Bird bait

Mills
Outfitter

Re: Bird bait

Post by Mills »

Fletchette wrote:
Mills wrote:Well, they could implement it by putting Cheez-Its and other cracker based baits for waterfowl in the store and selling them for gm$'s. I use all sorts of crackers when I'm hunting waterfowl in real life. I just go to my local bird observatory, set up a quick ground blind, throw some Cheez-Its or Wheat Thins out about 10 yards or so and wait for some unsuspecting little duckies or honkers to come and eat them. Then BAM! Hit em with my slingshot. Thats how its done up here in Samskanchewan anyways.
Huh, I would have figured you used doughnuts .... :P

Coo loo coo coo, coo coo coo coo !!!!
nosnerb wrote:I really cant tell if you are being honest or not.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

ManBearPig !!! :o
Personal Bests...
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

nosnerb wrote:I know donuts are used for bears at least
as is popcorn covered in cool-aid apparently:). I think anything high in fats and sugars will have then take a look at least. I read an article on it years ago and this was some pro hunters preferred bait. He basically said if you think it might work, test it on raccoon's. if they show an interest bears will too. ive no first hand experience as i live in England, but it makes sense i suppose. they both raid bins and stuff, they obviously like something we throw away.
nicksynnz
Hunter

Post by nicksynnz »

Peacefulherbs wrote:How about bait for birds?

Scenario: I'm chilling in the swamp when some quackers come to visit. I'd like to be able to throw out some bread or cheese its.
The bird feeders for ducks on the ponds use maize, a small amount put onto the ponds every few hours or so about 3 weeks before the duck season starts. (well at least here), though I don't use a feeder. I go about two weeks before and throw handfuls of Maize onto the ponds so the ducks know where to go for a feed and of course later on to die.
Что-то никогда не изменится
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

The reason to feed the ducks corn for weeks before hunting season opens is to make them taste better. A side effect is that they will get used to showing up for the corn even after the season opens.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

My favorite duck food is #6 shot, I really feed them a lot. :D
Argylius
Tracker

Post by Argylius »

Sadly all the parks I know are strictly "don't feed the waterfowl!" because it messes up their migratory routes when they get too dependent on the spot for food.

One time I tried to pick up a duck to hug it (I was a kid then) and it pooped all over my chest
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

In my state at least, baiting them little quackers are illegal. Btw gas, you use 6? Are you hunting teal? I only use 6 for the bunnies and squirrels around my garden and pecan tree :lol: My preffered shot size is #2
FluorescentBlack
Spotter

Post by FluorescentBlack »

So you use it like a spray but it has the animation of cheezits getting tossed on the ground. Any birds that "eat" some go up in score value :)
Charlielolyoloswag

Post by Charlielolyoloswag »

I say they also add sour cream and onion chips for when the ducks get sick of Cheez its and donuts haha
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears, bears will kill you.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”