Verbal Ability to Stop Animals

Hawkeye
Outfitter

Verbal Ability to Stop Animals

Post by Hawkeye »

When hunting irl, if you have an animal coming in, waiting until it gets to that perfect spot to offer you a shot, you make a low sound to stop them. I hunt whitetail, and I usually say "meh", almost like a crude verbal bleat. In my experience, this stops the deer every time, and has helped me get off many bow shots. The downside is that the deer can sometimes go on alert, so you better be prepared to make that shot when you do it.

What if we were given this ability in game, similar to how the whistle jumps pheasants? You could make the sound, the animal would stop, but go alert, and you would then have, for example, a 5 second window to make that shot before the animal spooks. Currently, I would say about 80% of my shots are on moving animals, which I would never do irl.
Knut
Outfitter

Re: Verbal Ability to Stop Animals

Post by Knut »

It has been suggested before to use the whistle function also for that. I think it would be realistic and would like to see it implemented.

Especially with Roe and Moose females that would be great. They never seem to stop and really stand still. And if they do, it's just a notch too short to overcome your puzzlement and place the shot.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
voske

Post by voske »

I agree with this request as this tactic works.

When Coyote hunting we use a short verbal bark to stop a dog running inbound as shooting at a stationary
target is more accurate and therefore more humane as this lowers the chance of an inhumane or missed shot
on a running or moving animal.

I have even tried the whistle {f key in game} to see if it would work on deer, dogs and the new red fox but this has no affect in game at this time.
Would be nice to see.

Happy Hunting.

voski
Sqwee
Outfitter

Post by Sqwee »

Been suggested several times, but I agree. Almost every bowhunter IRL has used this tactic.
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

Pleeeease! This is exactly what we need. We even have the F key that is being used to flush peasants, maybe using the same key for alerting animals and make them stop for a brief time so we can place out shot.

Oh please this is exactly what I need since I hardly ever use lures/callers and always try to sneak and stalk my game.
Victimizer
Spotter

Post by Victimizer »

I remember posting my thoughts of adding this function a long time ago, with a lot of player support I was sure they would implement this. I am not experienced enough to be sure that this works for other animals realistically so I take your alls word for it. I just know when a coyote is coming in, and you want it to stop, a whistle always works.
11sparky11
Scout

Post by 11sparky11 »

Please god yes, need it for those animals that won't stop moving, or when an animal crests a hill and you don't want it to dip below again.
hadda
Scout

Post by hadda »

I've suggested this with the whistle.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Victimizer wrote:I remember posting my thoughts of adding this function a long time ago, with a lot of player support I was sure they would implement this. I am not experienced enough to be sure that this works for other animals realistically so I take your alls word for it. I just know when a coyote is coming in, and you want it to stop, a whistle always works.
This function as so many good ideas and suggestion now rest on Devs "trunk of memories"
Luziano
Hunter

Post by Luziano »

As a bowhunter that sneaks and stalks his prey this ability will be awesome.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”