Competition suggestions

Knut
Outfitter

Re: Competition suggestions

Post by Knut »

A beginners comp could indeed be nice. Although loosing continuously against the few really successful players will continue do be disheartening afterwards... ;)

However, on the missions regarding equipment, I disagree. The vast majority of missions requires equipment, that's comprised in the trailrunner membership bundle. Plus, there are enough comps with a free choice of weapon.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
ReadThoreau
Outfitter

Post by ReadThoreau »

Knut wrote:However, on the missions regarding equipment, I disagree. The vast majority of missions requires equipment, that's comprised in the trailrunner membership bundle. Plus, there are enough comps with a free choice of weapon.
Here I have to disagree. First, not all equipment you need for this missions is in the trailrunner so you need to buy aditional equipment in any case. Second, not everybody buys the trailrunner so you are forced to buy additional equipment to can take part on the missions as an important part of the game. Third, there is also no way around this equipment focussed missions because the other missions are locked till you have bought the equipment and finished the mission with it.

This is a type of hided coupled business. In my opinion this is not a proper business and it also looks not very professional because the new player is not informed about this additional costs before making a membership. Such a handling can only led to a lost of confidence because people can feel deceived.

So I see only the possibilitys to inform the new player before buying a membership that there can arise additional cost for the full access on all missions and specific competitions (and what else is coupled with additional costs) and it should be possible to overjump this equipment focussed missions if someone is not willing to buy additional equipment to get access to the other missions. It only needs a sidenote in the membership offers and a bit programming to overjump equipment missions!
brb27dor

Post by brb27dor »

OK, this is probably in here somewhare. I did not read all 312 posts prior to this one, but I was thinking it might be fun to have a Maine Deer hunt competition. You have 6 hunts during your 1 week of vacation in November to bag a whitetail. You can't hunt on Sunday, so that is why only 6 hunts. You can only bag 1 buck. Highest scoring buck wins. A challenge, because the first buck you bag is it. Oh, and if you shoot a doe, it is assumed you have an antlerless deer permit, and that counts as your deer. Whitetails only. Knock yourself out on pheasant, mulies (we don't have those in Maine), Moose (actually done by lottery and you only get one of those as well), coyotes (vermin, shoot away). :)

Another variation would be the bow hunter's special. I seem to recall one season here that you could bag 2 deer with a bow in the special "metropolitain" zones. Well, we really don't have "metropolitan" areas in maine, but there are certain areas around some cities that are designated as bow hunting only. You can take 2 deer, because they are basically so think they have become a nuisance in the area. You could also take another deer in the regular archery season, and yet another deer in the regular rifle season or muzzleloader season. It was theoretically possible to take 4 deer that year. It might be fun to mimic that by setting up the scenario such that during bow season (October in Maine), you have 5 days. You don't want to use all your vacation time in bow season, So you go to camp Tuesday night, hunt Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, and Columbus Day (monday Holiday) and head home after Monday's hunt, bone tired. I personally have done this many times, and don't regret a moment of it. You can harvest 3 deer with a bow (no X-bows. illegal in Maine - unless they changed the law recently and I didn't hear about it). You then have 4 more hunts (you are burning up all of your hard-earned vacation time here) during rifle season to bag 1 deer. You Go to camp Friday night, Hunt Saturday, off Sunday, Monday is Veteran's day, Tuesday and Wednesday, and head home after Wednesday's hunt, again, bone tired, but happy as a pig in mud. You have used 5 vacation days, 2 holidays, and 2 saturdays, and have gotten 4 nice fat bucks in 9 hunting days. Oh, and everything you shoot counts. Also, in bow season, you can shoot bucks or does, but rifle season, bucks only unless you have an antlerless deer permit. I think it would be more fun to just go with a buck.

The other thing about the scoring is that in Maine, we care more about the meat in the animal than the horns on its head. Total weight should count, not B&C scoring. Hey, what can I say, it's Maine. :)
p-medved

Post by p-medved »

A possible solutions to the same person winning all the competitions, would be to limit the amount of metals that can be won in a certain time period; for example: if you win a gold metal, you cannot win another for possibly 3 months or whatever. same would apply for silver and bronze. I do think the manipulation of this game to win metals is not ethical, and I know methods can be put in place to ensure fairness!!
Hugo1

Post by Hugo1 »

I suggest at first to create real trophies (to change old medals) Before the new competitions!!
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

Hugo1 wrote:I suggest at first to create real trophies (to change old medals) Before the new competitions!!

there was a one time.....things get changed over time....
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I just don't understand why EW is still giving us these darn MEDALS instead of Nice TROPHYS (like we used to get) for placing in the top 3 in many of the Comps in this game??? EW Agreed that these Medals should be replaced with some really Nice Trophys, but this has still not occured! WHY??? I thought these Medals were "OUT OF HERE" as Bjorn or one of the Developers said! EW even had a Trophy Contest for this and many hunters submitted really Nice and Beautiful Trophies, but apparently NONE of them were good enough or up to EW's Standards. All I want to know is why isn't this being done and what's the holdup?

Many of us (especially the oldtimers like myself) need an INCENTIVE nowdays to play this game such as Achievements, Missions, and competing in the various Comps. I have now completed most of the Missions and Achievements in the game and would sure like to sign up and Compete in some Comps again, but NOT when all we get are these darn Medals!!!

Sorry to be negative about the game, but this is very frustrating to me and want to PLAY the Game like I used to again.

Wetland
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I would also support if they at least used the nice trophies that they already have.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

Don't the Developers ever Read and RESPOND to our Suggested Comments in this thread??? Seems that they just respond to the things they want to and ignore the ones they don't.

Wetland
andyacegt
Scout

Post by andyacegt »

I think it'd be great if the "Fight or flight" competition was extended to all the dangerous game (moose, black bear, and feral hog) in addition to the wild boar. I find hunting dangerous game at close range very tense and exciting :D. I think it'd make for a great test of skill (and virtual nerve :P)

Return to “Mission & Competition Suggestions”