Make track domes/arcs reflect animal sizes

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Make track domes/arcs reflect animal sizes

Post by Tanngnjostr »

This is an idea that I had a few times already:

I'd like if the size of a track dome or arc would reflect the size of the species it is from. Since rock ptarmigans were introduced, looking for ibex tracks is - in my opinion - a real pain because the whole mountain area is littered with bird tracks and poo and there are arcs glowing everywhere. It can be similar in the west of Hemmeldal with the willow ptarmigan tracks, or even when hunting deer on the meadows of LP and coming across dozens of rabbit tracks. Pheasant tracks can be quite annoying too, especially on the fields of Hirschfelden while stalking other (bigger) prey.
I think it would be nice if small game (birds, rabbits and hares) would have significantly smaller track domes. Maybe big game (moose, bear and bison) could even have slightly bigger ones. This would, on the one hand, reflect how difficult it is to find them. But most important, if you're not going for small game in a hunt, it would be easier to recognize that it's a bird or rabbit track and ignore it.

I'm not sure whether this would be doable with the existing engine, but still... after thinking about it for the umpteenth time during a hunt I thought I'd mention it.
Image Image Image
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Make track domes/arcs reflect animal sizes

Post by TreeKiwi »

Not a bad idea!! Though I know finding cotton tail tracks in thick areas is hard enough as it is sometimes, I would hate for them to be smaller!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

TreeKiwi wrote:Not a bad idea!! Though I know finding cotton tail tracks in thick areas is hard enough as it is sometimes, I would hate for them to be smaller!
Thanks for your feedback.
I get your point. When I said "significantly smaller" I didn't mean they have to be real tiny though, just so you see a difference from 10-15 meters out. You wouldn't have to go check every track when you're looking for - say - ibex on VdB or deer on LP. Sometimes even when you're standing on a track, it's difficult to recognize the species without selecting it with the HM - especially when there's underbrush or something that visually covers the track itself.
Image Image Image
LEFLOR
Scout

Post by LEFLOR »

It's a good idea and I do not know if it's possible, if the arcs were of another form ? More round ? Or square ?
( Arcs for the big game, square for the small game ...)
Or be able to select 2 different colors ( 1 for the small game, 1 for the big one )
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I was just thinking that Lefor... I different shaped marker. But in saying that, not knowing what the track is until you get to it is a nice little surprise. I often visually look at what the tracks are before I click as well.
RudiRR
Scout

Post by RudiRR »

Really good idea. I think very much needed.
piomarvado
Scout

Post by piomarvado »

What's Wrong: 4-legged animals appears 6 marks on the ground.
2-legged animals appear 4 marks on the ground.
If this is corrected it helps a lot.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”