Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer, Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep lure

denver
Spotter

Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer, Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep lure

Post by denver »

Feral Goat have a mineral feeder, and Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep are very similar to the feral goat especially the Ibex. I was thinking that why can't the mineral feeder be used on them as well. It would also mean that the mineral feeder would be able to be placed in more maps and have effect on an animal. At the moment it is only affective on feral goat at BRR. Anyone who rarely hunts in that map will not buy the feeder at the moment. But if it was able to attract Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep i am sure more people would buy it, i know i would.

Last but not least i think this game could do with a Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer decoy. After all, Hunting Unlimited 2010 has one, if any of yous have played you probably have seen it. They could make it so you only need 2 for max attraction and we could place them on any map that has Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer on it. It could improve attraction of caller and increases the chance of a deer being at that spot when you arrive.
Please give me your opinion, don't be afraid to speak up.
Don't harsh, after all it is only a suggestion.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Whitetail/Mule/Black-tail deer, Ibex, Bighorn sheep and Dall sheep lure

Post by Fletchette »

No please...
Personal Bests...
denver
Spotter

Post by denver »

Why not ? Please give me your whole opinion. I think we need feeder for ibex and the Bighorn/Dall sheep. I wasn't quite sure about the deer though, didn't know if it would make it to easy. just saw a deer decoy and a pronghorn decoy in Hunting Unlimited 2010, so thought it could be a good addition to thehunter.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

denver wrote:Why not ? Please give me your whole opinion. I think we need feeder for ibex and the Bighorn/Dall sheep. I wasn't quite sure about the deer though, didn't know if it would make it to easy. just saw a deer decoy and a pronghorn decoy in Hunting Unlimited 2010, so thought it could be a good addition to thehunter.
Hey Denver how are you mate??

Always full of ideas, I have seen you post several times now. Good to have another thinker to add to the community!

So first off,

I think potentially the feeder could actually work with BH sheep, but not Ibex or Dall sheep. Manly because for ibex it's not used in real life (according to my Swiss friend) and not for Dall sheep as if you placed a feeder outside on WRR a salt block would be frozen solid or covered in snow in less than 24hours.

Now BH sheep could and would use a Salt lick... but they are one of the only animals in the game that requires a unique hunting style and once you get this style sorted they are very easy :)

So having a Salt lick for them would take the fun and challenge out of them instantly sadly.

If you need some help with BH sheep hunting once I get my connection sorted I could take you out to show you how I hunt them. Alternatively HooCairs has just released a video which pretty much uses the same way I have always used to hunt them. You can find it on YouTube or if he's reading this he might be nice enough to provide a link!

Deer decoys, this has been suggested a few times now. If you run a search you will find the previous topics :)

But my thoughts on the matter... Do you find deer hard to hunt? Because their behavior in the game is actually easy to predict and again you can watch one of HooCairs videos or I'm happy to take you out to show you how I do it. So like the Salt lick, deer decoys would spoil the game a little I think. If deer decoys were to be used I think they would be the same as turkey or predator decoys where the animals have to visually see them before they will go to investigate them :)

Happy hunting!

TK
denver
Spotter

Post by denver »

I am am great TreeKiwi. Thx for your opinion and i would love to hunt with you sometime my hunter name is Denva03. About the deer, i have seen that a deer lure has been mentioned many times i thought i had a different twist to it. i thought i was the first to suggest a deer decoy, but maybe i was wrong. I don't find deer hard to hunt they are quite easy to hunt, but it might help beginners. It would also increase the chance of having deer already by the tower, blind, stand or where ever you placed the decoy by the time you arrive. I find bear and turkeys pretty easy to hunt yet we still have decoys/feeders for them.
Thanks
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Great! You can add me if you like. Same name as in here!

Yeah the thing with Turkeys and Coyotes is that they have great eye site and will even spot you in the tree stand. So a distraction is needed! If new people have decoys to help them they won't learn how to hunt deer properly and probably just rely on the decoy :)

Cheers
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

TreeKiwi wrote:Alternatively HooCairs has just released a video which pretty much uses the same way I have always used to hunt them. You can find it on YouTube or if he's reading this he might be nice enough to provide a link!
Bighorn
TreeKiwi wrote:and again you can watch one of HooCairs videos or I'm happy to take you out to show you how I do it.
WT 1, WT 2, BT 1, BT 2
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

big horn just put a tent on railway bridge included location yesterdays video. should have them in minutes same for dall sheep location.no feeder needed.

http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=83321

any other animals just ask ill give ya tent details you get animals . co ords for the tent locations in the video are in the description. ;)

blacktail go tower 6 whitehart.you can just sit there get maybe 10 just bowing them on whitehart.

whitetail easiest location is redfeather falls 1st tower from trappers rest lodge.always 4 or 5 around it.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

denver wrote:I am am great TreeKiwi. Thx for your opinion and i would love to hunt with you sometime my hunter name is Denva03. About the deer, i have seen that a deer lure has been mentioned many times i thought i had a different twist to it. i thought i was the first to suggest a deer decoy, but maybe i was wrong. I don't find deer hard to hunt they are quite easy to hunt, but it might help beginners. It would also increase the chance of having deer already by the tower, blind, stand or where ever you placed the decoy by the time you arrive. I find bear and turkeys pretty easy to hunt yet we still have decoys/feeders for them.
Thanks
Here's the first deer decoy thread, dated November 2008. deer decoy

Deer baits have been suggested and discussed as well for just as long, and has never been a popular suggestion among the community. To find these discussions, you should have a Search window at the top right of your screen. Hitting the gear icon next to it will take you to an advanced function if you need it.

We have feeders for black/brown bears, but we don't have callers for them, and they are less aggressive & more spooky than the grizzly & polar bears. We have decoys for turkeys, but turkeys have far better eyesight than other animals. Try taking a turkey from the ground with a bow around 20m without decoys. Most of the time, they'll spot you as soon as you move from prone to crouch and be gone before you can get drawn. The decoys distract the turkeys so that you can get your shot off. With deer, we have calls that will bring them in 100% of the time (unless they fall asleep or get stuck on terrain) and when they do get in range, there is no issue getting up to draw, with exceptions of some of the bigger trophies that might spook a little easier, but that is part of their challenge. There is also an overwhelming response from the community over the years that they do not want the deer species to become part of a spawn-mashing rotation.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Spot on, Hawkeye. The deer species, and that also includes both Elk species, Moose, Red Deer, and Roe Deer, all of which can be lured with the exact same methods and some with the same callers (rightfully so). It's easy: walk, get call, respond, find ambush spot, wait for deer species to walk to the spot you called from, kill. Rinse wash repeat. There is absolutely NO need for feeders or salt licks or decoys for them, anything else to attract them. I know IRL hunting over bait and using decoys for deer is well-practiced and an effective method. I've used them myself in hunting Whitetails here in NY. However, RL deer are FAR more wary than the ones in this game. FAAAARRR more. I cannot believe I have to keep saying this, but this game is NOT a simulator. Much more liberties are taken in this game for the sake of actual gameplay, which is perfectly fine. If this game was a real simulator, you can believe it wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good as it is now lol. But bottom line is they do not need to be any easier than they already are. I can certainly understand people's position here as far as immersion goes, but if you think about it, what would be the point of the game if everything in it can be lured to bait or decoys? Sounds more like laziness to me, honestly. People just want everything to come to them with minimal effort. That's really what it boils down to. Just bein honest.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”