Venison quality

deerman30
Tracker

Re: Venison quality

Post by deerman30 »

If it's venison we're talking about, I'd rather use that venison to make a special meal that boosts my xp gain.

In other news, black bear meatloaf.

I Love Big Racks
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

EthanRanft wrote:
Dr_ViEr wrote:Hi,

The last time I was sitting on my hunting tower irl, after hours of waiting (apparently, we do not have the same wild boar population as in the game :o) a young boar appeared. It directly turned away from me and as my goal is more to harvest premium class venison than getting a trophy there was no chance to shoot it.

I started thinking, that in the game I probably would have taken the shot and - as I am typically using enough gun - probably would have even got 100% trophy value.

What is you opinion about either a bonus for a clean shot (lung, heart, liver) or a slight reduction in case stomach and/or intestines are hit.
Pure brain and neck shots are to be discussed as they prevent bleeding out and therefore also slightly decrease venison quality but far less then a shot to far back.
How are you gonna get venison from a pig?
OK, I wasn't aware venison is only deer meat. At least it produced some funny answers :lol:
Spoiler:
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Tod1d wrote:What do you mean by, "bonus"? You already get 100% HV for a well placed shot the drops that animal.

Although I'll admit the whole Trophy Integrity / Wound Time / Harvest Value system could be improved, It's already meant to consider the overall "value" of the kill, including the meat.
I am thinking of a few more gm$ or maybe 1em€. It does not have to be much, but just to value the shot.
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

You Guys have got it all wrong.
Having been a meat hunter during the 70s, through to the early 2000s here in New Zealand, I can tell you that the top prices for wild game sold to the German game markets during those decades was for head and neck shots. About a 10 to 15% reduction for body shots, and around 30% reduction for Hindquarter shots.
How are you going to reconcile the reality of that with the fact that neither head or neck shots work in anyway as effectively as in real life in this game.
Neck shots were the preferred method as they were the easiest to make and eliminated the risk of making a poor head shot that allowed the animal to escape and die several days or a week later from its wounds.
Neck shots will drop an animal in its tracks even if the spinal column is not hit, the concussion paralysis the animal to the point that they never recover their mobility or the ability to eat or drink. Every animal shot was bled out by cutting its throat, usually in the case of a neck shot the heart would still be pumping when this was done, so bleeding was complete and efficient. That was the recognized standard for top Quality venison sold for human consumption.
Reality and gaming are not compatible to the current way this game is coded.
The rules of the game are that the best returns are for double lung or heart shots so that will remain the way to progress.

P.S Deer meat is Venison.
Pig meat is Pork.
Goat meat is Dog Tucker.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Interesting info DanthemanBoone!

As a meat hunter, were you allowed to harvest more animals than the average hunter?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

In New Zealand there is no limit on the numbers of animals that can be harvested on public or conservation lands.
All the game animals in this country were introduced, Deer, pigs, goats, opossums, wallabies, rabbits etc and as there are no natural predators numbers grew out of control until it became a conservation problem, at which time the government declared them all to be pests that could be shot anytime, anywhere by anyone.
But as a ground hunter each individual is limited to the number of animals you could carry out before they spoiled. I.E. we only killed what we could extract.
Firearm licenses are required to own and use a gun, but there is no legislation regarding the caliber that can be used on large game.
Bows do have some restrictions as to draw weights and arrow configurations.
On private land access and limits are at the discretion of the land owner or his representative.
Only upland game birds, and Waterfowl require licenses and have limits.
Pistols are not allowed for anyone except Police, or licensed gun club members using them at gun club grounds, and cannot legally be used for hunting.
Now days all venison is grown on farms and processed through licensed abbitors and there is no market for wild venison. Only recreational hunters still hunt them for their own reasons, meat or trophies.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

For me the most ethical shot is a double lung shot. I've done it all my life as did my family and friends. It has the biggest kill zone and odds of success are the highest. An animal will never live with a hole through both lungs. I've never lost an animal in my real hunting and personally i'm proud of that. I had to pass up a lot of shots but we're only allowed to kill one animal of each species. I always got it done before the season was done.

A lot of hunters are too impatient and take ridiculous shots that have small odds of success. I've seen neck shots that didn't kill if it was not a spine shot or close to the spine. A fast CF bullet will create hydrostatic shock but it still needs to be close to an organ or spine.

A double lung will ruin a little rib meat but it's worth it to guarantee a safe humane shot with high odds of success. I was in a hunting club. We all thought like this and a member was thrown out if they were caught taking any other shot.

This is real hunting [to me]. The game is different but personally I still try to hunt the same in both but will take safe frontal shots in game.

Hunting to supply meat with no limit on how many are killed is not something I could ever do. I leave that to others who aren't bothered by it. We all need to eat and for some people that means having someone else get the meat for them. I think a man should have the natural urge to hunt for meat to feed his family. I have a hard time understanding those who don't. Some will say these are modern times and man doesn't need to hunt for his own food. Yes, you do.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Bort
Scout

Post by Bort »

Dr_ViEr wrote:Hi,

The last time I was sitting on my hunting tower irl, after hours of waiting (apparently, we do not have the same wild boar population as in the game :o) a young boar appeared. It directly turned away from me and as my goal is more to harvest premium class venison than getting a trophy there was no chance to shoot it.

I started thinking, that in the game I probably would have taken the shot and - as I am typically using enough gun - probably would have even got 100% trophy value.

What is you opinion about either a bonus for a clean shot (lung, heart, liver) or a slight reduction in case stomach and/or intestines are hit.
Pure brain and neck shots are to be discussed as they prevent bleeding out and therefore also slightly decrease venison quality but far less then a shot to far back.
In my opinion because of how weapon projectiles work and are subject to things we can't adjust for as easily as we could, and that also don't exist in real life like lag and internet quality causing shots that would normally be spot on hit the animal in a completely different area than we were aiming I don't think such a thing would be fair for everyone to have included in the game. I've shot animals in the head just under their ears when I was on a DSL connection and it registered as hitting the intestines. Even now with a 1gb connection my shots don't always register perfectly.
That's not a complaint I enjoy the game regardless of those things happening. It's a game and it's online. I personally expect those kind of things.

Some might say that's because of wind. Wind doesn't effect a bullet going faster than sound that much at the distances we're firing them in the game regularly. A bullet being an inch or two off because of wind at the distances we're usually firing them in the game, yeah. But when you're aiming at an animal broadside aiming at their lung area from 100m or less and it registers as hitting their butt (intestines) or leg that's more likely connection whoopsie than wind or anything else.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

That is a valid point. I also sometimes observe shots being far off the point I aimed at.
Nevertheless, I do not expect a huge bonus.
If you take the time and wait for a clean shot, you increase the risk of losing the animal. In real life, the incentive is the quality of meat. Should there not be a bonus in the game as well?
And in case your shot is off, which does not happen so often, so what...? Next time it will be on spot again.
But that is just my opinion on that.
Spoiler:

Return to “Animal Suggestions”