-game animals do have daily-routine, from what we know. They have some "periods" when they are hungry, thursty, or sleepy. And there are supposidly "attraction zones". However, my impressions are similar to yours. I believe, that attraction zones are very generalised, having big area, and the choice to with animal will go this time is quite random. This is probably not very immersive, nor reallistic, but... at least theorethicaly, keeps things interesting. If we would know, that there is certain route, animals will travel every time we hunt, things would get too easy, don't you think? At least in game without any real "progression" - I mention this, because of CoTW, where we have a kind of "character developement", so maybe there is no problem with that(?).

But, said all this, I would also like to see in-game animals being somewhat less "robotic" - go by straight line to one "area" - do my bussiness, go to another, and so on. I would like to see more interactions, better herd-AI, more grazing... For example, in case od Sambar I have nothing against the speed their roam. Problem is, they roam almost constantly. It seems that traveling from one area to another takes most of their time, and for actual "actions" they spend only few minutes. From what I've read, IRL they aslo generaly keep close to their preffered feeding and drinking "zones, but in-game they can probably travel through whole reserve. As I wrote before, this can have pros and cons from gameplay perspective. But this probably makes "knowledge" almost useless in the game.

And I admitt I miss such a feature. For example, by developing our tracking and spotting skills, we would also be unlocking some "bestiary entries" informing us of preffered "zones", daily schedules and so on. Of course this wouldn't realy work, because after one player would unlock such info, all other would be soon informed probably. ;) But I would like such or similar feature. ;)

Sorry for this off-topic, but I felt this is good occasions to share this.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

OK,... my perspective is sort of different from yours about hunting IRL, and in the game a generalization of habits is basically all that can be done for now,..
When I speak of Hunter abilities I am referring to counter experience of the animals abilities of senses that alert them.
And one cannot go without the other even in a game,.. that is why I said this subject would have to posted entirely on its own in the near future.
IRL animals use trails & routes to get from a feeding area to a bedding area and is not that easily recognized as what trail they are using at a given time, as there may be several food source areas
and a bedding area that correlates to this food source and the time of year. This grows into many criss-crossing trails that overlap travel routes that animals use to get from point A to point B
at any given time of the year. And also may be changed at any given time from what available food sources are at, from disturbances from peoples recreation, logging, farming, hunting pressure, and the like. This game does not have structure like this and therefore is more like a one day hunting trip into an area that you've never really been in and players rely on known spawn areas
to begin hunting there, thus being more successful at the game because of this random repetitious setups. If a player really wants to score big on good hunting spots the place to start is in the leaderboards. Making a chart of all trophy animals will reveal specific spots where they have been taken and will give some insight of where and when they have been taken. It would be some work,.. but I think it could be easily done. To me, I don't really care of doing this,.. as I like to explore and discover places myself and if I get a few trophies while I'm doing it It's satisfying enough for me. What I was also referring to was if Rusa bucks , and especially Sambar Deer bucks are so skittish then maybe they should set the other deer up in the game like these as well,
or on the other hand make the Sambar Deer bucks more like the rest of the Deer,.. and usually should be browsing all the way to their beds or where ever that it is heading, because sometimes it looks like they are just rambling along with nothing but roaming on their mind.......... :lol: It kind of reminds me of the Bateng, the Water Buffalo too, and what bovine have you seen not feeding during the daylight hours???
I guess I'm rambling on also so I'm gonna stop for now......;)
Have a good 1...........GAS
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

gas56 wrote:IRL animals use trails & routes to get from a feeding area to a bedding area and is not that easily recognized as what trail they are using at a given time, as there may be several food source areas
and a bedding area that correlates to this food source and the time of year. This grows into many criss-crossing trails that overlap travel routes that animals use to get from point A to point B
at any given time of the year. And also may be changed at any given time from what available food sources are at, from disturbances from peoples recreation, logging, farming, hunting pressure, and the like.
Yes, of course you are right. But from what I've read, for example for Whitetail, hunters starts to prepair to hunting season prior to it, searching those trails, zones, and so on. So they/you can maximise they/your's chances as much as possible. And due to the reasons you gived later, in-game this is more like rulette. Is this good, or bad from gameplay perspective can be debatable at best.

And I was thinking only about the fact, that if some more-less constant areas, and connecting routes would be introduced into to the game - then just in-game this could make things too easy. By all means I'm not saying, that this is easy IRL.

gas56 wrote:This game does not have structure like this and therefore is more like a one day hunting trip into an area that you've never really been in and players rely on known spawn areas
to begin hunting there, thus being more successful at the game because of this random repetitious setups. If a player really wants to score big on good hunting spots the place to start is in the leaderboards. Making a chart of all trophy animals will reveal specific spots where they have been taken and will give some insight of where and when they have been taken
Yeah, I agree.

However I wonder how much knowledge of spawn zones is realy helpful, even at the begining of the hunt. Don't take me wrong, there is no doubt higher possibility to meet some animals going into direction of closest spawn zone just at the begining of the session. From other hand, game's engine seems to simulate some roaming after spawning, but prior to "putting" players character into the environment. If not, I don't know how to explain for example 30 minutes old tracks just after starting the hunt ;)

Personally, for Sambar (but also for Banteng) I've started to note the time and coordinates of places, where I've found them performing "actions" - feeding, drinking, and sleeping. I would like to create a kind od "net" connecting those areas later. However list is rarhter short so far. ;) Mainly with Sambar, this is not that easy to find them in the first place, and after I do, they mostly just roam around, as you've noted. ;)

Well, nevermind, this was mostly off-topic. ;)

Best wishes! :)
Last edited by Sherab86 on January 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Sherab86 wrote:From other hand, game's engine seems to simulate some roaming after spawning, but prior to "putting" players character into the environment. If not, I don't know how to explain for example 30 minutes old tracks just after starting the hunt ;)
1 hour...The animals roam for 1 game-hour before the player spawns.
Personal Bests...
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Exactly what Fletchette is saying . When you are on the loading page and hear the music play , reserve loading and all , thats when the animals roam that 1 hr , to leave some tracks for us to get .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Fletchette wrote:
Sherab86 wrote:From other hand, game's engine seems to simulate some roaming after spawning, but prior to "putting" players character into the environment. If not, I don't know how to explain for example 30 minutes old tracks just after starting the hunt ;)
1 hour...The animals roam for 1 game-hour before the player spawns.
DYEUZ wrote:Exactly what Fletchette is saying . When you are on the loading page and hear the music play , reserve loading and all , thats when the animals roam that 1 hr , to leave some tracks for us to get .
Thanks guys. This is what I was thinking. :)
CapnQuint
Tracker

Post by CapnQuint »

I do agree the sambar's health needs some tweaking. It's so hard to penetrate their chest cavity to hit their organs. I have taken shots with 7mm magnum and 9.3x62 ammunition that where very well aimed and when I tracked it down it just wouldn't get through to the organs. It's not so much they have high health, it's just really hard to get heart and lung shots.

Return to “Environment & Hunting Area Suggestions”