Deer interactions with each other

Elrique64
Spotter

Deer interactions with each other

Post by Elrique64 »

Calling away at the Platinum Stand, and I have a buck grunt at me from a little ways off. I call a few times and see another buck coming in from a different direction. then I see the first buck coming in.

RL, these two bucks would stop moving towards the call and start moving towards each other, kind of sizing each other up. The larger, more dominate buck would start getting aggressive with the smaller submissive one. If they are of equal (relative) size and dominance, they will start to "spar" with each other. (not full on fighting unless it's near the rut, but just sizing each other up a bit.) If one is drastically larger than the other, the smaller buck wouldn't even think of intruding on the larger, he's going to hold his distance.

Instead what happens is, they come in to the call, stand under the tree stand side-by-side like there's nothing in the world wrong with them being in the same space at the same time. Everyone is just one big happy family...

Not very realistic at all....

They would have an immediate reaction to each other, almost to the exclusion of the calls that were made. In effect, they each become a living decoy for the hunter sitting in the stand watching it all unfold under him. They would react as another deer came into the group, even a doe, to see what's going on, where is the new animal placed within the hierarchy, and who has dominance. Does might very well loiter out of a potential "combat" zone to see who the winner is, or might move around it. they will seldom just walk straight through it....

This might be a major change to the game's AI for Whitetails... (Mulies are going to act completely different, of course, since bucks tend to be in groups, both in game and IRL.) But the realism factor would be drastically improved, as well as giving visual clues to which buck is the "larger" of the two if their scores are similar.
Our freedoms have been bought by the blood of our Veterans. Pay them back with love, kindness and support.

gas56
Outfitter

Re: Deer interactions with each other

Post by gas56 »

Elrique64 wrote:Calling away at the Platinum Stand, and I have a buck grunt at me from a little ways off. I call a few times and see another buck coming in from a different direction. then I see the first buck coming in.

RL, these two bucks would stop moving towards the call and start moving towards each other, kind of sizing each other up. The larger, more dominate buck would start getting aggressive with the smaller submissive one. If they are of equal (relative) size and dominance, they will start to "spar" with each other. (not full on fighting unless it's near the rut, but just sizing each other up a bit.) If one is drastically larger than the other, the smaller buck wouldn't even think of intruding on the larger, he's going to hold his distance.

Instead what happens is, they come in to the call, stand under the tree stand side-by-side like there's nothing in the world wrong with them being in the same space at the same time. Everyone is just one big happy family...

Not very realistic at all....

They would have an immediate reaction to each other, almost to the exclusion of the calls that were made. In effect, they each become a living decoy for the hunter sitting in the stand watching it all unfold under him. They would react as another deer came into the group, even a doe, to see what's going on, where is the new animal placed within the hierarchy, and who has dominance. Does might very well loiter out of a potential "combat" zone to see who the winner is, or might move around it. they will seldom just walk straight through it....

This might be a major change to the game's AI for Whitetails... (Mulies are going to act completely different, of course, since bucks tend to be in groups, both in game and IRL.) But the realism factor would be drastically improved, as well as giving visual clues to which buck is the "larger" of the two if their scores are similar.
Bucks tend to hang together before rutting starts and again when it's done,.. and you've probably noticed there tends to be no rut activity in the game, and no tree/bush rubbing, sparring, velvet
antlers, scraping, fighting, dominance, trails, bedding areas, or any smaller fawns of the year around, etc,.. etc...
This is not by a long shot that this is the first time this has been discussed with the deer A.I. among players and probably won't be the last even if it was asked for it has not
changed in the way the Deer species are made to work by the Dev's in the game.
All I could recommend to you at this point is to use the search function in the forums and look at the past posts about this subject to see what's been suggested in detail how
deer behave IRL as you have also noted in doing, you may be surprised and enlightened with all of the information that's been accumulated.
There are many types of animals that have limited A.I. with their behavior in the game and would be a great endeavor on working to fully modify all of those animals to react to
what IRL animals act like, as if you do it for one species alone then there would be more requesting that it is done on another species then still another,..
which at this point and time I wouldn't think such an investment and time on modifying animals behavior would be a very profitable endeavor with the game using the manpower to do
all of that. For now enjoy it for what it is now as it has grown better with its tenure over the years and gives players a hunting game in variety of animals and habitats
even if it is not an exact resemblance as it is IRL.
Have a good 1...........

Return to “Animal Suggestions”