Add mor birds like: Black grouse and Western capercaillie

HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Add mor birds like: Black grouse and Western capercaillie

Post by HooCairs »

Nathan112244 wrote:In my opinion we definitely don't, especially anything like the ptarmigan.
VonStratos wrote:Ptarmigans manage unite a community into a common cause,no more birds!
I have no issues with the ptarmigans. You guys assume your opinion is that of everyone.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well that part of my comment was in a joke tone, not to be taken literally, but to be fair when birds are suggested like in this post we got more negative answer than positives ones, if that represent a large part of the community of just a vocal minority i don't know, i for one, don't want more ptarmigan or similar birds, but i have no problems with something like pheasants as i said previously but thats my opinion and i don't talk for anyone else.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

HooCairs wrote:
Nathan112244 wrote:In my opinion we definitely don't, especially anything like the ptarmigan.
VonStratos wrote:Ptarmigans manage unite a community into a common cause,no more birds!
I have no issues with the ptarmigans. You guys assume your opinion is that of everyone.
I don't assume, my opinion is that of everyone, i know its for more than just me so it would be "we".
"We" Doesn't mean everyone,
it means everyone who doesn't want more birds because i can tell you, i know for a fact there are plenty of people who hate ptarmigan.
They are nothing but annoying birds that lag games.
Sure its an opinion but even look at the signature on here, most of them have 0 or 1 of the ptarmigan species.
Nathan22Outdoors
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

The western capercaillie would be great addition, it's from pheasant family, and has specific behavior that would make it not so hard target. :)

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

I agree with the introduction of new species of birds.
I am favorable for all types of grouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grouse
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Nathan112244 wrote:Sure its an opinion but even look at the signature on here, most of them have 0 or 1 of the ptarmigan species.
True, they are not your go-to species. I haven't shot many either. There are species if you don't really dedicate your hunt to them, you miss them. Like the euro rabbits or the bighorn sheep.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

HooCairs wrote:
Nathan112244 wrote:Sure its an opinion but even look at the signature on here, most of them have 0 or 1 of the ptarmigan species.
True, they are not your go-to species. I haven't shot many either. There are species if you don't really dedicate your hunt to them, you miss them. Like the euro rabbits or the bighorn sheep.
yeah i guess, But the difference is that neither one of those animals are annoying, and lag your game. When i'm on VDB and i see rabbit holes i try to check all the tracks and hunt them if there is a max weight, bighorn are just hard to hunt and get to during a hunt if you don't have a tent. but when i have 72 ptarms flying 6ft over my head, bringing my game down to 15 fps id rather completely fast travel to a lodge and hunt the river rather than continuing up there.
Nathan22Outdoors
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

Now, now.. You need to understand some things about the species before you shoot them down with the suggestion, pun intended.

Capercaillie numbers are relatively low compared to ptarmigans for instance. The males are solitary and have a territory they sometimes very aggressively defend from competing males. So their spawnsystem could be similar to pheasant, for example -> less effect on FPS for people playing with toasters. And of course, during winter, like the suggested Hemmeldal represents, they tend to feed on treetops, making them a challenging long range shot. Another reason to grab that .223 rifle. Heck, if you feel stealthy you can sneak in for a shot with a shotgun or even a bow. When they are not feeding, they go to ground and act pretty much like pheasants. They are also about 3/4 the size of a goose. The heaviest recorded bird was around 7.2 kg.

Now.. then there's the black grouse. Size is comparable to a duck and they do tend to flock up during winter. Other behavior is similar to capercaillies except the territorial bit.

I actually had a thought on the black grouse: they could behave similar to ducks! They would fly over the map, (before you complain about the noise, they usually don't make any during flight), then if you have decoys, they'd come to feed thinking the area was safe. Then there could be random birds spawning on the map, like ducks, but on treetops instead, and when spooked, they fly off the map, again just like ducks.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I used to do a lot of bird hunting IRL. But since Ptarmigans were put into the game, especially WT Ptarmigans were put on TgT, we all should just have sticks of dynamite to throw at them when they are in a covey together................... :evil:
Maybe then the Bighorn Sheep would all run to one side of the map and we could have mass slaughter of them also................ :lol:

Now being a little more serious about this subject I wouldn't mind seeing more upland birds in the game, if only they could make dogs work correctly like a real hunting dog does.
The reason that Capercaille's supposedly weren't put into the game is, as they like to roost a lot in tree's and the Dev's said they just couldn't figure out how to make them
interact up in the tree's so until they could do it right they wouldn't make them, something like that reason also they haven't made squirrels. IMO the upland birds do not have to interact
with trees and they could be flushed just like any other upland bird on the ground, that would only be a minor obsolete detail of this bird which may be figured out how to make them roost in a tree at a latter date.
The fix of upland birds, particularly Ptarmigans is to make them work correctly and getting rid of that ridiculous flying in circles where they are flushed then coming right back to that spot.
IMO, Make them more with Pheasant like behavior when flushing them and make Ptarmigans, Quail, Grey Partridge, join back up together in their covey at a different spot farther away like they do IRL. Grouse could be the same way, but some grouse like Ruffed Grouse doesn't have big coveys but could still work the same way even with 2-3 birds coming back to the group.
So yes to different upland birds, & waterfowl. It's usually a bird that you first hear when you walk outdoors in the country because there are so many of them around.
And when I am on stand deer hunting on a frosty morning it is usually a Chickadee's Jeet Jeet Jeet sound when it is searching the branches for it's first meal with the suns appearance,...
so the immersion of this in the game would really be outstanding if they added it just for realistic purposes, and adding more upland birds would be also great if they made them act
like they're closely supposed to when you kick them up.
Last edited by gas56 on November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

Morning doves...
Flying in singles, pairs, trips...
all within shotgun range.

FUN!
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Return to “Animal Suggestions”