Improved turkey hunting (calling/decoys)

Sqwee
Outfitter

Improved turkey hunting (calling/decoys)

Post by Sqwee »

Turkey hunting is an amazingly exciting adventure in real life that is just not the same in this game. One of the things about real turkey hunting is the ways to interact with the turkeys with several types of calls. Calling in turkey hunting is everything. It's a pretty complex language and the reactions would be a challenge to incorporate into the game, but if you could do it, turkey hunting would be the best. In addition, decoys are almost always used in real life. We need the ability buy a hen, jake, and strutting tom combo pack or something and set them up how we desire.

The box call in the game is terrible. It's not even a real call you would do...it's like one stroke in a yelp pattern, which in real life would raise questions in the minds of nearby turkeys. We need a slate friction call and a diaphragm call. I don't know many people who still use the big box calls. Slate is much more versatile and sound amazing, and the diaphragm call is great for when the birds are within sight. The slate call should have the ability to call in different patterns, just as you do in real life. You equip the slate call, and once you raise it up, you then hit certain keys to initiate different styles of calling. We need the yelp, assembly call, excited yelp, cut, cluck, and purr. All are extremely useful in real life. The diaphragm call would be great in the game just as it is in real life...hands free. We should be able to have our gun up and ready and be able to hit certain keys to make different types of calls. Turkeys are INCREDIBLY hard to hunt because they are so alert and have ridiculously good eyesight. The diaphragm call needs the yelp, cluck, and purr.

For more info on styles of turkey calling: http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html

More about the turkey behavior: Early in the morning, we should be able to hear them cackle down out of a roost. Right after they hit the ground, the woods should light up with activity. The calling we hear from the turkeys in the game is not very good. We should be able to communicate back and forth with hens with yelps, and when we excite a tom, hear him gobble.

Another neat addition to the game would be the ability to sit against the base of trees or rocks. You should be able to kneel down facing the surface you want to sit against, then hit E to turn around and sit down.

I'm not trying to bash the game, in fact I enjoy the turkey hunting because it IS hard. But it could be much better. Thoughts?
rebel7254
Scout

Re: Improved turkey hunting (calling/decoys)

Post by rebel7254 »

We should be able to communicate back and forth with hens with yelps, and when we excite a tom, hear him gobble.
This is by far the most important of these suggestions, and probably the easiest to remedy. I read in another thread that the only animals who even respond audibly to player calls in the game are moose and pheasants. If that is true, then that is hugely unrealistic as far as turkeys are concerned, and in my opinion must be changed in order to give at least a very basic simulation of turkey hunting.

I'm also a turkey hunter in real life, but I really don't care if they go the extra mile with all those different calls like you want. I think that might be going a little overboard, especially when you consider that turkeys are just one type of species available to hunt in the game. It really doesn't bother me to just have one or at most two calls per animal in this game, because there is an inventory limit.

The suggestion for decoys I agree with. Seems like that could be implemented without a ton of trouble as well. They could work just like the scent lures for other animals, except they have to be in the animal's viewing range to be effective.

I read in another thread that the only animals who even respond audibly to player calls in the game are moose and pheasants. If that is true, then that is hugely unrealistic as far as turkeys are concerned, and in my opinion must be changed in order to give at least a very basic simulation of turkey hunting.
Another neat addition to the game would be the ability to sit against the base of trees or rocks. You should be able to kneel down facing the surface you want to sit against, then hit E to turn around and sit down.
Seconded.
Sleepy
Spotter

Re: Improved turkey hunting (calling/decoys)

Post by Sleepy »

+1 for sitting back against things, and a deploy able decoy.

Return to “Calls & Lure Suggestions”