Hunting Bighorn Sheep in Timbergold Trails ...

TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Hunting Bighorn Sheep in Timbergold Trails ...

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hahaha well I'll give it my best :)
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

The other sound that TreeKiwi is referring to sounds like pebbles or small rocks falling down a mountain, or like running sand through a sifter. You also hear that sound with Ibex, but with Bighorns, you can hear it from quite a bit further out. I'm not talking about the loud rock-falling sound that registers on the HM for Ibex. It's much lighter than that. Granted, I use a good headset with the volume turned all the way up. I can pinpoint exactly which direction it's coming from when I hear that sound, and start working my way to them. For Bighorns, the only sound that registers on the HM is the sound they make when they're fighting. I have also yet to actually hear it.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hawkeye wrote:The other sound that TreeKiwi is referring to sounds like pebbles or small rocks falling down a mountain, or like running sand through a sifter. You also hear that sound with Ibex, but with Bighorns, you can hear it from quite a bit further out. I'm not talking about the loud rock-falling sound that registers on the HM for Ibex. It's much lighter than that. Granted, I use a good headset with the volume turned all the way up. I can pinpoint exactly which direction it's coming from when I hear that sound, and start working my way to them. For Bighorns, the only sound that registers on the HM is the sound they make when they're fighting. I have also yet to actually hear it.
You nailed it!!! You get an ear for this sound and you suddenly realize the hill is alive with them!
HD_Artworks
Outfitter

Post by HD_Artworks »

I was in TgT now and I try to do some BHS mission. My objective was harvest 2 Bighorn with lung shot in less than 30 meters.
So, I heard a footstep from over 50meters. She was behind the hill but I was sure she is far enough! So, I go to the hill with no problem and I shot through the lung!
After few seconds I get a call ID from a BHS about 80meters from me! When I get close I see 3 males and 2 females. 2 of Males was fighting and I think you can ID their fighting sound. And I think when you ID their call, this will be a Male call! Just like Pheasant call! (Maybe I'm wrong!)
I get close to them easily and harvest one of the males with Tenpoint for the mission! I was thinking they are so skittish but they are not! :D

I think BHS is a fun animal to hunt! This is becoming my favourite animal to hunt! :D
Season Stats
Spoiler:
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Agree, I don't think Fast Gun is the one who needs a tutorial. :)

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

DYEUZ wrote:I still think that these original points are correct, for me .Not because i got 24 BhS in 4½ hrs , that i think differently now . I just went all in for one time to check out stuff , and check out what the result could be .
How in the heck did you manage this? 24 in 4.5 hours?

D, I've spent days (real time) in a single hunt, hunting TgT. Since their release many months ago, I've seen and tracked enough to get my spotting skill on them to level 2 (30%), and my tracking on them level 2 (78%).
Most of these were during BCKidds first heavies comp. I didn't see or track any during your perfect elk comp and I personally love to hunt grizzly bear and RM Elk enough that I spend a vast amount of my time playing the hunter in TgT despite the too many trees, hidden rocks and stumps that get in the way and the ninja bears. The bhs that I have seen have been in the high hills around the northern points of interest... thats it. Nothing in the bush or in the foothills.

I've quit hunting bhs, as beautiful as they are (apparently. Havent been close enough with high visual settings to find out). But one would think that for the hundreds of hours Ive spent on that reserve, that I might have come across one or atleast had one come across me while I am in a tower, ts or blind.

I use the fall camo, I bathe in scent eliminator and I don't run.
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

He did it by following my hunting advice :) read further in the thread :)
Last edited by TreeKiwi on July 16th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Foxtrotter wrote:How in the heck did you manage this? 24 in 4.5 hours?
It sounds like you're not hunting in the right areas for Bighorn, Foxtrotter. You should look at HooCairs' Animal Maps here: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36090

Around the railroad track tunnels, and up on the mountains above and around them, are very good areas. Also, up on top (and all around the sides) of that one big white-capped peak in the far north of the map is very productive.
Foxtrotter
Scout

Post by Foxtrotter »

Thanks for the tip, Jim.
With the BHS missions out for a while now, maybe I'll actually get around to completing them. It would be an opportune time to pick up where I left off with RM elk and start the grizz missions too. (Thanks Drakle).
Returning Soon!
THE IRONMAN SEASONAL SERIES COMPETITIONS

Brought to you by Foxtrotter and http://www.UHCapps.co.uk
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Foxtrotter wrote: How in the heck did you manage this? 24 in 4.5 hours?

D, I've spent days (real time) in a single hunt, hunting TgT. Since their release many months ago, I've seen and tracked enough to get my spotting skill on them to level 2 (30%), and my tracking on them level 2 (78%).
Most of these were during BCKidds first heavies comp. I didn't see or track any during your perfect elk comp and I personally love to hunt grizzly bear and RM Elk enough that I spend a vast amount of my time playing the hunter in TgT despite the too many trees, hidden rocks and stumps that get in the way and the ninja bears. The bhs that I have seen have been in the high hills around the northern points of interest... thats it. Nothing in the bush or in the foothills.

I've quit hunting bhs, as beautiful as they are (apparently. Havent been close enough with high visual settings to find out). But one would think that for the hundreds of hours Ive spent on that reserve, that I might have come across one or atleast had one come across me while I am in a tower, ts or blind.

I use the fall camo, I bathe in scent eliminator and I don't run.
Foxtrotter, I'd love to take you on a hunt in the mountains of TGT. I just finished a hunt with 18 sheep in 3 hours (https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/xoed ... n/74909729), and I spent part of that time eating dinner and poking around exploring the north east border of the map. I don't find BHS any more difficult to hunt then any other animal, though I do agree that the mountains are a large part of the map and the herds are few and far between, making it seem desolate up there if you're looking in the wrong places. That said, they're really not difficult to find. I take the same route every time. Sometimes I end up with more, some times I end up with less. I have a sweet spot on the map that has always guaranteed me a decent ram or at least multiple ewes, and that spot is where I killed the number one leaderboard ram for season 20. Most of my knowledge of those mountains was not self taught but rather came from a good friend, and I definitely wouldn't mind sharing all the good advice I've been given.

And yes, that noise everyone has mentioned above is very real. To me, it almost sounds like a distant static when the sheep are 100m+. Any closer then that and I can start picking up on hooves. I've deemed a good gaming headset to prettymuch be a requirement for properly hunting BHS in this game.

Return to “Animal Suggestions”