Northern pintail caller doesn't work - please fix it!

Brutus969
Scout

Northern pintail caller doesn't work - please fix it!

Post by Brutus969 »

All in the title.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Northern pintail caller doesn't work - fix it!

Post by HooCairs »

The right approach would be to do a proper bug report.
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewforum.php?f=179

Especially since the caller has been working in the past.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Re: Northern pintail caller doesn't work - please fix it!

Post by Dubitabilus »

Are you releasing the RMB after the "whistle" ends, or holding the RMB until the animation brings the caller back down?

The Pintail caller's "whistle" is ridiculously short, but the "calling animation" is still going.
Holding the caller up until the end of the animation give the proper effect.

I think it's more of a sound bug since the sounds end before the attraction effect happens
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Dubitabilus wrote:I think it's more of a sound bug since the sounds end before the attraction effect happens
Is there any evidence of this out there? I too am not fully convinced the pintail caller works flawlessly, but I'm not sure if the issue is the caller, the decoys or the ducks themselves.

As for callers in general, I never, ever, let any of them finish making their sound. Most I only even give the shortest possible note on even though it's unrealistic and I've never seen an animal not come to it anyway. This is the first time I've ever seen this claim made and while I guarantee it does not apply to every caller, I can't help but wonder if it does for this caller in particular.
Dubitabilus
Hunter

Post by Dubitabilus »

I can only provide the subjective evidence of my own experiences with the caller when doing SP hunts on my setup.

I only have about (23/24) attraction for Northern Pintails from decoys, but I've noticed more NP breaking from the flocks after the whistling ends, but before the animation ends.

Then again, attraction from callers in general seem to have delayed effects so I could just be seeing the effects from the previous call.

Subjectively, I find that holding the caller up even after the whistle ends gave me more success making Pintails break formation.

Objectively, the caller's performance is a bit wonky overall
Semper vigilans, Numquam dubitabilis - "Always Vigilant, Never Doubtful"
https://www.boone-crockett.org/minimum- ... n-big-game
Spoiler:

Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

Dubitabilus wrote:Subjectively, I find that holding the caller up even after the whistle ends gave me more success making Pintails break formation.
Hmm. I'll try this at some point. It doesn't seem to make sense though that out of all the waterfowl callers only this one behaves in this strange way. But then this game isn't known for consistency...

For the other waterfowl callers, my impression is that minimising call length so I maximise call frequency is most effective. More short squeaks vs less long calls. The idea being that each call is an opportunity to break.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

xOEDragonx wrote:
Dubitabilus wrote:I think it's more of a sound bug since the sounds end before the attraction effect happens
Is there any evidence of this out there? I too am not fully convinced the pintail caller works flawlessly, but I'm not sure if the issue is the caller, the decoys or the ducks themselves.

As for callers in general, I never, ever, let any of them finish making their sound. Most I only even give the shortest possible note on even though it's unrealistic and I've never seen an animal not come to it anyway. This is the first time I've ever seen this claim made and while I guarantee it does not apply to every caller, I can't help but wonder if it does for this caller in particular.
I do the same. In fact, many callers I release the mouse button BEFORE it makes any sound, including the Pintail caller & in my experience I do see more breaks with the caller than with decoys alone. I'm pretty sure the attraction effect occurs as soon as you hit the mouse. The animal's reaction is however, delayed, so I expect that is what the OP may be experiencing.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”