Community Manager

Re: Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer, Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep lure

Post by TreeKiwi »

I think I covered it in less words BnB :) :lol:
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

BucksNBuffalo wrote: I know IRL hunting over bait and using decoys for deer is well-practiced and an effective method. I've used them myself in hunting Whitetails here in NY.
You mean just decoys, right Chuck?.....Since hunting near bait is illegal in NY. 8-)

There are very few places in the U.S. where hunting deer over bait is legal. Using a decoy is legal in about 1/2 of the country, but is not a common practice. Sure, some people do it, but not many. Having hunted deer in half a dozen states over the years, I've personally never seen anyone hunting with a decoy.

Now what I have seen, is videos of the DNR/Fish & Wildlife Depts, using decoys to fool poachers into shooting from their car or truck at what they think is a buck near a road. All caught on camera, and off to jail they go.
Personal Bests...
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Here in MI it is (unfortunately) legal to bait. Once gun season starts, I can't even describe the amount of bait that gets put out. Every gas station around will have piles of sugar beets and crates full of carrots and apples delivered on Friday and it will all be gone by Sunday. No one here knows how to hunt anymore, they only know how to dump food in the woods and wait for a deer to come through. They recently found some deer with CWD so I'm hoping this will lead to a ban on baiting.

Anyways, rant aside, I don't think that decoys are needed. If deer were difficult to hunt in the game, then maybe, but right now they are already way to easy to hunt. As far as mineral feeders for sheep, it doesn't make any sense to me. Nobody hunts sheep over bait. Maybe a natural salt lick somewhere, but sheep hunting is mainly a spot and stalk type of hunt.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here in MI it is (unfortunately) legal to bait.
Not all of MI, though.....right?
Personal Bests...
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Yes John, only with decoys. Some people like to skirt around the baiting law tho, I myself obviously am not one of them
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Fletchette wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Here in MI it is (unfortunately) legal to bait.
Not all of MI, though.....right?
Right. There are a few units down south, as well as any county where they have found a deer with CWD that baiting isn't allowed. Here we are limited to 2 gallons, but there are lots of guys who carry "extra large" 2 gallon buckets.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

BucksNBuffalo wrote: Fletchette, would you be so kind as to let us the same?
It's a simulation of a simulation...Or maybe it's a simulation of a game? :?

As to realism compared to IRL hunting....It depends. As you pointed out, the effectiveness and predictability of calling the large game (deer, etc), is far from reality. And obviously the tracking system has no basis in reality. And for the most part, the animal density is higher than reality.

That said, there are aspects of the game that come close hunting IRL. For Example:

With the exception of the open-topped blinds, waterfowl hunting is pretty realistic. I'd give it an A-.

Small game hunting, like rabbits, isn't bad. Particularly shotgun hunting for cottontails, snowshoe. I'd give it a B+.

Turkey hunting isn't terrible, except it's usually done from the ground, leaning against a tree, rather than in stands or towers. I'd give it a B.

Pheasant hunting is not bad, although you can see them on the ground easier in the game than IRL for most places. So I'd give it a B+.

Pig and bear baiting isn't bad, so probably a B+ or realism. (Setting the number of bears aside of course).

Now for the large game, like deer, if you didn't use callers, then setting up in a tree stand or blind and just waiting for a deer to walk within range is pretty realist. Of course IRL we usually setup on known trails, feeding, or bedding areas, but because of the animal density in the game if you wait, an animal will eventually wander within range. So for stand or still hunting, without using callers, I'd give it a B-.

Now out West, (Central Montana), I hunt for Mule Deer, Elk, and Antelope by glassing and stalking. So again if you skip the tracking and callers, then glassing and stalking deer and elk isn't too far outside the norm for IRL. In fact sometimes the in-game animals are better at spotting you from a distance than they are IRL, while at the same time getting really close to them is far easier than IRL.

As far as the AI....Well, it depends. IRL animals can be really dumb too. I've had deer walk around under my stand for 20 minutes will I chain-smoked, and they never knew I was there until I yelled at them to MOVE !!! I've walked right into them on my way to a stand, and they freeze staring at me for minutes, just waiting for me to move again. As long as I don't move again, they don't move, at least not right away. They just can't figure out what you are. I've gotten into staring contest with them from stands too. They stand there tilting their head and trying to figure out what you are. In the game, they usually flee after a few seconds.

And of course gun shots spook the animals in the game far more than they usually do IRL. In the game, every animal within render runs for 200m after a shot, even if they were already 200m away. This usually doesn't happen IRL. IRL, I've shot a deer that was 40 away, and if it dropped, the other's near it didn't run. They just lift their heads, look around nervously, and eventually walk away. I've been in a stand with deer under me, when someone shot from a few hundred meters away, but the deer I can see don't just take off running. They just go on alert and look around, because they don't know what they heard, or where the sound came from.

So for these species, if you didn't use callers and tracking, I'd say the "simulation" factor is OK. Maybe a B overall. But of course most of us do use the callers and tracking, BECAUSE IT'S A GAME, and they reduce the simulator score to probably a D.
Personal Bests...
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I took a trip around Lake Michigan a year or so ago, and in the UP there were piles of sugar beets at the entrance to the RV Park we were in. Like someone said, gone the next day.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

stancomputerhunter wrote:I took a trip around Lake Michigan a year or so ago, and in the UP there were piles of sugar beets at the entrance to the RV Park we were in. Like someone said, gone the next day.
Yeah, someone can make a killing selling sugar beets during deer season around here. To bad we don't have the soil for it :lol:

denver
Spotter

Post by denver »

Thx for all your replies guys. Thx for giving me the episodes to watch again Hoocairs. I only suggested deer decoys, i agree with what all you guys think. Just suggested them because i saw them on another hunting game ;) . I personally think that bighorn need feeders or locator callers/callers, unless you know where all the good spots are. Same with Dall sheep, but again what TreeKiwi said is true how a feeder would be covered or frozen in 24 hours.
Thx again for all your opinions. :D

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”