Bear Caller

Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Re: Bear Caller

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

Based on what I've seen on Meat Eater, callers might have their place. We have two species that don't react to bait, those being Grizzly and Polar Bears, so maybe have the bear caller only work pn those two, maybe even only the grizzly.

Also, in my opinion elk carcasses should attract Grizzly bears as well.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Grizzlies make enough noise on their own to make them an easy hunt. They don't call but sure growl a lot. I haven't really hunted for them but usually just kill one when it attacks me. I may hunt them someday and give elk hunting a rest.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
EthanRanft
Tracker

Post by EthanRanft »

Grizzlies and Polar Bears do actually call. Which gives them an advantage over the “bait-able” Black and Brown Bears
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, hang on a minute. I do understand bears. This is my take.

Black bears do communicate with grunts, huffing, blowing, and chomping their teeth. They also moan and bawl when in pain.

Grizzly's grunt. When you hear a grizzly growl like in the game it's for us and is warning us. An attack comes next.

My point is grizz can be hunted in game by their growling. It's loud and not far away. Just sneak in towards the growling and you'll find the bear. No bait is needed.

I don't know how the black bears act in game. I only hunt on Timbergold.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

Black or brown bears don't have an audible call that is detected by the Huntermate. If it smells you it may give few grunts and then usually flee. When aggressive, they give the roar, as with any other bear species.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

I don't know much about bears in real life other than some self-safety practices to detect them and keep them away while hiking or camping in nature. In the game, as I've mentioned, once we figure out where they roam they're not that difficult to find and harvest. I have found that I have to be more conscious of my stealth and all of those things when hunting bear but the same techniques we use for every other animal in the game can be applied for them.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Why not give us a caller for the bears. We can double attract deer with callers and scent but if you think callers and bait are too much for bears make the caller inoperable when bait is being used. Vehicles are prohibited and cant be used in comps, the same can be done with a caller if bait is being used. This would allow those who want to use bait to use it and those who want callers to use them, those who feel neither is appropriate can hunt without. Then we could have three tier bear comps. Baited called or unaided.
Come to think of it they could do the same with pigs as well.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Plus, for those trying to keep it real. Baiting isn't allowed in the majority of states. I can only answer for my state and no baiting here. Everybody calls for bears here. Some spot and stalk but the callers get most of the bears.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

There's just too much bears around for callers to introduce. Way too much. If we introduce callers now, we could see as much as 7+ bears going to it at once in some places (RFF, WRR, Val des bois) . That's not exagerration. So if we do that, we also would need to cut amount of bears drastically. In some reserves by 10 times or more in order to not make it completely ridiculous. I frankly don't think it's worth it.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

How many bears do you get at bait barrels? I would like an even chance competing against those who bait. I'd prefer hunting for black bear like we have to hunt for grizzlies. No caller or bait. If we only have one way i'd like callers but that's just me. In real life I don't use callers for any hunting but I love to torture myself. Trying to sneak up on a bear you don't call or is at bait is the hardest hunting I can do. Realy rewarding though.

I can only speak for RFF but I agree there's too many bears on it. Kind of a pain for those who don't hunt for bears.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”