Bullfrogs at Rougarou Bayou

Cauliflower
Tracker

Bullfrogs at Rougarou Bayou

Post by Cauliflower »

Alligators don't seem to be coming. I haven't seen anyone talk about Frogs yet. How about Bullfrogs? A lot of people hunt them and I heard they get pretty big in Louisiana. The stories are quite interesting to read. Frog legs are good eating.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Re: Bullfrogs at Rougarou Bayou

Post by curlyCoyote »

Seems interesting, I don't really follow American Hunting much, but I have indeed heard of bullfrogs back in Florida, as well as seen a bunch of guys hunting them with air rifles.

I think it would really be a good addition to Rogaru, because the problem with Rogaru is that there's very little reason to hunt it not for Ducks. The animal population outside of ducks seems a bit lackluster, like bears, bobcats, and hogs are pretty annoying species most of the time, especially on a reserve where you cant crawl in 50% of the area. Not to mention hogs are literally invisible in the deep forests. Although I do have to admit, there are some really good hog feeder spots on this map.

I feel like the addition of either crocodiles or bullfrogs, a species that can be hunted on those annoying water crossings would seem really interesting and revive the reserve for nonwaterflow hunting. As well as add a bit of "spice" and uniqueness to the reserve outside of ducks. Rogaru would be the least popular reserve, even worse than Settler Creeks if it was not for the ducks, and the fact that you cant hunt them on any other reserve.

I honestly think it wouldn't be that hard to program bullfrogs, just put them on a patrol-water-body command and make their heads stick out of the water a little bit.

Rogaru needs something to make it unique outside of ducks, since most long-time players are already maxed on the duck's hunter score since they are so easy to harvest in large quantities.

I would like to hear other opinions.

*EDIT: Thank you, moderators, for moving this topic out of bug reports, I was just about to send you guys a message as well*
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

I'd love to see a more unique species on Rougarou. While I do hunt the northern parts of the map for bobcat (hardly any pigs up there at all and seems like only a handful of whitetails, so bobcats call frequently since there's not much else that can call), the map is really only necessary for ducks. Most almost all players, it serves no other purpose.

I'd love to see gator hunting. It's one of the two species I've hoped for since I came on board years ago, the other being mountain lion so dreams do come true and all that. I assume they avoid it because it would probably be a bit more difficult to program that just some other four legged land critter. They'd need to be able to transition from land, to water surface, and to deep water smoothly. They're probably need to be programmed to be aggressive if the player is in or close to the water and they're caught off-guard. Perhaps the biggest thing is that I'm not sure how they could design them so they could potentially "get away" from the player. Gators can run, but not that far and not that fast. They can retreat into water but with water in this game being transparent, a player could just stand over them and wait them out or shoot them while submerged in the water (though that shouldn't be permitted). There's not really deep water or opaque water where a big one could give you the slip. There's just a handful of things I think they'd need to really consider.

Sika deer could be a good addition. New species are always exciting and people typically love deer. Unfortunately sika aren't native to the southeast US, but they could be introduced for the sake of the game. After all, my own home state has an established population that was introduced long ago and hunting them is a huge deal in Maryland. Cool thing about them is that they absolutely love swamps and for being as small as they are, they can get around fast and sneaky in deep mud and water. Given the landscape they'd certainly fit right in.

Now bullfrogs I'm not so sure about. I enjoy small game so I'd entertain the idea but I don't know if others would. Small game is hardly the most popular element in theHunter and frogs wouldn't add the need for any new equipment if you plan to shoot them with air rifles. I've never seen them shot before. Most people who I know that chase them just go gigging and that's starting to get out of the realm of what this game is about. I guess you could shoot them too though put I think you're starting to get into the sames questions as crocodiles. Should they have a way to actually "escape" the player since they can't really run off? Would it be unethical to shoot them in the water, even if their head is above the surface? Would they flee nearby gunshots like other animals?

With them being small game which is already the less popular option and probably not adding any unique equipment to the game, would including them really do much to benefit the game?
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

xOEDragonx wrote:Sika deer could be a good addition.
I honestly never knew this deer even existed, at first I thought you misspelled "Sitka", but turns out that I misread :roll:

Here's what Sika deer looks like based on my short internet search, looks like a mix of red deer and fallow deer to my untrained eyes.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

curlyCoyote wrote:Here's what Sika deer looks like based on my short internet search, looks like a mix of red deer and fallow deer to my untrained eyes.
I'd have to do a bit a digging to find out what subspecies we have here in Maryland, but they don't usually look much like their Asian counterparts. They're smaller (like max 30 kg), a six point is a huge stag in these parts and even though the retained spots into adulthood is kind of one of the sika's defining traits, I've never seen an adult in MD with spots. They're always just dark brown (maybe because you only ever see them in waist deep mud :lol: ) and males get a shaggy mane. Hunting them is similar to red deer or elk, they bugle and have an earlier rutting season than our whitetails do. This guy here is more characteristic of a big stag in MD:
ogruls
Outfitter

Post by ogruls »

Used to cull Sika and Red/Sika hybrids here, class them as vermin myself. The hybrids are fertile in both sexes.
Cauliflower
Tracker

Post by Cauliflower »

curlyCoyote wrote:Seems interesting, I don't really follow American Hunting much, but I have indeed heard of bullfrogs back in Florida, as well as seen a bunch of guys hunting them with air rifles.

I think it would really be a good addition to Rogaru, because the problem with Rogaru is that there's very little reason to hunt it not for Ducks. The animal population outside of ducks seems a bit lackluster, like bears, bobcats, and hogs are pretty annoying species most of the time, especially on a reserve where you cant crawl in 50% of the area. Not to mention hogs are literally invisible in the deep forests. Although I do have to admit, there are some really good hog feeder spots on this map.

I feel like the addition of either crocodiles or bullfrogs, a species that can be hunted on those annoying water crossings would seem really interesting and revive the reserve for nonwaterflow hunting. As well as add a bit of "spice" and uniqueness to the reserve outside of ducks. Rogaru would be the least popular reserve, even worse than Settler Creeks if it was not for the ducks, and the fact that you cant hunt them on any other reserve.

I honestly think it wouldn't be that hard to program bullfrogs, just put them on a patrol-water-body command and make their heads stick out of the water a little bit.

Rogaru needs something to make it unique outside of ducks, since most long-time players are already maxed on the duck's hunter score since they are so easy to harvest in large quantities.

I would like to hear other opinions.

*EDIT: Thank you, moderators, for moving this topic out of bug reports, I was just about to send you guys a message as well*
I was thinking it could be a bit similar to hunting rabbits in the game. European rabbits like to flee into holes. The Bullfrogs could flee to the water and probably do that head sticking out thing. I've seen Bullfrogs eat mice and even rabbits before. They'll try and eat anything if they get big enough. As far as what you could use to hunt them with, air rifle or .22 could probably work. I've even seen videos of people using bows, BB guns and blowguns or dart guns. That's new content that could change things up a bit as well.

Beyond that, its true that I'd like to see anything new at Rougarou Bayou just as long as it isn't another duck. I think its also interesting to add a whole new species outside of species in the game. Like gators or Bullfrogs, you get reptiles and amphibians. The game has none of those species anywhere in the reserves. We got birds, deer, pigs, cats, canine, goats.... I just feel we need something unique to spice things up. I even thought about Turtles but figured it might be a bit more difficult. They got shells which gives them more protection. My grandpa used to hunt them and mount the shells on the wall. I can't really imagine shooting them. Bullfrogs could be programmed more like rabbits. They don't always have to be in the water. They do come on land as well. If not Bullfrogs, what about Beavers?

I know I keep throwing small game out. I actually really enjoy hunting small game in this game.
ShaneRoach
Spotter

Post by ShaneRoach »

Seems like what they need is more maps, or perhaps a way to gear each map for a specific hunting taste. I say this because I believe, if I understand the system correctly, they can only have x amount of total animals on a map. So to add some is to subtract others. So maybe someone sick of ducks wants more... feral hogs? But I mean you catch the drift. On the map selection screen a little choice for min maxing your game mix.

I mean I could do without the hogs on Rougarou to replace with bullfrogs, but my undestanding is bullfrog hunting is really more akin to fishing than hunting. No need for a gun.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”