Items required for missions - strategy change needed

Knut
Outfitter

Items required for missions - strategy change needed

Post by Knut »

I felt the need to word my feeling of urgency growing with every new item introduced that the developers team would be well advised to change the current strategy on mission requirements.

While I am fully aware of the purpose and idea behind the requirements of certain items to fulfil certain missions, and therefore fully understand that a certain amount of items will always be required, I feel that it would not be good to follow the current strategy that every gun and a lot of additional items are at some point needed to complete all missions.
I feel that with the growing item variety and also redundancy this is an issue that on the long run will cause resentment even in faithful believers in the game. Do I really need to own every single piece of equipment (premium excluded) to be regarded as a well paying, good customer who should have access to all game content? Even if I already own a gun (or maybe in the future several) of said calibre?

I feel that with the growing redundancy of items the current policy cannot continue.

I'd therefore suggest to define a set/range of items that are considered essential (maybe 50%-75% percent?) and will be needed at one or the other point, while other items belong into redundancy groups where owning one item of the group in question will be sufficient to access everything.

With the growing variety of items I feel that it is otherwise inevitable that a growing grudge within the player community will arise and fear that will benefit no one on the long run.

Therefore I'd like to ask EW to set up a proper strategy for future items and missions now and probably/if necessary adjust the existing missions accordingly. The earlier the better, I feel.

Had to share this thoughts and felt they belong in this board. But if they're better suiting into the general board, please feel free to move the thread.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
L3M182
Outfitter

Re: Items required for missions - strategy change needed

Post by L3M182 »

yeah agree with this. i am yet to complete a full mission chain because i need something i don't have. there is a nosler mission that requires you have 7 of the firearms, its a bit of a slap in the face. maybe if it was a choice of 2 or 3 and not "you must use this specific piece of kit".
or it must be done with 100% harvest value so a broad range of firearms was still necessary to do all the missions, that would be fair.
Akemaru
Outfitter

Post by Akemaru »

fully agree with this.
I have 7 missions that require a new weapon but I am not going to buy them as I am not really bothered about completing the missions
It would have been better if there was a set of missions for each new weapon,
Exanimis
Hunter

Post by Exanimis »

Buying every weapon in the game is a choice and no one has to do it. You want to finish every mission, Why? You get GM's for completing a mission and what do you use them for, one shotgun, scent spray and scent remover. I have all of that and still have tens of thousands of GM's, 25,980 to be exact. No one says you have to complete every mission or that you have to have all the equipment in the game, that is the choice of the individual. Do you really have to have a mission to enjoy hunting in the EHR? I don't feel like I need every mission completed as long as I can buy scent remover, I don't need to join compititions or to even have a goal in mind to enjoy hunting in this game but I am sure no one cares about my opinion and will probably complain about it.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Oh no, the "you don't have to" e.g. "no one forces you" argument....
(It actually isn't even one in the philosophical sense)

It's not about what I have to, but what I want to, what I am allowed to and how I feel about the discrepancy between the two. And how that affects my attitude towards game, company and spending money on the matter.
The quint essence is:
Knut wrote:Do I really need to own every single piece of equipment (premium excluded) to be regarded as a well paying, good customer who should have access to all game content?
Of course no one forces me to do anything. But I feel it is detrimental for both me and EW that I feel a growing grudge about the need to buy everything to access all content. And I am quite convinced that I am by far not alone and that it is a general concern.

And btw.: no one forces EW to choose this business model and no one forces me to give my opinion about it and no one forces you to give your opinion about mine and so forth. Pointless...
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
R2Detour
Hunter

Post by R2Detour »

I agree with you Knut. I could see missions being type-based instead of being specific weapon based. I.E. "Shoot animal using a bolt action" or "Shoot another animal from a blind, tree stand or tripod"... The model they are using is just cheap excuses to squeeze as much as they can. But why not? They have members advocating that this is a good policy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
plasmaflare
Hunter

Post by plasmaflare »

If it just used certain calibers, regardless of the weapon that used them, it'd likely promote sales. E.G. I like the .308 pistol, wouldn't ever buy the .308 rifle. Or 8/57 anschultz or kar98. Some ppl Just won't ever buy a certain weapon, but would be persuaded to get that caliber in another model.
Daimaju
Scout

Post by Daimaju »

Knut wrote:Oh no, the "you don't have to" e.g. "no one forces you" argument....
(It actually isn't even one in the philosophical sense)

It's not about what I have to, but what I want to, what I am allowed to and how I feel about the discrepancy between the two. And how that affects my attitude towards game, company and spending money on the matter.
The quint essence is:
Knut wrote:Do I really need to own every single piece of equipment (premium excluded) to be regarded as a well paying, good customer who should have access to all game content?
Of course no one forces me to do anything. But I feel it is detrimental for both me and EW that I feel a growing grudge about the need to buy everything to access all content. And I am quite convinced that I am by far not alone and that it is a general concern.

And btw.: no one forces EW to choose this business model and no one forces me to give my opinion about it and no one forces you to give your opinion about mine and so forth. Pointless...
Very well said, I fully agree and also feel disappointed by the course set by EW. I got the feeling a while ago that it isn't about theHunter anymore, but about grinding. Grinding money out of customers.

I'd threw lots of cash at them if I would not get the feeling that they try to "trick" me with these "you have to use rifle X to kill this roe because...uhm...well we... uh...just do it!" missions.
...and if they'd fix year old bugs like sound bugs or off-center iron sights who raise my blood pressure every time I play...

Mission requirements could/should be determined by caliber or better even by the type of weapon (bolt action rifle, shotgun, revolver, bow, ...)
Same goes for stands blinds. Make it A blind/stand, not "use exactly this one!!!".

As a side note. I took a break for several months. Last login was 12/12/13, that was when I had enough of this system and simply stopped. I play again because a buddy gifted me a license for 3 months for recruiting new hunters. I did buy the K98k though, since I dreamed of this rifle in this game since I started playing (2010).
Other than that, I am not too motivated to support this anymore to be honest. And that makes me feel sad actually :/
SPRK85
Outfitter

Post by SPRK85 »

Daimaju wrote:Other than that, I am not too motivated to support this anymore to be honest. And that makes me feel sad actually :/
I can understand the feeling. At first I just played by buying licences for specific animals, gave me the feeling like a had real tags. Eventually I shot myself poor by buying ammo for the recurve... So I became a member. But ever since I started playing this game (01-19-'13) I've seen this game both grow as deteriorate...

I've spend quite a deal of cash and time on the game. But to have the feeling that we are almost forced to spend is kind of... off putting to say the least :|
Rocco
Scout

Post by Rocco »

Knut wrote:I felt the need to word my feeling of urgency growing with every new item introduced that the developers team would be well advised to change the current strategy on mission requirements.

While I am fully aware of the purpose and idea behind the requirements of certain items to fulfil certain missions, and therefore fully understand that a certain amount of items will always be required, I feel that it would not be good to follow the current strategy that every gun and a lot of additional items are at some point needed to complete all missions.
I feel that with the growing item variety and also redundancy this is an issue that on the long run will cause resentment even in faithful believers in the game. Do I really need to own every single piece of equipment (premium excluded) to be regarded as a well paying, good customer who should have access to all game content? Even if I already own a gun (or maybe in the future several) of said calibre?

I feel that with the growing redundancy of items the current policy cannot continue.

I'd therefore suggest to define a set/range of items that are considered essential (maybe 50%-75% percent?) and will be needed at one or the other point, while other items belong into redundancy groups where owning one item of the group in question will be sufficient to access everything.

With the growing variety of items I feel that it is otherwise inevitable that a growing grudge within the player community will arise and fear that will benefit no one on the long run.

Therefore I'd like to ask EW to set up a proper strategy for future items and missions now and probably/if necessary adjust the existing missions accordingly. The earlier the better, I feel.

Had to share this thoughts and felt they belong in this board. But if they're better suiting into the general board, please feel free to move the thread.

Bear in mind that making missions where they ask you have certain item/gun etc is part of their strategy to take money from you, bluntly speaking. They are not interested in diversify the missions for your fun as they make you believe, they want just your money and they will say anything that marketing office advise them to do. In essence the marketing department is a nest of liars, idiot ideas and sometimes (=very rarely) original ideas, no matter the company.

Exanimis wrote:Buying every weapon in the game is a choice and no one has to do it. You want to finish every mission, Why? You get GM's for completing a mission and what do you use them for, one shotgun, scent spray and scent remover. I have all of that and still have tens of thousands of GM's, 25,980 to be exact. No one says you have to complete every mission or that you have to have all the equipment in the game, that is the choice of the individual. Do you really have to have a mission to enjoy hunting in the EHR? I don't feel like I need every mission completed as long as I can buy scent remover, I don't need to join compititions or to even have a goal in mind to enjoy hunting in this game but I am sure no one cares about my opinion and will probably complain about it.

You forgot about one item which worth it all the gms: BAIT :mrgreen:

Return to “Mission & Competition Suggestions”