spotting parameters

L3M182
Outfitter

spotting parameters

Post by L3M182 »

am i the only one that finds the spotting skill to be totally worthless on bear and weight scoring game?.

ive decided to have a crack at a few comps this last week as ive had some time off. mostly feeder camping if im honest but im 100% more into pig shooting than bear purley becasue with bear its a role of a die.
anything with tusks, antlers or horns is fair game simply down to the fact that after a few hunts a player can look at an animal and say yeah that big or no thats not gona be big enough and get very close of a guesstimate after a short while.

bear and weight scoring animals are completley worthless. its impossible to see if its a decent animal until you reach level 15 and thats like 1500+ spots. that a massive amount of in game hours considering we now have 30+species ive played at a rate of about 5-10 hours a week for like 5 years and my highest spotting skill is level 10 and i feel i make a conscious effort to spot animals. if youre not a long time vet but want to compete for any of the predators youre in for some major frustration becasue until you reach that level 15 the score spot skill is usless untill you reach that 1500 spots mark. its made even more frustrating if you use feeders becasue you get one role of that die per feeder then its usless.

i have a few suggestions.
1. simply lower the requirement for levels so we advance faster, now that we have 30+ species and weve had this system since we had only about 8. sharing our hunting time about the species obvious they get less hunting time.
2. increase the parameter percentage from 60% 80% and 90% to 75%, 85%, 95%
3. make range be a factor, say if im withing 150m, 100m, 50m and 25m you get a modifier that gives more accurate estimates
4. after the intial spot required time, if you keep a spot on an animal without breaking line of sight it will continue to give a more accurate reading for instance if i spot a bear the intial info would be gender, than after a solid 10 seconds id get 60% score and weight then after 20 seconds id get 80% score and weight then after 30 seconds id get 95% and as you level up the time to get more accurate info decreases.

idea 4 is my favourite as it gives the old timers with day of game play in the advantage earned for their time yet gives the begginer and casual player a fighting chance they just have to study game longer. and its no easy feat trying to keep eyes on for 30s. seriously try it.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: spotting paramiters

Post by gas56 »

Wow,,, more time for spots and adjusting at incremental levels.
I want the opposite. If I see an animal and put magnification on it I don't want to wait more than a few seconds on any information when I'm spotting it.
I would like to see it as fast as it could pop-up, because when I see an animal up close or with magnification I can field judge it within' 3-4 seconds,
and I don't want to waste any more time to look at it,... especially since this is a game.
If I look at an animal in the game I know when to pull the trigger, and for the most part the spotting info is way too slow to pop up.
I guess that is why my spots are sometimes not registered, because my thought process is way ahead of the time it takes to bring up the spotting info......
Unless I'm doing a specific mission or comp which dubiously has special requirements set in them I may wait a few seconds to see if a weight or score is the same as the
tracking info to shoot the correct animal I've been stalking.
I don't do none of this with ducks or geese, I don't even know why there is spotting or tracking info on them, that is just plane silly for the relevant few seconds before the shot
because you can shoot either sex.
Have a good 1..................GAS
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

You missed my point mate. What do you do for bear or for weight based species? And do you find the info helpful in the slightest?
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

L3M182 wrote:am i the only one that finds the spotting skill to be totally worthless on bear and weight scoring game?.
Not totally worthless, but definitely not adequate to the effort it takes to reach the higher spotting levels.
L3M182 wrote:1. simply lower the requirement for levels so we advance faster, now that we have 30+ species and weve had this system since we had only about 8. sharing our hunting time about the species obvious they get less hunting time.
Absolutely agree! Lower the requirements and group certain species together (bears, foxes, rabbits/hares, pigs etc.) or make it so that spotting one animal advances the spotting skills of other species too, maybe at a lower rate (example: you spot one brown bear and your spotting skill for black, polar, grizzly also increases at a 50% rate or something like that). Maybe this second suggestion might even be easier to implement technically than grouping the species?
L3M182 wrote:2. increase the parameter percentage from 60% 80% and 90% to 75%, 85%, 95%
Absolutely agree! Players that already have high spotting levels and that might dislike the first idea because they earned them "the hard way" would also benefit from that and it would be a win-win.
L3M182 wrote:3. make range be a factor, say if im withing 150m, 100m, 50m and 25m you get a modifier that gives more accurate estimates
4. after the intial spot required time, if you keep a spot on an animal without breaking line of sight it will continue to give a more accurate reading for instance if i spot a bear the intial info would be gender, than after a solid 10 seconds id get 60% score and weight then after 20 seconds id get 80% score and weight then after 30 seconds id get 95% and as you level up the time to get more accurate info decreases.
Even though this would offer more realism and variety I think this would make the system a bit too complicated. Also it would probably be quite a programming task to add those features.
Image Image Image
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

cheers tann, apreciate the reply. yeah i really like the idea of grouping species together, i mentioned it last time i had a moan about the spotting and tracking skills but it wasnt well recived so i didnt add it this time haha. i think thats the best idea yet as it makes sence that a highly experienced brown bear hunter would irl be allot more useful and confident tracking and field judging a grizzly over a first day hunter if he happend to go hunting elswhere.
hopefully this gets reviewed now that the devs seem to have taken a bigger effort to overhaul old features maybe the spotting and tracking will get an overhaul after the feeders.
DarkLord
Scout

Re: spotting parameters

Post by DarkLord »

IMO the problem is the game intentionally gives the player misleading information about the animal by putting it in the highest spotting range possible. For instance if the game spawns a 21.015 black bear, instead of putting it the appropriate spotting range of 18-22 it will almost always put it in 21-24 range. It does this for the weight as well. If a black bear weighs 211 kg it will say 210-290kg instead of 150-240 kg. The game tries its best to make you shoot low scoring animals thinking they are high scoring. Only at level 20 when you get the two point spread does the game stop being able to trick you. Brown bears are the same way.

It has been a source of much frustration for me over the years, especially when I ruin my barrel shooting a scrub bear that the game said was a monster. With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
Spoiler:
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

DarkLord wrote:IMO the problem is the game intentionally gives the player misleading information about the animal by putting it in the highest spotting range possible. For instance if the game spawns a 21.015 black bear, instead of putting it the appropriate spotting range of 18-22 it will almost always put it in 21-24 range. It does this for the weight as well. If a black bear weighs 211 kg it will say 210-290kg instead of 150-240 kg. The game tries its best to make you shoot low scoring animals thinking they are high scoring. Only at level 20 when you get the two point spread does the game stop being able to trick you. Brown bears are the same way.

It has been a source of much frustration for me over the years, especially when I ruin my barrel shooting a scrub bear that the game said was a monster. With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Now only if they made a big black bear to look like one, smaller looking head to proportion of the giant body size,...(even if the head was larger than normal bears)
the medium to large bear range is hard to judge without this feature they look pretty much the same size, since most smaller screen monitors can't relate
when looking at them to what normal size of animals really are. (actually you would need the screen the size of 10' x 8' to get similar likeness)
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

Hawkeye wrote:
DarkLord wrote:IMO the problem is the game intentionally gives the player misleading information about the animal by putting it in the highest spotting range possible. For instance if the game spawns a 21.015 black bear, instead of putting it the appropriate spotting range of 18-22 it will almost always put it in 21-24 range. It does this for the weight as well. If a black bear weighs 211 kg it will say 210-290kg instead of 150-240 kg. The game tries its best to make you shoot low scoring animals thinking they are high scoring. Only at level 20 when you get the two point spread does the game stop being able to trick you. Brown bears are the same way.

The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
And he did not say they have changed ;-)
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Hawkeye wrote:The size & proportions of the "new" bears haven't changed. Only the skin & fur textures, animations and sounds were updated.
maros.kuzar wrote:And he did not say they have changed ;-)
Somehow I interpreted this:
DarkLord wrote:With the old bear models, you could compare a contender with the other bears in the area, looking at the size and proportions of the head and body to get an idea of where its top end might be, but the new bears all look the same to me and it's made matters worse. :?
to mean that bears have changed, as he is stating you used to be able to compare the size and portions, but now the bears all look the same. Where have I got it wrong?

Return to “Animal Suggestions”