A couple of competition style ideas

Beldin
Scout

A couple of competition style ideas

Post by Beldin »

I've been thinking of some possible additions to current list of competitions that are in rotation. Something like...
  1. Competitions that run for longer than 2 days
    Currently most competitions (except some special event ones) run for exactly 48 hours, no matter what day of the week it starts and ends. With the number of attempts being limited to 10 and time frame for that being only 48 hours, players who have to be at work/school or have a family to take care of etc. have quite a big disadvantage to those who can spend all their days just gaming. I would like to suggest adding competitions that last for a week, with attempts limited to 2 per day (instead of 10 attempts overall), if that sort of limitation is somehow possible. This would allow working people and more casual players to get more attempts in, without it feeling too grindy, and those who can stay at home playing 24/7 can still use all their attempts easily if they want to. They would just be spread over the whole week instead of into two days.
  2. Multi-Species competitions within one reserve
    As far as I have noticed, all of the current multi-species competitions are set up so that you need to hunt in multiple reserves to find all related animals. I would like to see reserve-based multi-species competitions, for two or even more species. For example, a competition in Redfeather Falls to get the highest combined score of Moose and Roosevelt Elk, or another in Timbergold Trails for the highest combined score of Grey Wolf and Grizzly Bear for some real challenge. I'm sure there are a lot of interesting combinations that would give us a good challenge, without the need to hop between reserves.
  3. More competitions for multiplayer
    I still can't quite understand why so many of the simple "get a high score" style competitions are limited to single player, when there are a few here and there that can be done in multiplayer. Whenever I play the game, I always host multiplayer sessions as I enjoy a bit of friendly banter while gaming. Long distance competitions being singIe player only I can understand, for certain reasons, but anything based on score or weight should in my opinion be allowed in multiplayer.
That's what comes to my mind right now. Feel free to comment on those ideas, or just completely slam them down if you don't agree. Note that I'm not asking for any current competitions to be removed, these could be just additions for more variety.
Spoiler:
Andhii
Scout

Re: A couple of competition style ideas

Post by Andhii »

Beldin wrote:
I would like to suggest adding competitions that last for a week, with attempts limited to 2 per day (instead of 10 attempts overall)
I'v done quite few competitions during the years and I would estimate that 80% of time I don't spend more than 3-4 attempts even if I would have time to use all 10. Before the membership model change things were different, some competitions I would restart the map just to get my free ammo back instead of buying it. Having just 2 attempts sounds too low and you have to keep in mind that sometimes when you start loading the map, an error occurs and you'v lost an attempt with 1 second hunt. This ofcourse would have to be fixed with the attempt change if it is possible.

So current system works fine in my opinnion :)
Beldin wrote: As far as I have noticed, all of the current multi-species competitions are set up so that you need to hunt in multiple reserves to find all related animals.
Other than the few duck competitions there are, which require multiple duck species, and the Laura whatsherface challange (combined mule and whitetail) competition, I would agree here. But then again, some people like the concept of focusing only on mule deer in timbergold, and then focusing on whitetail deer in redfeather falls instead of just doing 10 hunts in loggers point.

Yay from me for more multi-species comps hosted in same reserve.

Beldin wrote: I still can't quite understand why so many of the simple "get a high score" style competitions are limited to single player, when there are a few here and there that can be done in multiplayer. Whenever I play the game, I always host multiplayer sessions as I enjoy a bit of friendly banter while gaming. Long distance competitions being singIe player only I can understand, for certain reasons, but anything based on score or weight should in my opinion be allowed in multiplayer.
I agree. 99,5% of my games are multiplayer, simply because I alt tab alot and want to keep the game running while I do so. Ofcourse there's the aspect of other players coming to help with competitions but I really don't see that as such a bad thing as some others do. I do long range competitions alone, in multiplayer and usually with success. Having a friend standing next to me with binocs doesn't help me at all. There are competitions that are certainly easier if you have someone helping you, but still do-able without help.

These are just my toughts :roll:
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
Beldin
Scout

Post by Beldin »

Andhii wrote:Having just 2 attempts sounds too low ...
Did you read that part properly? I suggested 2 attempts PER DAY, which would mean 14 attempts total. That's more attempts than regular competitions have now, they would just be spread over the whole week instead of into two day period. This would sort of level the playground between casual players and those who can grind a lot within two days: Casuals would have more time to get multiple attempts at it, and "the grinders" couldn't just use all of the attempts in one go.

Also, note that I said these were suggested as additions, not replacements.
Andhii wrote:... sometimes when you start loading the map, an error occurs and you'v lost an attempt ...
This could perhaps be solved by not counting extremely short sessions with no movement, tracking or spotting as attempts at all. If an error occurs while trying to join the reserve, the session length on your hunt history is usually from zero to two seconds. Filtering these out would be very welcome, as they are obviously not competition attempts, but just failed attempts to start the game. Happened a lot during the recent multiplayer issues for example.
Andhii wrote:Having a friend standing next to me with binocs doesn't help me at all.
That wouldn't help me either, but if it was a longest range competition and he was about 320m away from you horizontally, that would be make the situation very different.
Spoiler:
Superphideur

Post by Superphideur »

• More competitions for multiplayer
    I still can't quite understand why so many of the simple "get a high score" style competitions are limited to single player, when there are a few here and there that can be done in multiplayer. Whenever I play the game, I always host multiplayer sessions as I enjoy a bit of friendly banter while gaming. Long distance competitions being singIe player only I can understand, for certain reasons, but anything based on score or weight should in my opinion be allowed in multiplayer.
Most of competition are single player because sadly there is some people who exploit the multiplayer to avoid using attemps.
'll explain , suppose you have differents computer and differents accounts (or friends) , you may start many mutiplayer game just spawnmashing without activating the comp, and once you find the record animal you are looking for , just activate the comp with the account you want to win it and join the multiplayer game where the animal is. Only one attemp counted then.

For the 2 others ideas , I'm good with the actual comp model of 10 attemps for 48h , grinder are part of the game , and since luck of spawning a great animal is a great factor grinding doesn't mean that much with only 10 attemps.

+1 for the multispecies located on one reserve, could be fun, especially if you need to have them in the same hunt and not 2 differents hunts.
alssn
Tracker

Post by alssn »

For me competitions are fine, the only problem is with "distance" competitions, they are just an exploitable for old players.

Image Image Image
Beldin
Scout

Post by Beldin »

Superphideur wrote:... spawnmashing without activating the comp, and once you find the record animal you are looking for , just activate the comp with the account you want to win it and join the multiplayer game where the animal is.
Ah, yeah, this could be a problem indeed. However, considering my recent success with the few selected competitions I have participated in by just activating them and doing a couple of longer hunts casually, never even using all attempts as that would mean playing 12 hours a day with my normal style, I don't really see it as being such a huge issue that the multiplayer should be so rarely allowed.

It would definitely be fine for "one reserve, multiple species in the same hunt" style competitions, as pure spawn mashing would just not work for them at all. Even if you spawn mashed for one species, the others would still have to be found in the same hunt. It could also work for single species competitions, if the result was calculated for example as the average of 3 highest scores in one session. That could be quite a different challenge too.
Superphideur wrote:I'm good with the actual comp model of 10 attemps for 48h , grinder are part of the game ...
Grinders are obviously a thing, and they would obviously get all their attempts in even with my suggestions.

However, my thought behind the longer durations was leveling the playing field between casual players and grinders. If we think about the intended way of participating, as in no spawn mashing abuse through other accounts: With the current 48 hour limit on nearly everything, grinders can of course spend all their attempts, while casuals get to use a handful at best. If the duration was longer, grinders would still get all their attempts in, while casuals would be able to "catch up" by having several more days to get their attempts done. Downside would of course be that there would also be more time for that spawn mashing, but let's just limit this idea to the "multiple species in one hunt" competitions then. In those, it could work very well, if it's possible to set up that sort of rules on the system.
Spoiler:

Return to “Mission & Competition Suggestions”