Mineral licks/ Food plots deer species

DonderDeer
Outfitter

Re: Mineral licks/ Food plots deer species

Post by DonderDeer »

We can agree to disagree on the matter. I don't think comps should be pay to win - I'd rather the current bear and pig comps be revised.
homk
Margarita888
Spotter

Post by Margarita888 »

Exanimis wrote:luck and skill has little to do when you are shooting fish in a barrel, I mean hogs and bears at a barrel. The comps for bear and hogs are for whoever has the most money to spend on bait. Anyone who chooses not to use bait is wasting their time entering hog or bear comps. I am simply suggesting that they make all comps equal by eliminating anyone who doesn't want to spend the max on bait just like they have already done in the bear and hog comps.
An other solution, instead of messing with people who doesn't want to shoot fish in a barell: ban using baiting sites from competitions.

Or better, have competitions that allow baiting and ones that doesn't.
Spoiler:
Margarita, EHR hunter since 2012.
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

Margarita888 wrote:
Exanimis wrote:luck and skill has little to do when you are shooting fish in a barrel, I mean hogs and bears at a barrel. The comps for bear and hogs are for whoever has the most money to spend on bait. Anyone who chooses not to use bait is wasting their time entering hog or bear comps. I am simply suggesting that they make all comps equal by eliminating anyone who doesn't want to spend the max on bait just like they have already done in the bear and hog comps.
An other solution, instead of messing with people who doesn't want to shoot fish in a barell: ban using baiting sites from competitions.

Or better, have competitions that allow baiting and ones that doesn't.
As is this wouldn't work. For instance with bears, you can just spook it away from the bait site, wait a bit, then kill it, your bait site attractiveness does not decrease because the bear is no longer considered attracted.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

just give us different types of baits to put in our feeder, c'mon what makes hogs/boars better than deer, give the deer their food.... and lead
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I think bait for cervids could be implemented in a way that keeps the game challenging if they did it in a realistic way.

First, the call system would need to be overhauled.
Deer species are very quiet animals. In reality they do not call nearly as often as they do in-game. Reduce the frequency of animal calls.
Using a caller to attract deer species can be effective, but also not nearly as successful as portrayed in-game. Reduce the chance of a deer becoming attracted, and once attracted they should be attracted to a general area, not a specific spot. Maybe a 50m circle around where the call was used. They could even add the AI to make the deer circle around the call and approach it from down-wind, increasing the chance of the deer smelling the hunter before it gets in range.

Then the bait, either feeders (movable), or food-plots (permanent) implemented such that you should not expect to start a game, walk to the bait & expect to see a herd feeding every time.
Rather than spawn additional animals in the area so they all arrive at the bait within a short amount of time, they could base an attraction radius on the attraction value that maxes out at a very large (~ 500m-1000m, for example). But only a % of animals in the attraction radius would be attracted. And those that are attracted would roam at normal speed so they arrive at the bait in intervals. They could go as far as having "feeding times" that occur several times per day, but not at the same times every day.

Balancing the system so that the average success rate of hunting over bait is equal, or only slightly better than tracking & stalking.

This would keep the game fair for competitions, allow hunters to use their favorite hunting style, create more variety in the game, and add marketable items to game to increase revenue.
And hopefully make the game a little bit more realistic.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Sevont

Post by Sevont »

I think a mineral lick that works as a decoy like the turkey decoys would be better than a bait site. Just something to get them away from the tree stand and into the sweet spot for the shot.
pirahna590
Hunter

Post by pirahna590 »

Would love to see managed food plots in-game. Buy seed, find a good seeding location, plant and as food plots are intended to do, your bucks will have slightly larger/improved racks. BUT, I think this would add too the pay to win aspect of competitions.
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

I came to this topic to just simply say "No."

But...
Tod1d wrote:I think bait for cervids could be implemented in a way that keeps the game challenging if they did it in a realistic way.

First, the call system would need to be overhauled.
Deer species are very quiet animals. In reality they do not call nearly as often as they do in-game. Reduce the frequency of animal calls.
Using a caller to attract deer species can be effective, but also not nearly as successful as portrayed in-game. Reduce the chance of a deer becoming attracted, and once attracted they should be attracted to a general area, not a specific spot. Maybe a 50m circle around where the call was used. They could even add the AI to make the deer circle around the call and approach it from down-wind, increasing the chance of the deer smelling the hunter before it gets in range.

Then the bait, either feeders (movable), or food-plots (permanent) implemented such that you should not expect to start a game, walk to the bait & expect to see a herd feeding every time.
Rather than spawn additional animals in the area so they all arrive at the bait within a short amount of time, they could base an attraction radius on the attraction value that maxes out at a very large (~ 500m-1000m, for example). But only a % of animals in the attraction radius would be attracted. And those that are attracted would roam at normal speed so they arrive at the bait in intervals. They could go as far as having "feeding times" that occur several times per day, but not at the same times every day.

Balancing the system so that the average success rate of hunting over bait is equal, or only slightly better than tracking & stalking.

This would keep the game fair for competitions, allow hunters to use their favorite hunting style, create more variety in the game, and add marketable items to game to increase revenue.
And hopefully make the game a little bit more realistic.

I like this. Tod makes many valid points on the realism of irl deer calling, hunting, using lures and their actual behavior.
I think that with an overhaul to the entire call system that this could work.
Without the overhaul however, "Just No."

We already have a good idea of the many spawn locations that provide larger animals. I know that if I spawn at the south west lodge in RFF and cross the stream to the west and get to the tower that I have about an 80% chance of finding a decient WT buck in my first 20 irl minutes of hunting if I drop a scent bomb near the fork in the river. I also know there will be a doe I have to avoid on my way to the tower 100% of the time and there will be 2 cows and a bull moose roaming the general island areas if I don't spook anything.

What do I really need bait for? I dont need an attractant, I need a misdirection so they don't come directly to me when I call.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

id like to see them added but i cant think of a way these could be implemented without completely ruining stalk hunting as a viable option and making them worth while paying for and maintaining so id say no to it if it would be remotely like the feeder system we already have. becasue lets face it you can win comps for boar and bear stalking but the vast majority are won at a feeder. i know all mine have been. and to an extent it is pay to win. but for me personally its pay to enjoy. extended hunts at a feeder or in a blind is my style and thats why i wana see them but for stalk hunters we will be cutting out a vast chunk of the game species arguably the most iconic ones an that not fair. i like tod1ds idea but i think that would require so much code and so much rework of what we already have it wont happen.
Zatoxx

Post by Zatoxx »

I like that idea, and i really want to see this feature too.
they could be sold as consumable for $ems or $gms, and could be packed like scent spray. Or single and bundles etc.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”