Bird feeder?

SPRK85
Outfitter

Re: Bird feeder?

Post by SPRK85 »

I would find it very usefull to have something like a Pheasant feeder. Better yet: Pheasant Bait. Just that. You would not need a feeder for that. You just find a good spot, throw some food around, and return later on the same hunt. It's attraction will react far quicker than the feeder sites, a bit like scent spray. But because it is far more potent than scent and would work quicker than regular bait, it would be fair (devs read: providable) that a single use would cost around 15em$. 10 pack would be around 125em$, 50 pack would go for 500em$.
Outacontrol
Outfitter

Re: Bird feeder?

Post by Outacontrol »

There is little if any point in pheasant feeders. Pheasant are found in and near stubble fields. There is more than enough grain left behind during the harvest to keep pheasants from needing to go to a feeder. We once tried to feed the blue quail coveys that we had on our land during one really bad winter. We dumped the grain near where they roost and in one case, on the path they traveled to get to the wheat field, the quail didn't bother with it, they made that trip to field every day, completely ignoring the wheat and sorghum we had offered them. We had 3 coveys of blues and 1 covey of bob whites. The bob whites population stayed at around 50 birds but those blues had 150 to 200 birds to a covey. We never hunted the bobwhites but we pounded those blues every winter. Those blues are twice the size of the bobwhites and taste better. The coveys were extremely strong. We would take 75 to 150 birds from each covey every winter and they would be back to 150 to 200 the very next fall. I loved hunting those blues almost as much as I liked hunting pheasant. Now I am stuck in the land of the tiny little bob white and it sucks. On the upside, I get to fish everyday so I will live with the scrawny little bob whites.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”