Bear Caller

EthanRanft
Tracker

Re: Bear Caller

Post by EthanRanft »

All the talk about being fair to the animal, giving it a fair chance, just makes it more of a sport than what hunting should be (in my opinion): acquiring food for your family. As long as you aren’t slaughtering loads of animals and you’re only killing what you can eat, within the laws of your location, why not be as efficient as possible?

Is hunting with a gun easier than a bow? Definitely. But it’s also typically the fastest way to kill an animal where he suffers the least. So when you hunt IRL with a bow, are you hunting for sport, or to put food on the table?

Is baiting easier than stalking an animal? Of course. But it’s also efficient, and allows you the opportunity to see several and to kill the best animal for the situation. As opposed to stalking just a few animals that season and feeling forced to choose one less than favorable.

How do you think most of the chicken or beef or pork you eat is killed? Why don’t those animals “deserve a fair chance”?

I mean no disrespect, because I know there’s plenty of people that disagree, but I’m just offering my opinion: too many people view hunting as a sport and not to provide food
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

EthanRanft wrote:All the talk about being fair to the animal, giving it a fair chance, just makes it more of a sport than what hunting should be (in my opinion): acquiring food for your family. As long as you aren’t slaughtering loads of animals and you’re only killing what you can eat, within the laws of your location, why not be as efficient as possible?

Is hunting with a gun easier than a bow? Definitely. But it’s also typically the fastest way to kill an animal where he suffers the least. So when you hunt IRL with a bow, are you hunting for sport, or to put food on the table?

Is baiting easier than stalking an animal? Of course. But it’s also efficient, and allows you the opportunity to see several and to kill the best animal for the situation. As opposed to stalking just a few animals that season and feeling forced to choose one less than favorable.

How do you think most of the chicken or beef or pork you eat is killed? Why don’t those animals “deserve a fair chance”?

I mean no disrespect, because I know there’s plenty of people that disagree, but I’m just offering my opinion: too many people view hunting as a sport and not to provide food
It's both a sport and a source of food. Speaking only for the U.S., the fact of the matter is that most people don't need game for food, but they do usually eat what they harvest, give it to friends and family, or donate it to charity. But regardless of the food value, in many states the deer population is so high that the annual harvest needs to occur to control the population. Whether the goal of an individual hunter is sport, food, or a bit of both, it still needs to happen.
Personal Bests...
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

I agree, EthanRanft. To each their own, I don't knock it or people that do it but I'm personally not fond of what hunting has become compared to what it was a few centuries ago, the original reason for it. At least it's not completely gone and people still do it. I would never take as many animals in real life as I do in the game. If I hunted in real life and took the amount of animals I take in each session I play this game I might only have to hunt once every other 2 or 3 years.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

EthanRanft wrote:All the talk about being fair to the animal, giving it a fair chance, just makes it more of a sport than what hunting should be (in my opinion): acquiring food for your family. As long as you aren’t slaughtering loads of animals and you’re only killing what you can eat, within the laws of your location, why not be as efficient as possible?

Fair chase and humane shots doesn't make it a sport. It makes it fair and ethical. Hunting for numbers and trophy's are sport. Huge difference. If you don't see the difference than you have a sport mentality like the majority of hunters. I still bring home the meat but I do it my way and can look myself in the mirror with no guilt.

I don't care what you or others do. I only answer to myself. You should do the same.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

"When I'm out in the woods, I'm not playing a game... I'm grocery shopping!!" ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
EthanRanft
Tracker

Post by EthanRanft »

Lol I knew I would strike a nerve
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm full of nerve. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

Regardless of what's legal in real life bears aren't too difficult to hunt in the game once we figure out the area's they're in and how to get close to them which is the same, minus a caller, as every other animal in the game. A lot of realism was removed from the game when the business model changed. It is possible to hunt in this game without bait and without calling. If your preferences don't agree with those challenge aspects placing and using bait sites is a solution.

I would prefer more realism added.
- True 3d directional sound. (less reliance on the HunterMate)
- Seasons. A campaign mode so we could manage herds, plant wheat and other crops as attractants, pre-rut, rut, post-rut and weather seasons (true spring, summer, fall, and winter on all maps). Hello realism! :)
- True to life animal behavior: predator cats and bears climb and can be found in trees. Bear hibernation practices. Daily deer and other game animal routines. They all have a routine in real life that's part of being successful hunting them figuring their system and routines out.
- Spotting and tracking sessions to gather info from. This is in the game to a degree. IMO it could use some improvement like finding clues other than tracks and droppings. Scrapes don't exist in the game at all (I've never found one) as an example and paths animals create by frequently following the same path to where they're going.

I'm surprised I haven't found some of these things suggested before.

I agree a caller for bear would make the game more arcade than it's already become.

There's an array of info online shared by community members. Information about where and how to hunt every species in the game. When we're having difficulty with something we can look it up and almost always find a video on youtube about it that sometimes, in my opinion, gives too much info, spoils the challenge. We can refer to online sources of info if we lose patience with figuring it out on our own.

There's nothing wrong with making a suggestion or request. I don't agree with this one.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Probably, because they'll never happen. So, why ask for them?

Better to develop a new game than do all that to this one. Then you could add graphics too.

Keep in mind if it's too realistic it will only appeal to real hunters. Everyone else will be bored and not play anymore. That will spread around and sales will go in the dumper.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

The devs do add things now and then, mainly to the store to produce sales and encourage people buying em$ packs, from community suggestions and requests and they do correct bugs. The team assigned to this game is only a handful of people (if that I don't know how many there are for sure but it's been said it's a very small team of few people) and there are a ton of issues and whoopsies they're tasked with correcting. Those handful of people are also assigned to tasks for other games Avalanche released and is under development.
They have several roles within the company they're trying to get filled:
https://avalanchestudios.com/careers

The thing I appreciate about this developer is they don't come off greedy blasting the community with DLC we have to pay for. EW/Avalance is generous. At least they are with this game.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”