Mission Descriptions Need Editing And Clean Up

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Mission Descriptions Need Editing And Clean Up

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

This is a suggestion for the regular missions to be edited and to clean up the wording.

Understand, the ordering of the words in the mission descriptors is important for clarity of understanding for the reader. No, it's not the most important part of the game that needs work. However the descriptions of the regular missions are pretty atrocious at times as they currently are. Here's one of many examples:

"Thinning Out The Population: Moose & Bear:
Now we only have the big game left to focus on. In the long run, this will help the reserve to thrive.
Objectives:

Start at Trapper's Rest Lodge in Redfeather Falls.
Then arrive at The Crater (x -11265, y -4000) in the same hunt.
Then arrive at The Lonely Creek (x -10746, y -5436) in the same hunt.
Then arrive at Peak Forest (x -12263, y -6367) in the same hunt.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest a Black Bear killed with any 7mm Break Action Rifle.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest a Moose.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest a second Moose.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest a third Moose.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest a second Black Bear killed with any 7mm Break Action Rifle."

Here, like so many missions, the objectives are redundant in how they're worded. What's wrong with putting it like this?:
"At any point during the same hunt, harvest (2) Black Bear killed with any 7mm Break Action Rifle.
At any point during the same hunt, harvest (3) Moose"

Well, I suppose you might say that the number of animals needed for the mission are listed out one-at-a-time to check off as you go. How then can mission descriptions be less redundant? If it needs to be that the number of animals required to harvest is listed out one-by-one so each can be checked off, clearly the way these items are listed and how they're worded could be much better. What do I mean by that? It seems to be too common that when I read so many of the missions my brain is forced to do mental gymnastics to understand the mission because of the bad way these missions are worded. How so?

For one thing, the ordering of the wording of the mission requirements in how the sentences are constructed. As it is, many of the mission objectives are inconsistent in their wording and often in a bad way. For example, sometimes it's telling you to do: X-Y-Z with (X-Weapon). Other times it's telling you to do: X-Y (with X-Weapon)-z.

Understand, order of the wording is important from a literary perspective and to the reader. To illustrate this point, what sounds better, "My dog with brown fur I walked today" or, "Today I walked my brown dog"? This is like what I see happening a lot in how the regular missions are worded, and it's often worded badly. Like the example above, it hurts my brain to read it and understand all of what the mission is asking, because of the poor ordering of the mission items.

See how in the example above, it's not clear that you need to harvest (2) Black Bear until you read through to the end. You're given "Bear" once, then "Moose", and then "another Bear". Ouch! The mental strain to understand that! Personally, I have a paper journal I use to plan my hunts and missions in this game. Sometimes it's a strain to write out everything I need to complete in a mission because half the battle is understanding what I'm reading, because of the poor wording. As mentioned, when sentences are constructed better it's easier on the reader to understand with less mental strain.

Would it not be easier to understand if the missions read something more like this, "Harvest X number of Bear, X number of Deer, With X-Weapon"?

I'd like missions to read more consistent like, "Mission Do: X-Y-Z (with X-Weapon)" or, "Mission Do: X-Y-Z (with X-Weapon) in the same hunt", having the 'required weapon' always come last in the description, or 2nd to last before "in the same hunt". Also, I'd like the mission descriptions to be a lot less redundant wherever possible.

That's a suggestion! :)
ogruls
Outfitter

Re: Mission Descriptions Need Editing And Clean Up

Post by ogruls »

OCD
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

The thought of thinning out animals at RFF shouldn't even be on their minds. Mission or not. They nerfed the deer and elk on RFF. They going after the bear and moose too?

I love to hunt RFF but it's so low on animals that I want to hunt, I completely ignore the map. TGT is becoming as bad.

Going for long hikes without seeing any animals is way more boring in game than real hunting could ever be.

Cmon, Devs. Do your job. Bring the animal count back up and don't say it's the same as it always was. We aren't buying it and we aren't stupid.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Current tasks are much more helpful while you work on a mission. You can see immediately whether your harvest completes the task, or something was wrong and you need to look for another one. If however you only get notified once you complete entire group of tasks, this would cause serious confusions.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)

Return to “Mission & Competition Suggestions”