turkey callers

slugmeister
Outfitter

turkey callers

Post by slugmeister »

Its been how long since the turkey caller came out? :lol: Still it continues to make a call that turkeys don't even do. I feel that the current box call should do a set of yelps if held in, or one click should do a cluck. Currently it's a continuous loop of what is almost a cluck, but its very bad. In the future I'd like to see a mouth call that you can use with the gun up, as well as a slate call which is great for doing purrs. I'll link to what a turkey actually sounds like. The second video is actually very informative. Cluck and listen. Clucks almost like a locator call to get toms to gobble. Yelps are kind of the standard to draw them in.

yelps (starts at 4 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMW9Si6mxoo

cluck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn-AZKayauE
Bucky1015
Spotter

Re: turkey callers

Post by Bucky1015 »

I also agree, Slugmeister. I've seen various wooden calls used for locating and calling in turkeys. Also maybe use a wingbone call. As it is called it is made out of the bones found in turkey wings. I've always wanted one to use in real life, but that won't happen until I finally kill my first turkey.
slugmeister
Outfitter

Post by slugmeister »

In real life some of my favorite locating calls are a jake gobble, and a crow call. During the spring, the gobble works more than half the time. Sometimes all it takes is a nice loud crow CAWWWW. Mostly though I just use my box call and make some clucks. They work great if a tom can hear them. I don't have a wing bone call, but they are some of the hardest to master. My favorite as of now is my box. My second favorite is the slate, then followed by a mouth diaphragm. The mouth call is annoying, and my slate only works in perfect conditions. If it gets dirt, grass (wet grass), or water on it, it makes no sound. My box call is reliable, and sounds great.
caliber420
Hunter

Post by caliber420 »

+1 for mouth call. Most turkey bowhunters seem to prefer them, so you can aim while still also calling. I like to use the box + the diaphragm to make it sound like there is more than one turkey calling back to each other.
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
DonderDeer
Outfitter

Post by DonderDeer »

I don't like the idea of being able to simultaneously call while holding your weapon. You can't do that for any of the other animals and it'd be weird for game mechanics.
homk

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”