A new species for Redfeather Falls

xOEDragonx

Re: A new species for Redfeather Falls

Post by xOEDragonx »

TheSheWolf wrote: It's definitely close!! But it's got elk, which we definitely don't get in the east :lol:
Elk used to be a native species in the Eastern US until we killed them all. They've since been reintroduced into Pennsylvania. There is a "wild" population of them living in north central PA that many people, including myself, travel to see. There's also a lottery to hunt them. Also a population of them on the northwest border of North Carolina, but I don't know much about them. Unfortunately the populations will probably never expand since nobody seems to want them anywhere, but they are technically populations in the Appalachians.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Actually Kentucky has a herd of over 10000 which is the most east of the Mississippi.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Kentucky has elk?! Penn too, that's the first I knew of that. I'm guessing it's not Roosevelt Elk (I'm still fairly sure Settler Creeks--or is it Settlers Creek? is more western b/c of elk presence), but that's still pretty cool.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

TheSheWolf wrote:Kentucky has elk?! Penn too, that's the first I knew of that. I'm guessing it's not Roosevelt Elk (I'm still fairly sure Settler Creeks--or is it Settlers Creek? is more western b/c of elk presence), but that's still pretty cool.
Not sure about Pennsylvania but the ones in Kentucky are Eastern Elk which were once native in the Appalachians. You've been in Germany too long. :lol: It was always my understanding the SC was based on the Appalachians and it does remind me somewhat of my beloved mountains.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

buffalo.....get rid of about half the bears... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

XxStrong1xX wrote: Not sure about Pennsylvania but the ones in Kentucky are Eastern Elk which were once native in the Appalachians. You've been in Germany too long. :lol: It was always my understanding the SC was based on the Appalachians and it does remind me somewhat of my beloved mountains.
Oh yeah! I meant 'cause the ones in-game are Roosevelt, ha
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

There Elk in Illinois and Wisconsin, both East of the Mississippi.
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

XxStrong1xX wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:Kentucky has elk?! Penn too, that's the first I knew of that. I'm guessing it's not Roosevelt Elk (I'm still fairly sure Settler Creeks--or is it Settlers Creek? is more western b/c of elk presence), but that's still pretty cool.
Not sure about Pennsylvania but the ones in Kentucky are Eastern Elk which were once native in the Appalachians. You've been in Germany too long. :lol: It was always my understanding the SC was based on the Appalachians and it does remind me somewhat of my beloved mountains.
I guess maybe you can call them Eastern Elk now, but in late 90's when they were restocked in Ky., they all came from Donor herds in six western states – Arizona, Kansas, North Dakota, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah.
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Interesting... from https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_ ... 010000.pdf
Four subspecies of American elk live in North America today. The tule elk (C. elaphus nannodes), the
smallest of the subspecies, once freely roamed the valleys of central and northern California. Today,
many of the approximately 3,000 tule elk that remain are managed by state and federal agencies on
California public lands. The Manitoba elk (C. elaphus manitobensis) once occurred primarily from
Colorado north into Canada along the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains; however, it did range east
into Minnesota and south into northern Texas. Today, the majority of the Manitoba elk population
(approximately 20,000 individuals) are found in the provincial and national parks of Manitoba and
eastern Saskatchewan, Canada. The Roosevelt elk (C. elaphus roosevelti) and the Rocky Mountain elk
(C. elaphus nelsoni) are the largest and second largest living elk subspecies in North America, respectively.
The Roosevelt elk population, approximately 91,000 strong, ranges along the Pacific coast
from northern California to Washington and Canada. The Rocky Mountain elk is the most plentiful of
the four elk species (800,000 to 900,000 individuals) and occurs primarily in the mountain ranges east
of the Cascade Mountains. However, because of its adaptive nature and variable diet, sustainable
populations of Rocky Mountain elk have been successfully introduced or repatriated into historical
habitats in many western and eastern states. Rocky Mountain elk now occur in parts of Alaska, Arizona,
Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New
Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington,
and Wyoming.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
wt_hunting
Scout

Post by wt_hunting »

Tod1d wrote:Interesting... from https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_ ... 010000.pdf
Four subspecies of American elk live in North America today. The tule elk (C. elaphus nannodes), the
smallest of the subspecies, once freely roamed the valleys of central and northern California. Today,
many of the approximately 3,000 tule elk that remain are managed by state and federal agencies on
California public lands. The Manitoba elk (C. elaphus manitobensis) once occurred primarily from
Colorado north into Canada along the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains; however, it did range east
into Minnesota and south into northern Texas. Today, the majority of the Manitoba elk population
(approximately 20,000 individuals) are found in the provincial and national parks of Manitoba and
eastern Saskatchewan, Canada. The Roosevelt elk (C. elaphus roosevelti) and the Rocky Mountain elk
(C. elaphus nelsoni) are the largest and second largest living elk subspecies in North America, respectively.
The Roosevelt elk population, approximately 91,000 strong, ranges along the Pacific coast
from northern California to Washington and Canada. The Rocky Mountain elk is the most plentiful of
the four elk species (800,000 to 900,000 individuals) and occurs primarily in the mountain ranges east
of the Cascade Mountains. However, because of its adaptive nature and variable diet, sustainable
populations of Rocky Mountain elk have been successfully introduced or repatriated into historical
habitats in many western and eastern states. Rocky Mountain elk now occur in parts of Alaska, Arizona,
Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New
Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington,
and Wyoming.
And Illinois and Wisconsin, as mentioned. The herd in Illinois is in a forest preserve next to a Chicago suburb, appropriately named, Elk Grove Village. There is video of Elk in Wisconsin, on YouTube.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”